• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ascending Average Draft (Tests) - Voting Thread

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
May be I am overthinking all this but here are suggestions for knockout rounds. In a standard league followed by knockouts, if 2 teams from same groups keep winning they only meet in the final. Also if highest seeded player from each group wins QFs then the #1 and #4 seeded teams meet in semi, and #1 and #2 don't meet before finals. To ensure that this is what the lineup for subsequent rounds should look like...

1st QF: G1 winner vs. G2 runner up
2nd QF: G2 winner vs. G1 runner up
3rd QF: G3 winner vs. G4 runner up
4th QF: G4 winner vs. G3 runner up

1st SF: 1st QF winner vs. 4th QF winner
2nd SF: 2nd QF winner vs. 3rd QF winner

Sounds good? :)

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Group 1: Ankitj, mr_mister
Group 2: Fuller Pilch, Marcuss
Group 3: Pothas, Line and Length

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Group 1 -JOJOXI, Ankjit
Group 2 - FullerPilch, Trundler
Group 4 - AndrewB, srbhkshk

srbhkshk

International Captain
Group 1 :
Extremely tough to pick, love JOJO's batting but there really needed to be at least half a bowler more. Red Hill has ATG 3&4 but I am not sure of Tyldesley, decent if not special openers and the bowling has fire. Ankit matches RH's 3&4 and Hadlee is the difference for me. mm's side is solid but the bowling does not appeal to me compared to some of the other sides, ditto for KK.

Overall - AnkitJ , Red Hill.

Group 2 :
FullerPilch has strong batting and good bowling but there are a couple weak links there, Trundler's side is probably better than it looks at first glance and it has Kallis, but in general too dominated by players from the older eras and I can't confidently say where it really stands. Stephen really needed an ATG in the middle order, Zaheer a weak link in bowling too. Marcuss batting is absolutely top class although the order is weird tstl, bowling's good too but another option might have been good as well.

Overall - Fuller Pilch , Marcuss

Group 3 : Any group containing L&L was always gonna be tough to handle and I feel terrible not voting for a side that has Bradman and McGrath in it but I am just not certain the rest of his batting manages much against the bowlers on show here. Coronis has an unfortunate opening pair but brilliant middle order, the bowling holds it's own but not more than that.

Overall Pothas and Teuton just seem to have balanced out the sides very well for me to note vote for them.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I just have so much love for Zaheer Khan. Think he is an underrated bowler, particularly 2nd half of his career. Maybe it is some sort of nostalgia.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I just have so much love for Zaheer Khan. Think he is an underrated bowler, particularly 2nd half of his career. Maybe it is some sort of nostalgia.
He was very very good for a brief period but consider this - Ishant has a better bowling average right now than Zaheer.

And Shami comfortably better than Zaheer.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
He was very very good for a brief period but consider this - Ishant has a better bowling average right now than Zaheer.

And Shami comfortably better than Zaheer.
I am not saying he is better, but I do feel he is underrated. I just loved watching the man bowl

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Group 1 –

JoJo XI - Great openers , great batsmen in middle order but seems like 4 #4s to me. Bowling is good without being great.

Red Hill CC – Not sure of his 5-8 but otherwise very solid side. Probably the most boring opening pair drafted ever. :p

Ankit - Best side so far in the group to me, not sure of the keeper but otherwise top notch.

Mrmr - Awesome batting side but not quite sure of that bowling attack.

KK- AWesome side, just awesome.

Group 2 –

FullerPitch – Very good side with some great players. May bat Sanga at 3 and Labu at 4 but otherwise excellent batting side but slightly lesser bowling, compared to his batting.

Trundler - Solid but lacks some marquee names for such a draft IMO.

StephenZA – I like the eclectic bowling line up but batting is pretty bad compared to rest of the draft

Marcuss – Great batting and decent bowling. Probably #2 to FP.

Group 3 –

Pothas – Like the bowling side and good batting line up too but 3 lefties followed by 3 righties just seems a bit awkward. Would probably bat Smith at 3, tbh.

L&L - Awesome side ultimately due to the Bradman factor. Lots of options with the ball too.

Teuton – Amazing, best side in draft so far for me.

Coronis – Excellent middle order but bowling and openers let the side down a bit. Unlucky to be in this group tbh. Can see this side winning some other groups.

Group 1 – Ankit and KK

Group 2 – FullerPitch and Marcuss

Group 3 – L&L and Teuton

Group 3 is very unlucky as the other two sides could have easily won as part of other groups IMO.

EDIT: Thanks @ankitj for pointing out that I totally missed KK's side. Changed my group 1 vote accordingly. Sorry @JOJOXI

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Ankit - Best side so far in the group to me, not sure of the keeper but otherwise top notch.
As I said in the draft thread, first wicket-keeper to score a test double hundred. Apparently an opening batsman who played in lower order for national side because of his role as wicket-keeper. Bit underrated and unknown.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I actually did forget, kept thinking its 4 teams per group. Editing the original post now. Andmy votes, coz KK's side is damn good.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bothams bowling definitely hurts draft sides I'm learning. Should have gone Dev despite the worse average

Teuton

International Captain
Bothams bowling definitely hurts draft sides I'm learning. Should have gone Dev despite the worse average
For mine, Botham is definitely a good pick and you paired him perfectly with Gregory. You were just in a tough group , I would have voted for you in the others.

Was really really close between you and ankitj with basically equal batting but he got my vote since he had both Hadlee and Walsh.

Last edited: