• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Arrogant!!!

Piper

International Captain
Ok Simon and I have been arguing but whether or not Michael Phelps was arrogant to go for 8 gold medals. I said that he wasnt arrogant, for going for it! In my opinion, hes challenging himself to see if he can do it and in my opinion i think hes shown that he is worthy of the 6 golds he won. But Simon says that he has no respect for the rest of the opposition!!!

So what are your opinions on this?
 

steds

Hall of Fame Member
He was never going to win all 8 golds, he was just talking himself up, trying to look hard.
 

Son Of Coco

Hall of Fame Member
I thought the two SA boys were far more arrogant than Phelps. They did well in the 4 x 100, but I thought the how good am i head nodding etc was unneccessary in their individual events as they couldn't really back it up. At least Phelps performed well. But then again, maybe it's just a similar approach to the athletics sprinter.
 

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Well i thought it was a bit off when Phelps won the gold and look gutted cos he didnt break the world record - cant remember what event it was in.

I dont know whether its arrogance of he is just a wierdo, i'm probably leaning towards arrogant wierdo ;)
 

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Give him a break, he is just a 19 year old kid. He never said he was going win 8 golds. It was all hyped up by the US media. He did well to win 8 medals.
 

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'll never, ever, ever listen to an Australian complain about arrogance without nearly wetting myself.

Respect to Phelps for having the guts to go for it. Respect for getting six golds and two bronzes. Respect for annoying Simon.
 

Son Of Coco

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
I'll never, ever, ever listen to an Australian complain about arrogance without nearly wetting myself.

Respect to Phelps for having the guts to go for it. Respect for getting six golds and two bronzes. Respect for annoying Simon.
I have the same problem when the English do it! :p

Yeah, I think you're allowed to be disappointed at not missing the WR if you actually have a chance. Me looking disappointed cause I'd just missed out on the WR in swimming would be arrogance (and blatant stupidity).
 

Tom Halsey

International Coach
You're not telling me that despite scoring for fun at times in the Premiership he's rubbish? The anti-United bias is obvious. :)
 

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Any player can score loads in a Manure shirt because of the number of chances they get.

Just look at the Horse and Smith.

And er, Forlan (runs off laughing)
 

ash chaulk

International Captain
So some of ya'll are telling me that if you had his talent you would not try your best which for him could have been the 8 gold medals and that if you did have his talent you would slow down for other competitors so they can beat you.

plus he didnt even participate in the medally relay he gave his spot up to someone who hadnt won a gold yet because he beat the fella in the race before by a couple of mili seconds
 

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ash chaulk said:
So some of ya'll are telling me that if you had his talent you would not try your best which for him could have been the 8 gold medals and that if you did have his talent you would slow down for other competitors so they can beat you.

plus he didnt even participate in the medally relay he gave his spot up to someone who hadnt won a gold yet because he beat the fella in the race before by a couple of mili seconds
We finally agree on something Ash! Simon is confused, he doesn't understand the difference between confidence and arrogance.

Arrogance is when you think you are so much better than everyone else that they should step aside for you. Like if you fell into the pool for Olympic trials and still try and get in ahead of the guy who qualified fair and square.
 

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
no i still see it as arrogance, i remember him saying "if i swim to my potential, i WILL win 8 gold medals" to me that is under estimating his oppostion....
 

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
broncoman said:
no i still see it as arrogance, i remember him saying "if i swim to my potential, i WILL win 8 gold medals" to me that is under estimating his oppostion....
Um..no. That is confidence. If he had of said "I will win 8 Gold Medals, it doesn't matter who the other 7 competitors are, I will still win." That is arrogance and under estimating his opposition. You can not seriously think that an elite athlete (especially one as good as Phelps) will think that they can't win if they perform to their potential.
 

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think he is arrogant, certainly not arrogant compared to Maurice Greene, self proclaimed 'greatest of all time'. I was pleased to see Greene lose the final of the 100m.
 

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
_Ed_ said:
I don't think he is arrogant, certainly not arrogant compared to Maurice Greene, self proclaimed 'greatest of all time'. I was pleased to see Greene lose the final of the 100m.
now that is arrogant!
 

Top