• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

9th Match - Bangladesh v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
Is it just me, or has Williamson lost tempo with his 50 over game? I honestly thought he would be averaging 50 by now as he was averaging 47 at the last world cup, whereas Taylor's average has ballooned from 41 at the last World Cup to 48.5.

I can't remember the last time he was actually 'got out' in ODI's, yet his average and strike rate have dropped since the last World Cup.

Nz lose that game if Taylor gets strangled down the leg side a few overs earlier than he did.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Is it just me, or has Williamson lost tempo with his 50 over game? I honestly thought he would be averaging 50 by now as he was averaging 47 at the last world cup, whereas Taylor's average has ballooned from 41 at the last World Cup to 48.5.

I can't remember the last time he was actually 'got out' in ODI's, yet his average and strike rate have dropped since the last World Cup.

Nz lose that game if Taylor gets strangled down the leg side a few overs earlier than he did.
Nope, KW's record since 2015 holds up:
Span Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100 Wkts BBI Bowl Av 5 Ct St Ave Diff
2015-2019 67 2908 118 46.90 5 11 3/22 37.54 0 26 0 9.35

Since the Champions Trophy 2 years ago, he's definitely not been at his best. Stats still respectable though:
2017-2019 27 989 115 41.20 2 2 2/32 35.50 0 10 0 5.70

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've heard a few people today suggesting Bangers would have won if they scored another 20 runs. I'd say on another day NZ wouldn't have handed them so many of their wickets on a plate, and should have been able to chase 280-290 in those conditions against that bowling.

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
Nope, KW's record since 2015 holds up:
Span Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100 Wkts BBI Bowl Av 5 Ct St Ave Diff
2015-2019 67 2908 118 46.90 5 11 3/22 37.54 0 26 0 9.35

Since the Champions Trophy 2 years ago, he's definitely not been at his best. Stats still respectable though:
2017-2019 27 989 115 41.20 2 2 2/32 35.50 0 10 0 5.70
Idk, maybe it's just a visual thing. Some of his dismissals lately seem to imply a certain level of frustration though. This game reminded me of the Champions Trophy in 2017 where unless Williamson or Taylor were still at the crease by the 40th over, the lower order would roll over.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Jimmy neesham with his usual flashy 20 in situations where we need him to score a 50 or more. Also, his bowling is more trash than ever. And it will only get worse because every team will look to target him. His trash has been identidied by everyone now. CDG is the definition of bits and pieces...its his spot I would give to Sodhi. Hopefully with Sodhi we roll sides under 300 because there's no way this batting line is chasing something above 300.

Athlai

Not Terrible
How come I’ve seen a bunch of people bag Neesham scoring 20 odd and no one is saying a damn thing about Latham or CDG?

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
CdG is better with the ball and ultimately offers about the same with the bat.

Latham shouldn't even be in this conversation, so lord knows what your issue is with him.

It's not about yesterday's soft dismissals - or you can add Munro, Williamson and Taylor to the list - it's about the balance of the side.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Only caught the highlights of this and while the latter part of the chase was bad, not getting too worked up. Our bowling looked very good with all of Boult, Santner, Ferguson and Henry impressive.

Would certainly like cooler heads with the bat - these days we get a lot of good starts and it should have been a doddle from the position 30 overs in. The ability to handle pressure is questionable as are our personnel at 6 and 7, but we knew that. Unlike most NZ sides, this one is better suited to batting first rather than chasing imo. Neesham is our best number 6 option (ignore bowling) and I think he feels the pressure, hope he can find the state of mind where he enjoyed his cricket and had success last season.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Neesham didn't fail against Bangladesh. He contributed, and without that contribution we might have lost. Neesham is also averaging 57.25 for NZ in 2019 with a SR of 157.

His lowest score for the year is either a 12* or that 25. It's literally insane that people are calling for him to be dropped when we have Latham/CDG/Munro all performing so poorly with the bat in the top 7. You can make an argument that Nicholls is the better batsman than Neesham, but Neesham is the only GOOD icing we have right now and the only bloke that looks like they can come in during the last 15 odd overs and win us a game from there.

His bowling is also manageable, keeping in mind he's purely there as a part timer.

For 2019 he's averaging just under 5 overs per game. 11W @ 24.90 economy 5.76. It's not great, he WILL go at 6s and 7s most World Cup games, and may even go for the odd 10+ but it's not going to cost us a whole lot more than any of other magic shufflings of the squad. We don't have some perfect allrounder sitting on the bench. And if we have a CDG thats there more as a bowling allrounder (2019 7W @ 33.71 economy 4.81 and a little over 6 overs per game. Then we have ourselves another way of minimising the impact of Neesham with the ball.

Flem274*

123/5
they all batted like idiots except for taylor. i've never seen so many wild swings straight to fielders in my life.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Recalling the game between these two sides in the 2015 group stages, it was the exact same scenario; Shakib comes on in the powerplay, McCullum and KW try to take him on from ball one, and perish. In Munro's case, probably better off playing that way but sometimes you just have show an opponent more respect.
Part of being bold and brave is also knowing your limitations. None of our guys bar Ross and Kane play spin well.

Let's see how they go v Afghanistan on potentially a turning one. I wouldn't recommend trying to hit Rashid off his line.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain

Latham shouldn't even be in this conversation, so lord knows what your issue is with him.

It's not about yesterday's soft dismissals - or you can add Munro, Williamson and Taylor to the list - it's about the balance of the side.
Thought CDG’s shot was a solid option, just execution let him down. Usually it’s a pretty safe shot, you’re more likely to get too much on it and lob it 3/4s of the way to the boundary than get a tiny edge.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Part of being bold and brave is also knowing your limitations. None of our guys bar Ross and Kane play spin well.

Let's see how they go v Afghanistan on potentially a turning one. I wouldn't recommend trying to hit Rashid off his line.
Latham?

Howsie

International Captain

de Grandhomme has one score of 50 in thirty ODI's. He's not in the same ball park as Neesham.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
de Grandhomme has one score of 50 in thirty ODI's. He's not in the same ball park as Neesham.
Yeah, you're obviously right, so is the other guy above. I just had no faith at all in Neesham (or CdG) to see us home the other night. If either of those players could be trusted in some degree of crisis, I'd be all for them. But I know De Grandhomme can't be relied upon, and I'm thinking neither can Neesham. So I'm gunning for Nicholls instead.