• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Appropriate Punishment for Smith from CA

What punishment should Smith be handed out?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wow... the CA report seems to indicate that Smith has been banned for "directing that evidence of attempted tampering be concealed on the field of play", "misled match officials and others regarding Bancroft’s attempts to artificially alter the condition of the ball" and "making misleading public comments regarding the nature, extent and participants of the plan".

So that would be, er, telling Bancroft to hide his sandpaper and then trying to take the fall for the more devious elements of the saga that he wasn't actually involved with (according to the report anyway -- I'm not making a speculative judgement here beyond that, before people reply telling me they don't buy that). Worthy of a year's ban apparently. Ouch.
Maybe it was Smith's genius idea to tell Bancroft to show his glasses case instead to the umps?

I think we need a timeline of events set out at some point, because I'm getting confused with which lie was covering up for what truth or what cover up was covering for what lie or what lie was servicing what cover up.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wow... the CA report seems to indicate that Smith has been banned for "directing that evidence of attempted tampering be concealed on the field of play", "misled match officials and others regarding Bancroft’s attempts to artificially alter the condition of the ball" and "making misleading public comments regarding the nature, extent and participants of the plan".

So that would be, er, telling Bancroft to hide his sandpaper and then trying to take the fall for the more devious elements of the saga that he wasn't actually involved with (according to the report anyway -- I'm not making a speculative judgement here beyond that, before people reply telling me they don't buy that). Worthy of a year's ban apparently. Ouch.
This makes it even more unbelievable that Lehmann got away with it. We literally saw him radio Handscomb ffs.

Spikey

If you think about it, vic_orthdox could have prevented all this from happening 12 odd years ago

Spikey

I'd have to watch the convo between Comb Boy and Ball Tampering Boy again, because it sure didn't look like Petey was delivering a harsh message

Andy1867

Cricket Spectator
I'd have to watch the convo between Comb Boy and Ball Tampering Boy again, because it sure didn't look like Petey was delivering a harsh message
I'd guess it went
Lehman sees the footage on the screen tells Handscombe to let Bancroft know he's been rumbled but to make it look like a normal chat
Bancroft then clumsily sandpapers his scrotum

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think 1 year for Smith on top of losing the captaincy is overkill, but at the same time you have to admire CA & the national reaction in general (even if it has been a little over-the-top).

I never would have guessed they'd react quite so strongly on the principle of the thing. Always thought Australia were about winning first and foremost, and everything else comes second, but this reaction has quite clearly proved otherwise. Fair play Australia,
No.

This is the nauseating self righteousness that Australia are world class at.

Bijed

International Regular
The bans do seem a bit too long, but in Warner's case especially it seems that he was particularly deceptive regarding his involvement, which has to merit greater punishment. Him being ruled out of leadership positions for the future is bang on. I reckon if they appeal and Smith can get his ban reduced it'll be a fair enough outcome, as long as he never gets the captaincy again. I was going to say maybe 3 months knocked off Smith's and Bancroft's bans, but I don't know if in practice that'd mean much the same as they've already got. So probably 6 months of Smith's ban, but they obviously can't reduce Bancroft's by that amount.

As for Lehmann, is it possible that CA might find him innocent of any involvement in this incident, but maybe suggest to him that it's the culture he's cultivated that has allowed this to happen and that maybe he should resign a bit earlier than planned?

Also

In addition, all three players will be required to undertake 100 hours of voluntary service in community cricket.
Gotta love some required voluntary service

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
In other news, Camberwell Magpies Cricket Club have included three more candidates in their search for a new captain/coach.

Spikey

Do you plan to include "can tell stories about Warner" on your resume when you go looking for a club in England

YorksLanka

International Debutant
although I voted 2 years on the vote, in retrospect I think the punishment from CA was fair. Only thing for me is that I don't believe that the coach wasn't aware in it all so i feel he got away with this one. Well done to CA for showing the integrity that the ICC didn't..

Borges

International Regular
I mean they were even lying when they were confessing!
That's what I find intriguing; what purpose did they think that would serve?

I can't help thinking that some one must have offered to coach Smith about what to say in he presser, and the poor sod swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

Andy1867

Cricket Spectator
I find the bans proportional. I mean they were even lying when they were confessing!
Proportional to what though?
Its totally out of proportion to any past penalty for the same offense isn't?
So what do you hold as the yardstick for "proportion"
Mike atherton claimed he was simply "Maintaining the condition of the ball" rather than trying to alter it...truth?
I would say fair enough if the ICC after these previous incidents had put in place these hard penalties, but we have jumped from a 5 run penalty and maybe a fine, to 12 months suspended from the game, mainly because they are "Australians" in my opinion, the fact that it has been imposed by other Australians doesn't make it a just punishment

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Proportional to what though?
Its totally out of proportion to any past penalty for the same offense isn't?
So what do you hold as the yardstick for "proportion"
Mike atherton claimed he was simply "Maintaining the condition of the ball" rather than trying to alter it...truth?
I would say fair enough if the ICC after these previous incidents had put in place these hard penalties, but we have jumped from a 5 run penalty and maybe a fine, to 12 months suspended from the game, mainly because they are "Australians" in my opinion, the fact that it has been imposed by other Australians doesn't make it a just punishment
It is no longer about simply ball-tampering, but about bringing the game in ill-repute.