• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

As a Windies fan i'm insulted

Howe_zat

Audio File
Crap thread when it began with the word 'everyone'.

Don't put words into my mouth and expect me to defend them.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
that said that is the not-out average

like naturally the average of kohli is drastically overinflated when chasing bc he remains not out at the end, and rightly so, but can you find "pure average" for them to see if that changes things?

i'm unsure whether it would actually do more to gayle who often remains not out when he makes his hundreds

i feel that the traditional method of average calculating doesn't work as well for t20 and using just runs over innings would work better because here in the shortest format the individual wicket isn't really valued its more just the team total

like in a t20 its good to sometimes have a y who comes in, makes eighteen off six and gets out to get the chase back on track, but you don't often hear of someone ringing compliments for a guy in a test who comes in, then consolidates the innings but gets out as soon as consolidation is done and dusted
The pertinent stat there for Ilovecric is the strike rate, tbh. It doesn't matter if the runs come via ones and twos or DLF Maximums if they're being scored at the same rate.

And also the first innings stats, because apparently Kohli is a phail there.

91Jmay

International Coach
The no brain comment from Nicholas was poor and out of bounds. Bravo, Bishoo are thinking cricketers.

91Jmay

International Coach
Serious read this article
Mark Nicholas: Who will challenge the ballsy MS Dhoni at the World T20 in India? | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

This guy needs to apologize to the West Indies. Short of brains ?

Now look at this second article with him praising Kohli and Root - seperate issue but it explains why some players will never be respect by some analysis - essentially - WI power hitters are not classy enough - English - Elegant and classical style of play is a thing of beauty and should be praised and remembered.

Mark Nicholas: Joe Root and Virat Kohli show T20 batting can be beautiful and destructive | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

lol

Cricket is a freaking sport - tough sport that even kills and put people in hospital for days and even weeks at times. It's filled with cheaters, liars, corruptions etc. To Isolate the game and focus on some so call art of special players seem a bit too pretentious. This guy is insulting every aggressive and forceful player - you couldn't pay me to watch Root bat and def not in T20. He might score a few good innings here and there but it's unlikely he will leave a mark on the game. The bradman of T20 is ignored for these players - it's nice Kohli likes to chase but setting a target is also equally important and in this arena he fails drastically. Nobody around the world is attracted to the game because of a Root and to a smaller extent - a Kohli - in fact trying to play the game like he does means losing as team realize you can't win by runnings ones and twos lol. Need sixes and fours - lots of them and the ones that demoralize teams. I know this is a different issue from my initial topic but reading Mark's article just inspired a critique. Eng would much rather face India - for one sending them in to bat first improves your chances as demonstrated today. Had Gayle batted for 5 overs WI could have been 70 after 6 and cruising towards 190. The game is evolving and it's showing in ODIs where teams are making 330 plus so often and losing like it's nothing. To survive in this new world requires the forgettable muscled blows - you're not going to ones and twos your way towards chasing 350 or setting such totals for that matter lol.
You know so little about cricket it is embarrassing. If Root scores in the final and we win you are going to be tasting it so hard.

indiaholic

International Captain
Yup and his username is a misnomer. There is no way he likes cricket if he is just a fan of Russell and Gayle.

91Jmay

International Coach
I appreciate Gayle/Russell and their brute power but not enjoying Joe Root/Virat Kohli (or Brian Lara as they are of his ilk) and claiming to be a cricket fan is just baffling to me. How can you not enjoy Kohli's chase vs Aus or Root's vs SA? That seems literally impossible to me.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket is a freaking sport - tough sport that even kills and put people in hospital for days and even weeks at times. It's filled with cheaters, liars, corruptions etc. To Isolate the game and focus on some so call art of special players seem a bit too pretentious. This guy is insulting every aggressive and forceful player - you couldn't pay me to watch Root bat and def not in T20. He might score a few good innings here and there but it's unlikely he will leave a mark on the game. The bradman of T20 is ignored for these players - it's nice Kohli likes to chase but setting a target is also equally important and in this arena he fails drastically. Nobody around the world is attracted to the game because of a Root and to a smaller extent - a Kohli - in fact trying to play the game like he does means losing as team realize you can't win by runnings ones and twos lol. Need sixes and fours - lots of them and the ones that demoralize teams. I know this is a different issue from my initial topic but reading Mark's article just inspired a critique. Eng would much rather face India - for one sending them in to bat first improves your chances as demonstrated today. Had Gayle batted for 5 overs WI could have been 70 after 6 and cruising towards 190. The game is evolving and it's showing in ODIs where teams are making 330 plus so often and losing like it's nothing. To survive in this new world requires the forgettable muscled blows - you're not going to ones and twos your way towards chasing 350 or setting such totals for that matter lol.
lol and you think Root and Kohli don't hit sixes and fours? The beauty of their batting is that in this so called world of 'muscled blows' in T20, they outscore these 'muscular' players with proper cricketing shots. And one of the main reasons teams are losing after making 330 is because of Virat Kohli.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
that said that is the not-out average

like naturally the average of kohli is drastically overinflated when chasing bc he remains not out at the end, and rightly so, but can you find "pure average" for them to see if that changes things?

i'm unsure whether it would actually do more to gayle who often remains not out when he makes his hundreds

i feel that the traditional method of average calculating doesn't work as well for t20 and using just runs over innings would work better because here in the shortest format the individual wicket isn't really valued its more just the team total

like in a t20 its good to sometimes have a y who comes in, makes eighteen off six and gets out to get the chase back on track, but you don't often hear of someone ringing compliments for a guy in a test who comes in, then consolidates the innings but gets out as soon as consolidation is done and dusted
Literally the whole point of chasing is to be not out at the end.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Couple of thoughts:

Yes the media have been utterly ridiculous in their under-rating of the West Indies side. I get the impression they would have done the same even if we had Pollard and Narine available. Chappell is just a halfwit, Warne and Slater are as partisan as it gets and Mark Nicholas just didn't put any thought into that article because IMHO he doesn't really care too much for T20 cricket. Our side is loaded with ridiculous hitting talent and athleticism and we should have been up there with the favourites from the very start. I just think it was rank bad punditry/journalism.

R.E Andre Russell being a drug cheat, Jamaica has a more strenuous drug testing program than any other cricketing nation due to it's athletics programme. He missed some tests but took others. He is not a drug cheat and probably wont even receive a ban. Please stop the ridiculousness.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
As good as a drug cheat.

The way cricket's being run he could've failed and would probably have been banned for a week.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Literally the whole point of chasing is to be not out at the end.
yeah but i feel the nature of t20 lends itself to putting more importance on the runs than the wickets themself

take southee as an example

he makes a ten from four in a test he's irresponsible and should have stuck around

he does it in a t20 and he could have done enough to push the target over par and good on him

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Crap thread when it began with the word 'everyone'.

Don't put words into my mouth and expect me to defend them.
I'll also never get this thing where if you're fan of something and someone insults it, you are somehow personally insulted.