• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aravinda De Silva vs Martin Crowe

Who was better?

• Aravinda De Silva

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Martin Crowe

Votes: 31 70.5%

• Total voters

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Two quality players worth far more for their country than their batting average might indicate. Crowe and De Silva were the batting stars of the '92 and '96 world cups respectively. Both were super entertaining with terrific techniques. The weight of having to be their country's best and only world class batsman nearly their entire careers was a heavy one, but both still managed a large amount of tons per test.

Anyway, who was better?

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Crowe pretty easily. He was genuinely considered up there with the best in the world at points in the 80s. Aravinda as good as he was never reached that status and was nowhere near as consistently good.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good comparison. Big guns but would rate Crowe slightly ahead (long way were it purely on asthetics. the bloke was silky smooth.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Aravinda would be infinitely more effective if recalled to represent his country at the current time. An ATG player of the short ball, as a kid I used to love watching his brutal pulling and hooking.

digiosmosis

Cricket Spectator
Martin Crowe gave a wonderful performance in 1992 world cup in most of the games. Aravinda DeSilva played crucial innings in both final and semi final of 1996 world cup.

Gob

International Coach
Martin Crowe gave a wonderful performance in 1992 world cup in most of the games. Aravinda DeSilva played crucial innings in both final and semi final of 1996 world cup.
Classic case of what Burgey was talking about the other day. ***** is happening to this joint

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
Tough this one, both represented not so good sides and were nucleus of their batting, be it in tests or odis...as far as test records are concerned, De Silva's performance outside sri lanka does not make a good reading (much like a batting star of later generation, jayawardhane), in fact, NZ is the only place where de silva averages 40+ outside SL. Crowe's almost the same, only difference of course is his commanding performance in Australia...

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
When I first saw Martin Crowe I thought he was going to be a truly great player in the class of Lara/Tendulkar (yes I know he came before them but I'm just using that comparison to say how good I thought he was going to be). He never quite reached those heights, but still knocks spots off De Silva.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Classic case of what Burgey was talking about the other day. ***** is happening to this joint
People are talking about what cricket they are interested in on a cricket forum?

I prefer tests, but let's not begrudge new members the chance to talk about what interests them. It's hard enough to have active members, let's not portray some sort of elitism.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
I would go for Crowe as well. But I've heard Sangakarra say on a couple of occasions that both him and Mahela agree that DeSilva was the GOAT SL batsman.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I would go for Crowe as well. But I've heard Sangakarra say on a couple of occasions that both him and Mahela agree that DeSilva was the GOAT SL batsman.
Both are humble enough never to nominate themselves as a candidate.

I think this is a very difficult choice and only national bias would allow me to favor Crowe. Both were the clear no.1 in their teams and whilst De Silva won the world I cannot help but wonder what M.D. Crowe would have done in the 1992 final.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
But I've heard Sangakarra say on a couple of occasions that both him and Mahela agree that DeSilva was the GOAT SL batsman.
I reckon he was as well. Definitely a better batsman than Sanga although Sanga achieved more.