• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andre Nel and sledging

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
A part of the game is psychological. Sledging someone pertains to the psychological duel. Insults, petty and racist are one thing. Sportsman-like I like, it shows the hunger and the fight in the 'dog'. For example, Warne taunting Smith by calling him a 'Young'n". That's sport, in any competitive arena it exists. If players cannot take these kind of remarks, they should have stayed in home economics classes more often.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Thats exactly what i want.
Why swearing? Is it really worse to say "you can't ****ing bat" than "you can't bat"? Seems a pretty pointless distinction to me. The fact is, if you want to enforce something like this as a rule, it has to be clearly defined. If you ban swearing, people will sledge without swearing. If you ban insults, how do you define what an insult is?

C_C said:
I am not blaming it on the current OZ side. I am blaming it on the OZ side of the 70s who took sledging to deplorable depths and how the following OZ team has carried on that legacy.
When it comes to sledging, OZ is indisputably the worst offender over the decades.
Thats the reason they catch all this heat IMO.
How is that? England and the West Indies sledged through the 70s and 80s as well. Some of them are renowned for it. Certainly Ian Chappell and Steve Waugh have the worst reputations as captains, but 90% of that comes from the fact that they were simply honest about it. They embraced sledging as one of many tactics they could implement to attempt to gain a mental advantage over the opposition. Othe teams did that too, they just didn't talk about it.

Like Steve Waugh said - test cricket is a test of all your cricketing attibutes. Concentration, skill, technique, and mental toughness. Sledging is part of that testing process.

Mind you, I think certain mindless kinds of sledging are ineffective and stupid. Just yelling abuse at someone is pointless, but I don't see how you can ban it without taking some of the valuable stuff out of the game as well.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
C_C said:
KaZo, meet well mannered people who have proper 'broughtupcy'.
Nonsense. Half the England batsmen have usually been public school boys over the years, and they play the game as tough and as rough as anybody else. Professional sport is no place for wallflowers, and if they have lead a sheltered life they soon grow up (or become estate agents).

C_C

International Captain
KaZoH0lic said:
A part of the game is psychological. Sledging someone pertains to the psychological duel. Insults, petty and racist are one thing. Sportsman-like I like, it shows the hunger and the fight in the 'dog'. For example, Warne taunting Smith by calling him a 'Young'n". That's sport, in any competitive arena it exists. If players cannot take these kind of remarks, they should have stayed in home economics classes more often.
To me, anything beyond the good ol 'its red, its round and it weighs 4 ounces' followed by ' you know what it looks like...now go find it' is abusive.
Abusive is also in the tone. You have to remember that.
And i dont give a **** how much the dog wants to win, the dog better have some sense of decency. I am pretty sure Zimbabwe can against OZ win by just stabbing all its batsmen to death.
There is a limit to uncouth behaviour.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
To me, anything beyond the good ol 'its red, its round and it weighs 4 ounces' followed by ' you know what it looks like...now go find it' is abusive.
Abusive is also in the tone. You have to remember that.
And i dont give a **** how much the dog wants to win, the dog better have some sense of decency. I am pretty sure Zimbabwe can against OZ win by just stabbing all its batsmen to death.
There is a limit to uncouth behaviour.
I think you've been in the books for too long Mr. Chips.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
C_C said:
well i am against throwing the ball at batsmen as well.
:)

I simply do not like the pervasive escalating hostility in cricket.....people should remember that this is just a fricking GAME. Not life and death. And the ones who treat it as life and death need a chillpill
EDIT: Ignore post. Misread the quote.

C_C

International Captain
Why swearing? Is it really worse to say "you can't ****ing bat" than "you can't bat"? Seems a pretty pointless distinction to me. The fact is, if you want to enforce something like this as a rule, it has to be clearly defined. If you ban swearing, people will sledge without swearing. If you ban insults, how do you define what an insult is?
Yes, it is worse to say 'you cant ****ing bat'.
Swearing is using explicit and indecent language. Its just that simple.

How is that? England and the West Indies sledged through the 70s and 80s as well.
Mate, the WI sledged once in a blue moon, unlike the OZ who sledge constantly.
I wonder how many players are on record about the WI sledging and how many are on the record about OZ sledging.

Like Steve Waugh said - test cricket is a test of all your cricketing attibutes. Concentration, skill, technique, and mental toughness. Sledging is part of that testing process
Well by that definition, pointing a gun to your head would certainly be *THE* test of mental toughness. I am sure that would be justified.

C_C

International Captain
Tom Halsey said:
So what's the difference then between the odd word and actually throwing the ball at them?

By what you've just said throwing the ball should be banned too.

Ofcourse i think the Harmison-Inzy type incidents should be absolutely banned

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Yes, it is worse to say 'you cant ****ing bat'.
Swearing is using explicit and indecent language. Its just that simple.

Mate, the WI sledged once in a blue moon, unlike the OZ who sledge constantly.
I wonder how many players are on record about the WI sledging and how many are on the record about OZ sledging.

Well by that definition, pointing a gun to your head would certainly be *THE* test of mental toughness. I am sure that would be justified.
LOL. Where do you live mate? Alcatraz?

C_C

International Captain
KaZoH0lic said:
I think you've been in the books for too long Mr. Chips.
And i think some people will do anything just to win and then pretend it was all fine and dandy.
I guess when one picks the 'end justifies means' philosophy, anything goes.
And one tends to lose perspective. Not uncommon really.

C_C

International Captain
KaZoH0lic said:
LOL. Where do you live mate? Alcatraz?
Counter my argument with argument mate.
Tell me why swearing and sledging should have a place in the sport.
Perhaps 'keep your yap shut, keep yer head down and let your bat or ball do the talking' is a philosophy thats lost on you ?
Where do you draw the line and why.
Next time a bowler threatens batsman by saying he's gonna shove an AK 47 up his rear end after the match, i guess that too is a part of 'mental disintegration'.
8-)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
And i think some people will do anything just to win and then pretend it was all fine and dandy.
I guess when one picks the 'end justifies means' philosophy, anything goes.
And one tends to lose perspective. Not uncommon really.
The irony is that you've lost all perspective here. As you said, it's a game. Murdering someone? Um, physically abusing someone? See where you went again? We're talking of the characteristics of competitive sports. Whether you like it or not it will remain. The forms can vary, it will always be there. Unless some nut actually shares your reasoning and manages to make the game very 'friendly'. Soft ball, plastic bat. No spikes on shoes...etc. :laugh:

C_C

International Captain
Jamee999 said:
Did you just imply that insulting someone is akin to murdering them?
No, i implied that if 'mental disintegration' is the objective, ie, to mentally affect a player, i am sure a threat about decapitation with the ball is much less effective than the threat of strafing a guy with an automatic rifle after the match.
Mental disintegration, right ?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Counter my argument with argument mate.
Tell me why swearing and sledging should have a place in the sport.
Perhaps 'keep your yap shut, keep yer head down and let your bat or ball do the talking' is a philosophy thats lost on you ?
Where do you draw the line and why.
Next time a bowler threatens batsman by saying he's gonna shove an AK 47 up his rear end after the match, i guess that too is a part of 'mental disintegration'.
8-)
I don't need to counter you, I just reply to you to fuel you. You obviously haven't much experience in the sporting arena, or for that matter, a hostile environment. I'm lost as to which cricketer has shown inklings of saying "gonna shove an AK 47 up his rear end after the match". I'm lost, I thought this was cricket?

C_C

International Captain
We're talking of the characteristics of competitive sports
Is tennis competetive ?
Is football competetive ?

Whether you like it or not it will remain.
Whether you like it or not, it remains because of this kind of justifications and apathy shown towards it.
Start tossing players out for half a dozen tests each time they direct expletives at another player and see how long it 'remains'.

C_C

International Captain
KaZoH0lic said:
I don't need to counter you, I just reply to you to fuel you. You obviously haven't much experience in the sporting arena, or for that matter, a hostile environment. I'm lost as to which cricketer has shown inklings of saying "gonna shove an AK 47 up his rear end after the match". I'm lost, I thought this was cricket?

HA !
Look mate - i've bowled at nets to established batsmen and lets just say I have won a game or two against some of the world top 50 tennis players 6-7 years ago in the juniors.
Dont try to get sanctimonious or condescending with me. I am precisely aware of what a sporting arena is like....i dont like advertising it or tooting my own horn, but i will mention it next time a patsy like you tries to take the 'you dont know what yer talking about' route. For you, uncouthness might be a part of sports. For me, it isnt. Never had to resort to it regardless of whether i was winning or losing. Dont try to tell me how its 'integral' part of sports, because it isnt. Its integral to ones who lose perspective and wanna win by any means necessary, along with not much proper parenting.

And yes, you are lost. I know.
8-)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Is tennis competetive ?
Is football competetive ?

Whether you like it or not, it remains because of this kind of justifications and apathy shown towards it.
Start tossing players out for half a dozen tests each time they direct expletives at another player and see how long it 'remains'.
Tennis: McEnroe, Hewitt, Coria...etc.

Football: Every bloody team.