• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Demons to field a Casey Reserves side in Round 1, with Sylvia and Woniamerri going down today to join Watts, Bell, Jurrah, Morton, Garland, and Meesen.

Bollocks.
Was there, didn't realise who Trengove was until about halfway through. Will be a ****ing gun without a doubt. Saw Sam Blease outside too after the game, seems like a nice enough bloke, would've been happy to pick him up back in 2008. Once he's over his injury problems I reckon he'll be a very good player for the Dees.

howardj

International Coach
My Top Eight

Bulldogs
Collingwood
St Kilda
Geelong
Brisbane
Adelaide
Essendon
EDIT Hawthorn

Last edited:

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
LOL if Caro Wilson wasn't already the worst footy journalist in the country/world, perhaps worst journalist in the world full stop, she's come out with this:

"Cousins returned to Epworth Hospital for further tests after being in acute pain. He remained there last night. Although there is no suggestion Cousins' illness is directly related to alcohol abuse, no one at Richmond could deny that his health issues could be linked to the footballer's long-term drug addiction and occasionally savage lifestyle."

Amazing! No one at the club could deny it, that must make it good enough to print!

Seriously, Caro... fit yourself into a potato sack and jump off the West Gate, *****. Sam Newman was right about you.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
For those who can't be bothered reading all of Caro's garbage:

- Ben Cousins occasionally indulges in alcohol
- Richmond officials can't deny that his illness is related to epic drinking, but appear not to believe it to be the case, or have qualified staff to do so.
- The AFL's football operations manager is satisfied with the results of his blood test last week, and is unaware of a drinking problem.
- Richmond officials supposedly raised the issue of his drinking in the most eventless year of his career where he finished top 5 in his team's best and fairest, after playing 15 games - but have been satisfied with his response to it.

Groundbreaking stuff.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Almost as bad as her joining in with the painting of the AFL as acting poorly in not acting against Fevola without interviewing the aggrieved party.

"Well, going by what we read in Women's Weekly, we have decided to suspend Fevola for three matches. However, after hearing the evidence of Alex Fevola in New Idea, we have reduced the penalty on appeal to one match, with two games suspended."

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I thought she was a bit conspicuous in the whole Fev/Bingle thing over the last few weeks, as much by her relative silence as anything else.

As far as I can see, from an AFL point of view, the last two weeks are a non-entity. A player who has already been ejected from his club for his behaviour, and accepted by his new club who can't be expected to take responsibility for his past transgressions, has had an incident from 4 years ago turn up in the press. The AFL has done all it can be expected to do in asking to speak with Bingle. Purely from an AFL point of view, there's nothing more to it than that. And there's certainly no reason for Caro, let alone anyone else, to get involved in it.

But as usual she's riding on the coattails of anyone she can, and using sneaky turns of phrase to make speculation and rumour sound more credible.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Why do you hate the Sunshine State?
Collingwood
Geelong
Adelaide
Bulldogs
St Kilda
Hawthorn
Port Adelaide
Essendon
Whoops, forgot Brisbane. Put them in at number 5, behind the Dogs but ahead of the Saints. Which will see Port scrape into the 8 with a record low number of wins, just because that's what they'd do as a pack of heinously perverse ****s. Sorry Dons.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah I thought she was a bit conspicuous in the whole Fev/Bingle thing over the last few weeks, as much by her relative silence as anything else.

As far as I can see, from an AFL point of view, the last two weeks are a non-entity. A player who has already been ejected from his club for his behaviour, and accepted by his new club who can't be expected to take responsibility for his past transgressions, has had an incident from 4 years ago turn up in the press. The AFL has done all it can be expected to do in asking to speak with Bingle. Purely from an AFL point of view, there's nothing more to it than that. And there's certainly no reason for Caro, let alone anyone else, to get involved in it.

But as usual she's riding on the coattails of anyone she can, and using sneaky turns of phrase to make speculation and rumour sound more credible.
Moving on from Twigley to Bingle IMO...

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
**** we have the makings of an awesome Spine.

FB Pears CHB Hooker Centre Watson CHF Gumbleton FF Hurley

Any other mob in the comp beat that?

Pity our mids are dead average.

pasag

RTDAS

Pity you won't be getting a priority pick this year, could have done something about that...

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Pity you won't be getting a priority pick this year, could have done something about that...
This just reminded me of something which is massively confusing about the Gold Coast draft concessions. Say a team which was potentially eligible for a pre-first round priority pick (there aren't any other than Melbourne this year, and I'm not sure whether they can get one two years in a row), then the way I understand it they would actually get the first pick of the draft. The concessions, as I've read them, state that the Gold Coast have the first pick of each round - nothing about the first pick of the draft full stop. And because a pre-first round PP is, obviously, before the first round, they would in theory be entitled to the first pick of the draft.

Anyone know if you can get two pre-first round priority picks in a row?

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year

I'm not sold on Hooker - I think he's good but probably doesn't have it in him to be one of the better CHBs in the competition. Gumbleton is still, at this stage, probably no better than a 50/50 shot to make it in the AFL, even accounting for his obvious talent.

Hurley and Pears though... :drool:

Craig

World Traveller
I'm just wondering, why don't AFL clubs take the route of soccer and American sporting clubs/franchises and put the players surname on the back of their jersey with the number? I suppose it doesn't matter for the regular AFL fans in Victoria, WA etc., who know who is who, but for n00bs like me who are trying to get into the sport and learn who is who etc., it would make life a lot easier.

I'm starting to get a bit embrassed having to ask a friend of mine which player is which, I mean he doesn't care too much, but I think one day he will tell me to GAGF. So I'm considering printing off player lists or do something so I know which player is which.

Mind you, considering how upset some no name irrelevant Fitzroy supporters got when Brisbane wanted to change the emblem/colours, it would probably be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.