• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time best ODI team

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Why does it have to be one or the other? I have to think that you did not often see Bevan bat if you think he is overrated.
Saw him bat heaps. Just find the whole "finisher" thing has become a bit overblown.

Most of the games Bevan finished on the last ball or whatever, Hussey would've finished with 2 overs to spare.

viriya

International Captain
Saw him bat heaps. Just find the whole "finisher" thing has become a bit overblown.

Most of the games Bevan finished on the last ball or whatever, Hussey would've finished with 2 overs to spare.
I agree that Bevan is overrated and but I think he's good enough to be in the Aus XI.. mine would be:

Mark Waugh
Adam Gilchrist+
Ricky Ponting *
Dean Jones
Michael Hussey
Michael Bevan
Shane Watson
Mitchell Johnson
Brett Lee
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath

Watson over Symonds because Bevan can do the slow bowling help.

Spark

Global Moderator

You're confusing finisher with chaser. Hussey was a superb finisher, and not particularly noted as a chaser at all. Clarke, Watson, Ponting all better.

inbox24

International Debutant
I agree that Bevan is overrated and but I think he's good enough to be in the Aus XI.. mine would be:

Mark Waugh
Adam Gilchrist+
Ricky Ponting *
Dean Jones
Michael Hussey
Michael Bevan
Shane Watson
Mitchell Johnson
Brett Lee
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath

Mark Waugh
Adam Gilchrist +
Ricky Ponting *
Dean Jones
Andrew Symonds
Michael Bevan
Michael Hussey
Shane Warne
Brett Lee
Nathan Bracken
Glenn McGrath

12th: Shane Watson

Johnson is too sprayey with the ball to be in mine, Bracken was much more subtle and sly with his varieties and complement the speed and metronome of Lee and McGrath better IMO.
Symonds, Waugh and Bevan to bowl 10 overs between them.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

Mark Waugh
Adam Gilchrist+
Ricky Ponting *
Dean Jones
Michael Hussey
Michael Bevan
Shane Watson
Mitchell Johnson
Brett Lee
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath

I really can't comprehend an Australian all time ODI team without Symonds.

Brutal batsman, better than handy bowling options, and as good a fielders as you'll ever see. Which is why I leave Bevan out.

watson

Banned
01. Adam Gilchrist+
02. Mark Waugh 7
03. Ricky Ponting *
04. Dean Jones
05. Steve Waugh 5
06. Michael Bevan
07. Andrew Symonds 6
08. Shane Warne 4
09. Brett Lee 3
10. Dennis Lillee 1
11. Glenn McGrath 2

An odd thing about the Aussie team is that there is'nt a natural No.4 who is a shoe-in. Chappell, Martyn, and Clarke are each very good, but I'd still rather play Jones out of position at second drop.

Also, there isn't an allrounder of real class like Flintoff/Imran/Kapil Dev/Kallis to chose from who can bat in the top 7 and be a threat as a bowler. The closest I can think of is Steve Waugh, Andrew Symonds and Shane Watson, and they're far from exciting in that role. In the end I picked Waugh as he was an excellent 'death' bowler back in the 90s (awesome slower ball) before his back gave way. So Steve Waugh and Andrew Symonds to bowl the necessary 10 overs, and hopefully not get smashed by the opposing ATG batsman. Mark Waugh to chip in as necessary.

The idea of playing Bracken over Lillee is a little bit silly.

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
Mark Waugh
Adam Gilchrist +
Ricky Ponting *
Dean Jones
Andrew Symonds
Michael Bevan
Michael Hussey
Shane Warne
Brett Lee
Nathan Bracken
Glenn McGrath

12th: Shane Watson

Johnson is too sprayey with the ball to be in mine, Bracken was much more subtle and sly with his varieties and complement the speed and metronome of Lee and McGrath better IMO.
Symonds, Waugh and Bevan to bowl 10 overs between them.
Lee ahead of Warne in the batting order in ODIs.

watson

Banned
Lee ahead of Warne in the batting order in ODIs.
I thought about that too, but looking at ODI scorecards 'back in the day', Warne seemed to bat above Lee. Although if 6s are required in the last couple of overs I'm sure that Lee would be preferenced.

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
I thought about that too, but looking at ODI scorecards 'back in the day', Warne seemed to bat above Lee. Although if 6s are required in the last couple of overs I'm sure that Lee would be preferenced.
I'm just saying Lee is outright better as an ODI batsman than Warne. I don't think it really matters if he came after him when they played together.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian lara
Ricky Ponting
Vivian Richards
A.B. de Villiers
M.S. Dhoni
Lance Kluesner
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist
Sir Viv Richards
Ricky Ponting (C)
AB De Villiers
Andrew Symonds
Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Curtly Ambrose
Muttiah Muralidaran
Glenn McGrath

midge

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist
Sir Viv Richards
Ricky Ponting (C)
AB De Villiers
Andrew Symonds
Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Curtly Ambrose
Muttiah Muralidaran
Glenn McGrath
Great team! The only change I would like to make is Klusener in place of Imran, because of his great ability as a finisher and his all-round capabilities.