• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Restricted Draft

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Well that's the 2 names I were going to pick taken in succession in Barnes and Muralitaharan - I'll go with Sachin Tendulkar

Teuton

International Captain
Ha, is it my fault all the ppl before me didn't think he was the best guy to pick?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
wtf!

Muralitharan and Tendulkar aren't mono-syllables. Are they allowed? I am confused.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Your team must contain no more than 6 single syllable names and no more than 6 multi (3 or more) syllable names.
I thought that's for name, not surnames. Surnames must NOT have more than one syllable. That's how I read the rules. Want LL to clarify before I make my first pick.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought that's for name, not surnames. Surnames must NOT have more than one syllable. That's how I read the rules. Want LL to clarify before I make my first pick.
Sorry if my instructions aren't clear. The syllables refer to the players' last names. You have a maximum of 6 single syllable last names and a maximum of 6 surnames (last names) with 3 or more syllables. Thus you will end up with either 5 and 6 or 6 and 5 of the two categories. The only exclusions are 2 syllable last names.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yes the difference is between 'Mc' and 'Mac' I think. MacGill has 2, and McDermott has 2 too.

Last edited:

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Are we treating Ntini as 2 syllables then? As I'd definetly say McGrath was 2 syllables but the website does say 1 in fairness to Weldone - What is your verdict on this LL?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
So whats the solution now?
Let's wait for LL. If the source is not legit, then we need an alternative legit source or there will be arguments and chaos along the way. Who is the Australian forum member here? Maybe we need an explanation of the difference between 'Mc' and 'Mac'. I can totally understand the difference in syllables if those two are pronounced differently.

ataraxia

International Coach
Can't really find a way that McGrath is one syllable. Mi-grah.

I think I get it actually. The website treats strings of consonants as all part of the same syllable if it's at the start of the word. It renders dfgfhdjagkg as one syllable and dfgfhdjagkgertts as two syllables.

It also doesn't recognise weird words like rhythms, which it says is one syllable due to the hidden i in thm.

Heh -- it also says a scream (aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa) is 12 syllables.

Let's not trust this website as it's automatically generated for most cricketers' names.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The best course of action is to just pick who you think qualifies and letting the others judge. Mac-grah is demonstrably 2 syllables imo.