• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Allan Donald vs Joel Garner

Who was the greater bowler?

• Allan Donald

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Joel Garner

Votes: 16 40.0%

• Total voters

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That doesn't explain the flogging he received in ODIs from Indians.
18 matches isn't a huge sample size. The majority of them were played after his golden period in ODIs (pre 1998).

In fact, Warne's ODI career can be divided along very similar lines as his test career, with the exception that he didn't play as long. Pre-1998 he averaged 22, taking 130 wickets in 80 matches (1.6 wpm). Post-1998 he took 160 wickets at an average of 28 in 114 matches (1.4 wpm).

But comparing ODIs to tests is like apples to oranges. It also doesn't help your bloke's case either, given the way he was belted by Australians, particularly in important matches.

stephen

Every cricket performance ever is a product of circumstance.
Isn't that begging the question though. I could say the reason I don't average 99.94 with the bat is because of circumstance. But the truth is that the reason I don't average that is because I'm a **** batsman, not because I would be as good as Bradman but was carrying an injury.

anil1405

International Captain
Isn't that begging the question though. I could say the reason I don't average 99.94 with the bat is because of circumstance. But the truth is that the reason I don't average that is because I'm a **** batsman, not because I would be as good as Bradman but was carrying an injury.
But the truth is that Warne was a **** bowler against India, not because he could've been the best spinner against India but was carrying an injury.

You make good sense when you aren't biased.

harsh.ag

Nah, he was so amazing that even when he should have been crap due to injuries, he wasn't. Except, of course, vs India.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't get the criticism of stephen maintaining this position, which was already well known, when he was basically asked to repeat it in this thread by some of the same people who are now bagging him for doing so.
The scenes when Burgey does not understand bait.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But given this appalling admission on the part of the people who've baited stephen here, I would think a moderator will now step in and ban HB, PFK, sunilz, subshakerz and OS for 18 months, a punishment proportionate not only to their appalling conduct in this thread, but the generally woeful standard of their posting in general. In fact, I've reported all of you for this disgraceful conduct.

Also, stick a fork in Tom Flint for a bit while you're at it, please mods. The Ashes is starting soon and he has those bat**** crazy theories that Steve Smith leaves the ball in an odd way to put bowlers off. It annoys me, and I shouldn't have to put up with it.

anil1405

International Captain
I don't get the criticism of stephen maintaining this position, which was already well known, when he was basically asked to repeat it in this thread by some of the same people who are now bagging him for doing so.
Eh? Poor Sean hasn't made a single comment since Stephen made his first post in this thread.

And I don't see anyone asking Stephen to repeat the reasons either.

Burgey

Not not Sean. he's a good bloke. I mean the usual suspects. Don't worry though, I've reported them and I'm sure the mods will do the right thing and deal with them accordingly.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
18 matches isn't a huge sample size. The majority of them were played after his golden period in ODIs (pre 1998).

In fact, Warne's ODI career can be divided along very similar lines as his test career, with the exception that he didn't play as long. Pre-1998 he averaged 22, taking 130 wickets in 80 matches (1.6 wpm). Post-1998 he took 160 wickets at an average of 28 in 114 matches (1.4 wpm).

But comparing ODIs to tests is like apples to oranges. It also doesn't help your bloke's case either, given the way he was belted by Australians, particularly in important matches.
Even pre 1998, Warne Averaages 36.4 against India. So the flogging is infact historic. The most horrific flogging re received was at Dunedin, on a slow track where Kumble, Ashisk Kapoor and Tendular kept it less than 4.5 while Warne got flogged going for 61 runs. Even Tim May bowled better. The UAE match is well known where Vinod Kambli tore in to Warne. The only match he bowled well before that to India was the WC group match. Even in that series Ranatunga and Gurusinha took Warne to the cleaners in the final.

Burgey

Warne also had 6 ducks in 22 test innings against India. He was probably carrying a niggle somewhere every time he came to bat against us.
He was probably* slogging for a declaration in 70% of those innings tbf.

*I actually don't know and dgaf either.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
He was probably* slogging for a declaration in 70% of those innings tbf.

*I actually don't know and dgaf either.
No way he was slogging for declaration in Kolkata 2001, Chennai 2001 or Chennai 2004:laugh:. In fact made a pair in the Kolkata test.

He also made ducks in Adelaide tests of 1992 and 1999. You are probably right about the 1999 test.

OverratedSanity

Tendulkar bowled India to two historic wins vs Australia with great spells at Kolkata and Adelaide. Warne went for 6 rpo when the rest of the Australian attack had India on the ropes chasing 150. Sachin > Warne as a spinner in border gavaskar series.