• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andre Nel and sledging

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nel didn't randomly start sledging after Gilly started smashing him for consecutive 4s. He started when he managed to get the out of form Gilly to play a pull shot when the shot wasn't on, and the ball skied up to the offside. DeVilliers wasn't able to catch it though, and so as a fast bowler often does, Nel began sledging Gilly to try and entice him to play more shots like that.

Nel actually outsmarted Gilly by almost getting him out, the problem was that Gilly is a class act and almost getting out didn't result in him putting away his shots, but rather continuing to play them as that was what he was sent out there to do, and after the mis-timed pull he connected with those.

Nel copped a little too much criticism for that incident IMO. Gilly was right to have a crack back at him though, because Nel kept going after he was being smashed.

Craig

World Traveller
Honestly they are times when it is best not to say anything, and try and get him out instead because that is the best answer.

Craig

World Traveller
C_C said:
How about this novel idea : BAN sledging !

People keep saying sledging is a part of the game - i fail to see how this part is anything apart from 'deseased and festering'.
So how do you police it and how to you define it?

Do you consider it a sledge if a batsman play's and misses a few times and the bowler say's something sarcasticly, or just sarcasim and does that count as a sledge?

Also how do you punish the offenders? Fines? The ICC might be making some more money this way...

There is nothing wrong with sledging IMO unless you can back it up (otherwise you are a clown) and it is anything personal or offensive.

Swervy

International Captain
C_C said:
What part of absuing or getting abused is 'fun' ?
Why not throw in a punch or two in the name of fun and competitive spirit ?
Ever watched the WI of the 80s ? hardly said a word but if looks and body language could kill and convey hostility, they would win by a country mile and half.
Lets gun for that instead !
dont worry, WIs back then often had words to say...and kicking over stumps and barging umpires!!!!!

Craig

World Traveller
And commenting they had several teams that were capable of beating New Zealand, which is funny because they lost the series and the biggest case of arrogance and SLS I have read about (it was in Sir Richard Hadlee's autobiography published in (IIRC) 1981).

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
What part of absuing or getting abused is 'fun' ?
Why not throw in a punch or two in the name of fun and competitive spirit ?
Ever watched the WI of the 80s ? hardly said a word but if looks and body language could kill and convey hostility, they would win by a country mile and half.
Lets gun for that instead !
Does body language include kicking stumps out of the ground in dissent?

Edit: Swervy obviously gets up earlier than me

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Andre Nel often sledges the batsman after being hit for a boundary. I like Nadre Nel, but seriously, the batsmen should be givin it right back

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sledging is just boring when carried out by a bowler who takes it too far, and when you get hit for 22 in an over, you trudge back to fine leg, have a think, and decide that you are going to either maim or dismiss the batsman in the next over.. You don't throw all your toys out of the cot and have a go at the batsman of all people, show him some respect..

I'm afraid the school of brilliant sledging seems to be a fading one, now you just get prissy idiots trying to stamp their claim on cricket by using their mouth rather than a bat or ball..

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
what the hell is up with that? They need to tone down their sledging. Asking to switch off stump mikes means they are guilty as charged, really... Not that I am surprised.
I think the point is that they were swearing on the field (which is obviously not against the rules) and they didn't want there to be censorship issues with it coming through over the stump mics.

C_C

International Captain
Craig said:
And commenting they had several teams that were capable of beating New Zealand, which is funny because they lost the series and the biggest case of arrogance and SLS I have read about (it was in Sir Richard Hadlee's autobiography published in (IIRC) 1981).
That was the singular biggest case of biassed umpiring.
I am not justifying the barging into the ump or kicking down the stumps stuff but when you repeatedly get called for noball AFTER the stumps are rattled or the catch is settling in Dujon's gloves, its rather pushing it.
Besides, that was one off, not the continuous stream of verbal diarrea like it is today.

C_C

International Captain
Craig said:
So how do you police it and how to you define it?

Do you consider it a sledge if a batsman play's and misses a few times and the bowler say's something sarcasticly, or just sarcasim and does that count as a sledge?

Also how do you punish the offenders? Fines? The ICC might be making some more money this way...

There is nothing wrong with sledging IMO unless you can back it up (otherwise you are a clown) and it is anything personal or offensive.

How do i define it : Any racist or abusive terms thrown in. Richards to Gavaskar incident is very much on ( where Gavaskar came in at #4 with the score at 0/2 and Viv quipping 'nomatter where you come, the score is at zero'). Throwing in cuss words, racist connotations etc. is most definately not on.

How do i police it : match bans. Doubles everytime the player is caught swearing/using racist lingo.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
To police it isn't to decide on a punishment, it's to decide who gets punished.

The fact is, racial abuse is already banned. I mean, people in the crowd are getting in trouble for racially abusing players, you really think guys on the field get away with it? Darren Lehmann got a match ban for making a racist comment while he was walking into the Australian dressing room, anyone who did it on the pitch would get the book thrown at them.

Most sledging is of the sort you described there - jokes and mindgames at the expense of the opposition. I'm sure you get a fair amount of the "**** you, mate" stuff as well, but once again that's pretty tame. As it is, the ICC punishes racial abuse and over the top antics such as sendoffs to the pavilion and so on. It's hard to imagine what more you want them to do, unless you propose banning swearing on the field or something.

And for what its worth, sledging has been a part of the game for decades. To blame it on the current Australian team is incredibly short-sighted. Viv Richards, for example, talks in his bio about calling Craig McDermott a "****ing coward" or something of the sort for backing away from bouncers.

C_C

International Captain
It's hard to imagine what more you want them to do, unless you propose banning swearing on the field or something.
Thats exactly what i want.

. To blame it on the current Australian team is incredibly short-sighted
I am not blaming it on the current OZ side. I am blaming it on the OZ side of the 70s who took sledging to deplorable depths and how the following OZ team has carried on that legacy.
When it comes to sledging, OZ is indisputably the worst offender over the decades.
Thats the reason they catch all this heat IMO.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
KaZoH0lic said:
C_C meet Chess.
Try playing with Kasparov. He will sledge you all the way to Championships and the worst part is he doesn't need to do that. ;)

Anyways, I am with C_C on this one, Personal abuse, racist abuse should be banned.

It's funny to see some cry babies though, they sledge all their life, but the moment someone sledges them back, they start crying like a 5 year old. :):)

C_C

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
So it's ok to throw a cricket ball but not to throw a few expletives?

;)

well i am against throwing the ball at batsmen as well.
:)

I simply do not like the pervasive escalating hostility in cricket.....people should remember that this is just a fricking GAME. Not life and death. And the ones who treat it as life and death need a chillpill