• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Symonds dies in car accident

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
RIP

Was an incredible athlete, don’t think I’ve seen a better fielder since he retired.

Victor Ian

International Coach
That fielding he did where he just slides on his chest to the boundary, grasps the ball in hand and gets up and throws it like a bullet is forever etched in my mind. Is there a YouTube montage of his fielding, like the hour long Ponting one?

tooextracool

International Coach
Not very good at tributes, but these recent tragedies are a little hard to swallow. In my mind, Symonds was the most versatile and easily the best fielder in the history of the game. He added value literally anywhere on the ground.

TheJediBrah

Not very good at tributes, but these recent tragedies are a little hard to swallow. In my mind, Symonds was the most versatile and easily the best fielder in the history of the game. He added value literally anywhere on the ground.
Never saw him in slips but definitely true for every other position. Way he was he could probably go to slip and be better than Mark Waugh if he wanted to but just wasn't interested in standing still all day.

Daemon

It’s particularly impressive given his bulk, same with Pollard as well. It’s freakish how those guys move so quick.

Flem274*

123/5
In retrospect we didn't really know how lucky we were with Symonds, Ponting, Clarke and Hussey patrolling the ODI infield. They put some very good fielding units well into their shadow.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That fielding he did where he just slides on his chest to the boundary, grasps the ball in hand and gets up and throws it like a bullet is forever etched in my mind. Is there a YouTube montage of his fielding, like the hour long Ponting one?
The run out where he dives at mid on and then hits the stumps from a sitting position is pretty impressive too. As are the side on hits with one stump to aim at. He was incredible.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nice of u to quote the guys calling social on the bs than the actual post.
It’s hardly BS

Simple fact is that it can easily be argued that Symonds was of another era as lots of things were acceptable in the 70s and 80s that weren’t in his time

For example, David Boon breaking the drinking record on a flight is the stuff of legend whereas today that would probably see you sent home

Symonds was in many ways his own worst enemy as he didn’t change with the times and it cost him in terms of appearances for his country

He admitted that himself

Doesn’t mean that he wasn’t one of the greatest talents we ever saw or that he wasn’t a lovely guy

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
It’s hardly BS

Simple fact is that it can easily be argued that Symonds was of another era as lots of things were acceptable in the 70s and 80s that weren’t in his time

For example, David Boon breaking the drinking record on a flight is the stuff of legend whereas today that would probably see you sent home

Symonds was in many ways his own worst enemy as he didn’t change with the times and it cost him in terms of appearances for his country

He admitted that himself

Doesn’t mean that he wasn’t one of the greatest talents we ever saw or that he wasn’t a lovely guy
The problem is with cricket admin. reducing cricketers to mere monetised commodities rather than seeing each cricketer as a unique human being (yes I despise neoliberalism).

Cricket actually needs the likes of Symonds, Boon, Botham, Hughes, Flintoff etc in order to remain exciting and relevant to the public.