• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Restricted Draft

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
The number of participants is restricted to 12 (first come basis).

Players whose surnames comprise 2 syllables may NOT be drafted (no Bradman, Hutton and a whole lot more). As some Pakistan players have their ‘surname’ listed first. You must check if they are ineligible under the “no 2 syllables” restriction. There are lists (eg Wikipedia) that have the Pakistani players in alphabetical order.

Your team must contain no more than 6 single syllable names and no more than 6 multi (3 or more) syllable names.

To prevent an overuse of multi-syllable names from, for example, Sri Lanka you are restricted to no more than 2 players from any Test playing nation.

The draft is a “snake” – ie Round one reversed for round two and this is repeated for 3 & 4, 5 & 6 etc.

Time limits: Round one 12 hours, all subsequent rounds 8 hours.

At the completion of the draft participants are requested to list their team together with Test batting or bowling averages (both for all-rounders) so that judging can be done objectively.

I’m new to this draft caper so please seek clarification of any contentious points and feel free to add or suggest ways this can be improved.

Last edited:

Teuton

International Captain
You may need to clarify more on the 'Pakistani' surname. Most, if not all, sources (ie statsguru, howstat) list Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Afghans (+UAE & Oman) by their full name, as well as a handful of Indians such as Harbhajan & Kapil Dev. Is this common listing what you envisage us going by?
I am no expert but i don't believe this implies that their 'first' name is their surname (ie Hanif & Mushtaq Mohammed are brothers but are listed by their first names).

Edit: trundler may be able to enlighten us.....

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
A good point. Upon checking, most alphabetical lists of Pakistani cricketers have both Hanif and Mushtaq Mohammed listed under "M" while Imran Khan is listed under "K". A further check reveals that Imran's father is Ikramullah Khan Niazi and Imran's full name is Imran Ahmed Khan Niazi. I'm not sure where the "Niazi" disappered to, but it would appear that Imran's surname is Khan (1 syllable).
Perhaps we should simply go by the alphabetical listing of players from those countries you mention and accept the last name as a surname. Same rule for everyone so no unfair advantages if that is established before we start drafting.
I have removed that reference to Imran Khan from my initial post.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You may need to clarify more on the 'Pakistani' surname. Most, if not all, sources (ie statsguru, howstat) list Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Afghans (+UAE & Oman) by their full name, as well as a handful of Indians such as Harbhajan & Kapil Dev. Is this common listing what you envisage us going by?
I am no expert but i don't believe this implies that their 'first' name is their surname (ie Hanif & Mushtaq Mohammed are brothers but are listed by their first names).

Edit: trundler may be able to enlighten us.....
Yeah this is right. They're listed by their first name but their surname is still the last part.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would think that is 3 distinct syllables. It is impossible to sound the "N" without making it a separate sound from the "ti".
This isn't strictly true I think. You lose the ability to make sounds not used in your language gradually.

Not really relevent tho.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
As Amitabh Bachchan famously said in an Indian movie "English is a funny language"

Last edited:

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
We'll start when we have 10 (currently 8). Others can join before Round 1 finishes.

If no more added in 24 hours we will start with 8.