• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No way. surely no way

edit yeah well. probably the worst kick i've ever seen. good work hamish

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
What do people think about Heath Shaw?

I think you can make a case either way for the appropriateness or otherwise of what he did. To me that's not important.

What is unbelievable is that it's not the first time this has happened. Kieren Jack got nailed for a $5 bet and pretty much since then everyone has known you won't get away with anything no matter the size or type of bet. It's just mind-bogglingly stupid. No matter how often Heath Shaw says he knows his actions were stupid, he clearly doesn't or else he wouldn't have placed the damn thing in the first place. In fact, it would actually almost make more sense to say 'I thought I'd get away with it' because doing the same ****ing thing others have been so ****ing severely punished for previously just makes you look like a ****ing ******. Jesus H.
Deserves the eight weeks for stupidity. The amount of education these guys get as to what they're allowed and not allowed to do is probably more than most workers get in any industry. Add to that the Kieran Jack episode, and you'd think that Shaw would know better.

That said, you can kind of understand how it happens...down at the TAB with mates, probably a couple of liquids under the belt, and thinking "well, it's only a $5 cash bet".

I found the sentence interesting on a number of levels. What would happened if there was only two weeks of the regular season remaining - would they have suspended him for the whole final series? Secondly, what does he have to do to get the six week suspended sentence activated? Surely if he bets again, he'll be drummed out of the game for good. The suspended part of the sentence is just an attempt to make the punishment sound tougher than it is.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Deserves the eight weeks for stupidity. The amount of education these guys get as to what they're allowed and not allowed to do is probably more than most workers get in any industry. Add to that the Kieran Jack episode, and you'd think that Shaw would know better.

That said, you can kind of understand how it happens...down at the TAB with mates, probably a couple of liquids under the belt, and thinking "well, it's only a $5 cash bet".

I found the sentence interesting on a number of levels. What would happened if there was only two weeks of the regular season remaining - would they have suspended him for the whole final series? Secondly, what does he have to do to get the six week suspended sentence activated? Surely if he bets again, he'll be drummed out of the game for good. The suspended part of the sentence is just an attempt to make the punishment sound tougher than it is.
Well I don't really know what the point of punishing the bloke is if you're going to suspend him for the rest of the year and more, then turn around and say "But actually, we'll let you play finals."

It's obviously not going to be easy for him to go into the intensity of finals without any games under his belt but it seems stupid to tailor the punishment to suit.

Either it's a serious offence or it's not. Would missing the finals be too much of a punishment? I don't think so. And it doesn't send the greatest image to other people if you know you're only going to miss H&A games on the off chance you get caught (personally I think it would be quite prevalent and that most people go about this a lot smarter than those who have been caught do).

Anyway, I don't really care that much about it. I think Shaw is a dumbass and the penalty reeks a bit of favouritism but there's nothing new in that from either Shaw or the AFL.