• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
The only good thing that can come from this game now if you're an Adelaide fan is if it's the last straw for Craig. Poor old bloke needs to get the arse.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i was gonna dig up my "neil craig's Adelaide at its finest" post but they forget to blow a 4 goal lead

Redbacks

International Captain
Don't think Mick Malthouse could do much with the current playing squad at the cows. Craig has to prove his ideas can develop a list, he was handed a decent one after Gary Ayres left but now Roo, McLeod, Goodwin and Edwards are long gone the team looks more and more like a competent bunch of B graders without a quality top 6.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Still considering the overs in the Sydney/Dogs game.

Looks like two patches of rain going to hit later on and some reasonably strong wind which is usually all you need to stay away from it altogether, but I don't think it affects the median score as much as the mean.

If I can get 153.5 at one of the joints I actually have money with I think I'll take it for a small interest. I look forward to Benchy telling me he told me so when it loses.

Edit: ftr the formula I use to adjust for wet-weather gives me 161.5 now.

Spikey

Don't think Mick Malthouse could do much with the current playing squad at the cows. Craig has to prove his ideas can develop a list, he was handed a decent one after Gary Ayres left but now Roo, McLeod, Goodwin and Edwards are long gone the team looks more and more like a competent bunch of B graders without a quality top 6.
for me he failed in 05 & 06 and in 09 & 10 he seemed to be going for finals and didn't seem to plan for McLeod, Goodwin and Edwards leaving at all. It's not like Craig's a new coach so he has to take responsibility for the list make-up.

howardj

International Coach
How do you know what players are being paid? A lot of players - especially older ones with injury histories - have incentives in their contracts that reward them for the amount of games they play. Equally, when they miss large chunks of the season they miss out on a large chunk of dough as well.

I don't know the contract situation of either of those players but to suggest that they are highly paid white elephants is rubbish. Especially so when you consider how much they contribute to the team when they are on the field.
It's widely known that Kerr and Brown are on $700 000+.

Saying they are white elephants of late, is not rubbish.

White elephant doesn't mean you're not good when you get out there.

Just that you're not out there enough to justify such an enormous salary.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Did Bastinac play a good game?

Also, seems like Goodes absolutely killed Morris. Was it a wet weather game in the end?

benchmark00

Bastinac was best on, played his best game this year, was really good.

Didn't watch the Sydney game, but it hasn't rained here today so although it might have been damp under the surface it was a largely dry day.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Did Bastinac play a good game?

Also, seems like Goodes absolutely killed Morris. Was it a wet weather game in the end?
Only rained a bit in the first quarter. It was a tactical mistake to expect Morris to tail Goodes around the ground. He's fine on guys like Riewoldt when they go up the ground because they aren't quite as damaging, but Goodes carves everywhere. That being said, Morris started as a defensive midfielder so probably not a great game by his standards.

Redbacks

International Captain
for me he failed in 05 & 06 and in 09 & 10 he seemed to be going for finals and didn't seem to plan for McLeod, Goodwin and Edwards leaving at all. It's not like Craig's a new coach so he has to take responsibility for the list make-up.
It's interesting because Gerald Healy has been really talking up the crows recruitment over the past 2-3 years and went as far as to say that they were setting up better than anyone for the current dead draft period. They did go out and recruit a lot of talls which has probably been an issue. Tippet, Walker, McKernan and getting Jacobs in, but never really covering speed in the midfield. Dangerzone has shown leadership skills but McKay? Vince? Martin? Douglass? Knights? Tambling? have all struggled to step up consistently, as at times they have all shown themselves to be quality players.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
It's widely known that Kerr and Brown are on $700 000+.

Saying they are white elephants of late, is not rubbish.

White elephant doesn't mean you're not good when you get out there.

Just that you're not out there enough to justify such an enormous salary.
I'm glad that sort of reductionism works in your own head.

There's a good argument to say that Jonathan Brown is worth $700k before he plays a game, not only for his leadership around the club but the face he puts on it in a state that until this year has only had one team.

Sydney offered Kerr a five-year deal in 2008 that West Coast had to match to keep him around. Jonathan Brown has fielded numerous offers to return to Melbourne as well. When there's a bidding war on, you might call them overpaid but I call it market price.

You still haven't addressed the fact that the public generally do not know the terms of players' contracts and whether there are clauses in them for the amount of games they need to play - I'd say that's a key piece of info before you call someone an overpaid white elephant.

Also, why do you care so much what they get paid?