• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ascending batting average draft (tests)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Early pick is certainly a big advantage when order is going to be decided by batting averages.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
It means that after Round 1 there aren't any more rounds; whoever's most recent pick has the lowest average gets to pick next.
So if you pick someone who averages 20 in first round, it is possible that I finish picking 4 players (3 averaging below 20 and 1 averaging above 20) before you get to pick your 2nd player.

Hope that makes it clear so no one makes a misinformed decision in 1st round.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So if you pick someone who averages 20 in first round, it is possible that I finish picking 4 players (3 averaging below 20 and 1 averaging above 20) before you get to pick your 2nd player.

Thanks, Ankit.

Also you can't pick more than 1 player from the same number i.e only one 20.xx.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

I am happy to go along with this, but just to point out this allows the person picking first to always get the 'best' lowest avg person. A later selection in the round can pick somebody lower but could be penalising himself by picking a much poorer quality player. It kinda creates if you near the top you are always near the top selection issue.

Thanks, Ankit.

Can you clarify this point a bit?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I am happy to go along with this, but just to point out this allows the person picking first to always get the 'best' lowest avg person. A later selection in the round can pick somebody lower but could be penalising himself by picking a much poorer quality player. It kinda creates if you near the top you are always near the top selection issue.
Yes, it remains to be seen how this plays out for averages draft. With alphabet or debut year drafts it did not cause any problem because quality had no general correlation with how far you advance on alphabets or year of debut. Averages and quality are certainly correlated.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks, Ankit.

I'll suggest we don't add this condition. It wasn't their ODI version either. It will get very crowded at the top and adhering to it might be near impossible.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll suggest we don't add this condition. It wasn't their ODI version either. It will get very crowded at the top and adhering to it might be near impossible.
It would help prevent somebody who got an early pick stay ahead throughout. Also thought it was in line with only 1 from each letter/year. Don't think overcrowding would be an issue as there are 50+ players who average over 50 with a 4 test minimum.

Keen to hear what others think.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am not sure about the same number thingy.. seems to overcomplicate what should be a simple draft in terms of conditions.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I am not sure about the same number thingy.. seems to overcomplicate what should be a simple draft in terms of conditions.
Agree with HB. Scrap the same number thingy. No need to unnecessarily over-complicate things. It doesn't achieve anything.