• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pasag

RTDAS
Lovett charged with rape.

St Kilda's preseason recruiting turning out to be one of the worst ever. Lost Ball for nothing then picked up a guy for pick 16 who may never play a game for them.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hated Lovett since 2005, so I love it (heh) that his career is going down and down and down.

Kudos Essendon for getting rid of trash.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Woman's life is ruined, so not much joy to take out of this tbf.
To be honest another woman's life was ruined back in 2006 (or was it 2007) and nothing was done about it.

It's more a shame that it has come to this when the writing was on the wall for Lovett.

Essendon tried to trade him twice, they knew something was up with him.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Hated Lovett since 2005, so I love it (heh) that his career is going down and down and down.

Kudos Essendon for getting rid of trash.
They'll be laughing when Jake Carlisle is up and running in 5 years time. They won't remember who Lovett or Scott Gumbleton were.

pasag

RTDAS
Lovett fired. Will be interesting to see what happens if he's found innocent, doubt any club would go near him either way.

Been a pretty poor offseason for AFL.

howardj

International Coach
Lovett fired. Will be interesting to see what happens if he's found innocent, doubt any club would go near him either way.

Been a pretty poor offseason for AFL.
I think they gave him the bullet for being intoxicated at training, and for him not letting them know that he'd been arrested initially.

Of course, the rape charge probably didn't help him any.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
They would have been looking at this for weeks and working out whether they'd be able to do this. Wonder what happens to the grievance hearing now? :ph34r:

howardj

International Coach
Obviously not making a comment on Lovett's guilt or innocence, but it's interesting the approaches taken by AFL clubs compared to NRL clubs.

Anthony LaFrannchi was allowed, by the Gold Coast Titans, to play the whole season after being charged with rape. He was acquitted at year's end.

Brett Stewart was also allowed to play all last season, after being charged with ***ual assault. His committal hearing is currently in progress.

I certainly don't think it's right that you have your livelihood stripped away until you are found guilty, but I do think there is a case for standing the player down on full pay until such serious matters are resolved.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't worry about Gumbleton, he'll show his talent this year.
You must be getting tired of saying that. I can imagine you parroting that in 2009, 2008, 2007, each time with a different haircut.

Re: Lovett, it sounds like it doesn't matter whether or not he gets found guilty at this point as the rumour mill suggests he's been lynched by the St Kilda playing group anyway. He might want to try getting the last drops of blood out of the stone that is his AFL career financially speaking, but it wouldn't be pleasant for him to go back to the playing group and he'd know it.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Lol gumbleton. Almost as big a joke as St Kilda. Look forward to him dominating at about the same time as Sean Rusling.

St Kilda 2010
in: Lovett
out: Ball, pick 20.
Out: lovett, flag chance.

Reckon they deserve to be smacked for sacking him, unless they've got some witnessed breaches of contract. Suspend without pay, pending the court decision (then reinstate with backpay or fire depending on the result).

Riewoldt sledged him onfield about abusing women and in the wash up of NRLs grief last year AND Essendon wanting to give him the flick, they trade a top twenty pick for him 8-)

Last edited:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't see how St. Kilda have no chance at the flag. They were the best team for the majority of last year, and all they've lost is a guy who didn't play for them and a guy who really isn't that good.

Matt79

Global Moderator
You reckon they'll have the golden injury run they had last year? Last year was a freak. Back to relying on Riewoldt to keep you in the 8 Saints.

pasag

RTDAS
Not as much as last year was a freak for Collingwood. Will be surprised if they finished higher than 10th tbh.

Yes, I'm starting early this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.