• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Appropriate Punishment for Smith from CA

What punishment should Smith be handed out?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has Ponting had anything to say about this yet? I see Steve Waugh has made a lengthy fb post which conveniently omits all the **** his side got up to in the day.

Seriously, I’m a massive Steve Waugh fan, but that bloke gets let off the hook massively with what was said and done under his leadership by that team.

Zinzan

So can we assume “significant sanctions” is going to be worse than the punishment most CW'ers voted for here?

You'd think that'd mean at least 6 months and perhaps even 1 year.

Spark

Global Moderator
Utterly ridiculous if true.......and even more farcial if Lehmann keeps his job.
1 year bans for all but no backroom or structural changes would be almost a total capitulation to mob justice with no real attempt at systematic change IMO.

Zinzan

I think 1 year for Smith on top of losing the captaincy is overkill, but at the same time you have to admire CA & the national reaction in general (even if it has been a little over-the-top).

I never would have guessed they'd react quite so strongly on the principle of the thing. Always thought Australia were about winning first and foremost, and everything else comes second, but this reaction has quite clearly proved otherwise. Fair play Australia,

Daemon

I think 1 year for Smith on top of losing the captaincy is overkill, but at the same time you have to admire CA & the national reaction in general (even if it has been a little over-the-top).

I never would have guessed they'd react quite so strongly on the principle of the thing. Always thought Australia were about winning first and foremost, and everything else comes second, but this reaction has quite clearly proved otherwise. Fair play Australia,
Don't fall for the trap

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

More like we're just idiots who seem to get off on being offended and telling people that you're offended and causing very real damage in retribution to being offended.

Last edited:

Andy1867

Cricket Spectator
Far too harsh, it should be commensurate with past penalties for the same offence.
We have jumped from a bloody 5 run penalty to taking someone's living away for a year
The AC should have let this one go the same way as other countries in the past and then warned future offenders of the fate awaiting them.
The ICC should also now put swingeing laws in place for future offenders.
Wonder if they can appeal

Spark

Global Moderator
Far too harsh, it should be commensurate with past penalties for the same offence.
We have jumped from a bloody 5 run penalty to taking someone's living away for a year
The AC should have let this one go the same way as other countries in the past and then warned future offenders of the fate awaiting them.
The ICC should also now put swingeing laws in place for future offenders.
Wonder if they can appeal
They can, within 7 days then can choose to take it to an independent hearing if they want

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wow... the CA report seems to indicate that Smith has been banned for "directing that evidence of attempted tampering be concealed on the field of play", "misled match officials and others regarding Bancroft’s attempts to artificially alter the condition of the ball" and "making misleading public comments regarding the nature, extent and participants of the plan".

So that would be, er, telling Bancroft to hide his sandpaper and then trying to take the fall for the more devious elements of the saga that he wasn't actually involved with (according to the report anyway -- I'm not making a speculative judgement here beyond that, before people reply telling me they don't buy that). Worthy of a year's ban apparently. Ouch.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
With the report from CA, I think there's going to be more of an acceptance of this harsh sentence over the next few days.