• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes 2021

derekdougan

Cricket Spectator
Good morning all, this is my 1st post.I want to go to Adelaide and Sydney next November.When is the best time to book and with which airline? Is it as gruelling as people have told me? Economy or Buisness Class? Any information on the trip would be much appreciated. Regards Tom

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good morning all, this is my 1st post.I want to go to Adelaide and Sydney next November.When is the best time to book and with which airline? Is it as gruelling as people have told me? Economy or Buisness Class? Any information on the trip would be much appreciated. Regards Tom
Never fly economy, son. Ever.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Impossible to say with covid. How long will it take for airlines to bounce back etc...

vandem

International 12th Man
Harden up. Economy is fine if you can manage to sleep for at least 1 hour in a plane seat. If you have sleep problems then perhaps upgrade but is a lot of extra money for what is only 40 hours of your life. Use the money saved for better food and wine in Aussie. Pick a good airline (Emirates, Singapore etc), better food and service. I have done NZ <-> Europe with both short stop (2-6 hours) or stopover (2 nights) in HK / Singapore / UAE, I prefer more direct as it gets all the airport crap done quicker. Lots of websites with long haul travel tips, compression socks, good noise cancelling headphones etc.

Burgey

Harden up. Economy is fine if you can manage to sleep for at least 1 hour in a plane seat. If you have sleep problems then perhaps upgrade but is a lot of extra money for what is only 40 hours of your life. Use the money saved for better food and wine in Aussie. Pick a good airline (Emirates, Singapore etc), better food and service. I have done NZ <-> Europe with both short stop (2-6 hours) or stopover (2 nights) in HK / Singapore / UAE, I prefer more direct as it gets all the airport crap done quicker. Lots of websites with long haul travel tips, compression socks, good noise cancelling headphones etc.
Lol. WTF even is this. Who flies economy by choice? You'd have to have a cerebral deficit to do so.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Lol. WTF even is this. Who flies economy by choice? You'd have to have a cerebral deficit to do so.
Not all economy flights are full. Mrs L&L flew from Paris to Perth (Aust) and we both had a row of seats each to ourselves. Slept the whole way (apart from meals and stopover). Saved a couple of thousand $$$$. That was the exception rather than the norm. On another occasion (Bangkok to Perth) our seat allocations went astray and we ended 20 rows apart. When we pointed out their mistake (we had pre-booked our seats) we received an apology and thought that was it. 10 minutes later we were called to the desk and given an upgrade to First Class.
We'd travel FC all the time but, being pensioners, it is out of our budget.
Sorry Burgey, as a vocal supporter of the left, you show right-wing elitist attitudes.

Burgey

Yeah, labor voters should all wear flat caps and race whippets or else they aren’t true to their beliefs.

be like me saying that because you’re a Tory you shouldn’t cry poor and take a pension off the govt.

What a ****ing woeful take. Seriously.

Reactions: Red

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Before this turns into a class/political war, economy class is fine for long haul unless

a) you are very tall
b) you are actually playing in the Ashes
c) you have arthritis
d) you have babies with nappies to change
e) you are Burgey

Obviously very different with Covid, but you should be able to hopefully get decent prices and connections with at least one of Cathay, Singapore, Emirates, or Qatar.

Burgey

Economy might be “fine” in the same way some Cole’s chuck steak is “fine”, but you’d always rather go the rib eye. Still, it’s better to travel economy than not at all.

Tbh I would definitely recommend Emirates or Singapore in economy. Qantas is massively over priced and average to boot. BA too.

But it’s all going to come down to how the UK is tracking with Covid tbh. Unless there’s a massive turn around and sufficient proof the vaccine is working en masse there won’t be an open border for english tourists sadly.

the up side would be no Barmy Army, who were last mildly amusing in 1995.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Yeah, labor voters should all wear flat caps and race whippets or else they aren’t true to their beliefs.

be like me saying that because you’re a Tory you shouldn’t cry poor and take a pension off the govt.
That may or may not be so, but it is neither here not there. Your second post is literally saying, "you'd have to be an idiot to fly economy." Although the OP is apparently in a position to consider business class, going:
Never fly economy, son. Ever.
is not universalisable advice. Some people may not be able to afford any higher than economy, or may decide they would save money on flights so that they have the money to do something else instead, again, particularly if they consider affordability factors.

Although it may not have been your intention, your post comes across as being contemptuous of 'those people' who won't or can't (and the line is fuzzy there) take luxuries over the basics as far as that sort of thing goes, and I think this is what @Line and Length was getting at. Although not actually there, it is heading down the road towards the ol' destination that the lower classes (or other group of choice) stayed poor because they were mentally deficient.

Having and showing understanding for such choices—even if one would not take them oneself—rather than contempt for those who don't do 'the proper thing' would be more fitting as L&L said.

the up side would be no Barmy Army, who were last mildly amusing in 1995.
Now this I can definitely agree with.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
You can appreciate finer things in life but also appreciate that the Australian Liberal Party are a pack of absolute ****s, liars, and their policies are woefully inadequate for serving the population.

You can also appreciate the finer things in life but value generosity and genuineness over faux marketing, soundbites and fear mongering.

I dont wanna speak for Burgey but I think that's where he's coming from.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Fiddle-faddle. People who claim to value generosity are ill-served—to put it mildly—by acting as bigots without a skerrick of understanding of those who act differently to them.

The party politics thing was completely irrelevant to my post which was making a point about how Burgey's responses appear to completely lack understanding of people who don't 'appreciate the finer things in life' because they are unable to or have different priorities. After all, I said:
it is neither here not there
and nor do you realise that your perceptions may be held by those with whom you disagree, realisation of which would show grace and generosity.

Think about that phrase, 'the finer things in life.' What it implies is that those who don't indulge in luxuries are coarse, unrefined people. What a generous attitude! Of course, no one would choose to not indulge in such things unless they were on a lower plane of development, right? And it definitely is a matter of choice and not necessity, isn't it?

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most political beliefs come more from biology and upbringing than anything else. Those on the right are more likely to advocate for the individual to act on their beliefs while those on the left are more likely to demand collective action.

So Burgey having elitist attitudes while maintaining his political beliefs is entirely normal for one of his political persuasion.