• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time best ODI team

BigBrother

U19 12th Man
Mike Hussey was kind of like the Bevan of his era. I think Hussey himself rates Bevan higher, not to say that it actually means anything apart from him being a humble guy. Neither are wrong choices in that spot.

I think it only tells you of the quality and depth of Australia when one of them can actually miss out. Both are greats in the format.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
South Africa

- Graeme Smith
- Hashim Amla
- Jaques Kallis
- Hershelle Gibbs
- AB deVilliers * +
- Jonty Rhodes
- Lance Klusener
- Shaun Pollock
-
-
- Allan Donald

Unsure of the last two spots. Morkel, Ntini or Steyn. A spinner? Boucher or deKock so AB doesn't have to keep?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Mike Hussey was kind of like the Bevan of his era. I think Hussey himself rates Bevan higher, not to say that it actually means anything apart from him being a humble guy. Neither are wrong choices in that spot.

I think it only tells you of the quality and depth of Australia when one of them can actually miss out. Both are greats in the format.
Indeed. Ideally you'd have both. Then there's Symonds, so it's just absolutely ****ing ridiculous when you think about it.

On a personal favourite type of ODI XI, Bevan is the first name down for mine. Always.

watson

Banned
All nations

Australia

- Adam Gilchrist +
- Mark Waugh
- Ricky Ponting *
- Dean Jones
- Shane Watson
- Mike Hussey
- Andrew Symonds
- Shane Warne
- Brett Lee
- Nathan Bracken
- Glenn McGrath

Maxwell might push for Symonds' spot in the future, and I'd imagine in 12 months Starc will overtake Bracken.

England

- Marcus Trescothick *
- Nick Knight
- Ian Bell
- Kevin Pietersen
- Neil Fairbrother
- Paul Collingwood
- Joss Buttler +
- Ian Botham
- Andrew Flintoff
- Graham Swann
- Darren Gough

Open to discussion on this one, no idea how to balance it correctly. England are pretty mediocre at ODI. Collingwood included because I think he plays a role that is needed. Maybe Thorpe over Fairbrother?

West Indies

- Chris Gayle
- Gordon Greenidge
- Viv Richards
- Brian Lara
- Clive Lloyd *
- Carl Hooper
- Jeff Dujon +
- Darren Sammy
- Michael Holding
- Joel Garner
- Curtly Ambrose

Hard to balance again. Maybe Marshall over Sammy (but Sammy is a good bat). Gayle, Viv and Hooper share the 5th bowler duties.
Here's my go for England;

01. Graham Gooch
02. Marcus Trescothick
03. David Gower
04. Kevin Pietersen
05. Allan Lamb
06. Andrew Flintoff
07. Alec Stewart
08. Ian Botham
09. Graeme Swann
10. Darren Gough
11. Bob Willis

Not sure about Gooch, but the top order looks more solid with his name at 01. There are also not too many batsman who can win a game single-handedly by scoring 129 runs off 118 balls in the second innings against Garner, Marshall, Walsh, Patterson, and Hooper. Surely one of the greatest ODI innings of all time considering that Richards had belted 82 off just 39 balls to set England a required run rate of 6.19;

Scorecard - 1985-1986 West Indies v England - 2nd Match - 04/03/1986

Not sure about Gower either, but for about 3 years in the early 80s there were few better ODI batsman. On-the-other-hand Allan Lamb is an absolute must and every bit as good in the middle order as KP.

Also a close run thing between Willis and Anderson, but Willis has the second best ER of all time (3.28) just behind Garner, two successful World Cups, and a near faultless overall record. Just a shame that he didn't get around to playing more matches than he did.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
NZ:

Turner
Astle (Guptill unlucky - could possibly replace one of the openers in the future)
Williamson
Crowe
Taylor
McCullum - wk
Harris (C Cairns, Coney, Oram, Styris all in contention - possibly pick Anderson in a few years)
Hadlee
Vettori
Bond
Chatfield/Mills/Pringle/Allot/ - possibly pick Boult in a few years)

Last edited:

NZTailender

NZ:

Turner
Astle (Guptill unlucky - could possibly replace one of the openers in the future)
Williamson
Crowe
Taylor
McCullum - wk
Harris (C Cairns, Coney, Oram, Styris all in contention - possibly pick Anderson in a few years)
Hadlee
Vettori
Bond
Even averaging 40 and that double tonne, would take Astle over him any day of the week tbh. Will wait until Guptill's career finishes (in a years time? who knows :ph34r:) before I'd change my mind on that.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
India

Sehwag
Dhawan
Ganguly
Kohli
Laxman
Dhoni
Kapil
Zaheer
Kumble
Harbhajan
Srinath

Last edited:

NZTailender

NZ:

Turner
Williamson
Crowe
Taylor
McCullum - wk
Hadlee
Vettori
Bond
1. N Astle
2. M Guptill
3. K Williamson
4. M Crowe
5. R Taylor
6. C Cairns
7. CZ Harris
8. B McCullum+
9. RJ Hadlee
10. D Vettori
11. S Bond

Gob

International Coach
estraya

gilchrist
hayden (mark waugh was cool and all but matty hayden from 07 wc was a **** machine)
ponting
martyn (sorry deano)
symonds
bevan
watson
warne
lee
starc
mcgrath

engurland

knight
trescothick
stewart
pietersen
lamb
collingwood
flintoff
botham
broad
swann
gough

little/medium/big sri lankans

jayasuria
dilshan
sangakkara
de silva
jayawardena
ranathunge
mathews
vaas
malinga
kulasekara
murali

team india

sehwag
tendulkar
ganguly
kohli
yuvraj
dhoni
dev
harbhajan
zaheer
kumble
srinath

pokistan (said from tony grieg voice)

anwar
afridi (18 years old version)
yousef
miandad
inzamam
imran
moin
akram
akthar
waqar
saqlain

nz

fleming
baz
astle
crowe
taylor
cairns
harris
vettori
hadlee
boult
bond

west indies

gayle
greenidge
richards
lara
hooper
lloyd
bravo
marshall
garner
ambrose
holding

**** i need to go out more

Debris

International 12th Man
Why? Hussey did the same job but better.

Bevan was great but he's become very overrated imo.
Why does it have to be one or the other? I have to think that you did not often see Bevan bat if you think he is overrated.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Why? Hussey did the same job but better.

Bevan was great but he's become very overrated imo.
I sort of agree. It's so maybe because he was the first of his kind. If Dhoni and Hussey came earlier, people wouldn't rate Bevan so highly.