• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Appropriate Punishment for Smith from CA

What punishment should Smith be handed out?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So because we bowled slow short rubbish this means the Aussies weren't tampering with the ball? OK.
Not what I said

England (and New Zealand before them) rarely put the ball in the right areas to swing while Australia did

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Not what I said

England (and New Zealand before them) rarely put the ball in the right areas to swing while Australia did
Yeah but you were replying to this comment from Flibberty....

As Broad said, why change from the tactics that worked in the ashes when they got it reversing and we didn't? They were cheating for ages and everyone knows it bar you.
Essentially your response was ignoring the major point being made and you just focused on the "and we didn't" part..........which is really irrelevant to whether Australia did or did not tamper with the ball during that series.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Not voting as there's no 'strip him of the captaincy' option.

I don't think they need to punish him over and above his ICC punishment.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Suspension for a few games, but allowed to carry on as Australian captain

He'll be required to attend those captains' conclaves and sign and swear with a straight face to uphold the spirit of cricket and surely that's the sort of solemn stuff that'll keep him on the right path.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England couldnt get it to reverse because they bowled half rat power short crap for most of the series

Short memories on here
Look I am not saying the series result would have changed as the Aussies would have beaten us, might have been 3-1 not 4-0 maybe but we would have lost.

What I am saying is that in Perth the Aussies had it reversing after about 10 overs, that is more than a little bit suspicious, add to it the sugar in pocket clip and it all points to Australia tampering with the ball all series and god knows how long before that.

Starfighter

Look I am not saying the series result would have changed as the Aussies would have beaten us, might have been 3-1 not 4-0 maybe but we would have lost.

What I am saying is that in Perth the Aussies had it reversing after about 10 overs, that is more than a little bit suspicious, add to it the sugar in pocket clip and it all points to Australia tampering with the ball all series and god knows how long before that.
Yeah... no. Just no. Don't know which match you were watching.

Spark

Global Moderator

Yeah this definitely isn't true.

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh I mean the reverse swing after 10 overs thing. IIRC there was barely any swing full stop in the 1st innings, and Starc's spell with the reverse swinging ball in the 2nd innings came after 25-30 overs.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh I mean the reverse swing after 10 overs thing. IIRC there was barely any swing full stop in the 1st innings, and Starc's spell with the reverse swinging ball in the 2nd innings came after 25-30 overs.
I knew it was early was just going off a tweet by Mitchell Johnson saying the reverse was after about 10 overs. He must be lying too then.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
What if comes out that this tampering business has been happening for ages? Would you guys still be content with a 6 month ban?

Gnske

What if comes out that this tampering business has been happening for ages? Would you guys still be content with a 6 month ban?
I believe gallows are relatively easy to construct with an experienced carpenter on hand.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The poll results seem to indicate we're actually content with something a fair bit less than a six month ban, as long as he gets stripped of captaincy permanently.

But yeah my answer is still yes. If he's decided to tamper with the ball as captain then it just proves he's not mentally strong or principled enough to be captain and should not be considered for the role again. The only way I'd have my mind changed was if it turned out he actually fixed games, in which case I'd want him banned for life.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I wonder how far ****ed Steve Smith's head is right now. If as the consensus seems to be, strip him of the captaincy but stick with the ICC 1 game ban........is he mentally going to be able to carry on and pile on the runs like it's business as usual?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I wonder how far ****ed Steve Smith's head is right now. If as the consensus seems to be, strip him of the captaincy but stick with the ICC 1 game ban........is he mentally going to be able to carry on and pile on the runs like it's business as usual?
Time for a 'Steve Smith average watch' thread?

Andy1867

Cricket Spectator
What did Afridi get for actually biting the ball?
Its got to be something similar hasn't it?
Atherton....Fined, don't think he was banned.
There has to be a hard and fast rule set, this has to be set by the ICC, until then its patently unfair not to go by past penalties on players who have been caught previously.
This sort of misconception that it was somehow "Premeditated" and others were not, baffles me....Did Atherton first decide to put soil in his pocket for some other reason?, it was hardly spur of the moment was it?
As a Pom, its hard not to revel in the discomfort of a team that has always maintained they play it "Hard but fair", but as far as penalties for doing what most every other cricket playing nation has done in the past.
The penalty should be harsh....but fair, and its only fair they are treated the same as everyone else...isn't it?