• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

9th Match - Bangladesh v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mehidy would be thanking his lucky stars for those 2 wickets. Some really dumb batting from NZ.

vandem

International 12th Man
Sounds like I missed an exciting second innings :(
Was interesting after Mehidy's double wicket over, and exciting after de Grandhomme and Neesham fell in successive overs.

Ban missed a trick by not attacking as soon as de Grandhomme was dismissed. Saifuddin had gone past Santner's edge 1st ball, then had a very close lbw shout in the next over, but field stayed defensive - and then Santner edged through a vacant slip. Coney made a good point on the radio, was no point having a long on when NZ needed 4 rpo, they could push singles and win, so Ban needed to take 3 wickets and so better to have a slip.

Edit - corrected the dumb error. Was still thinking about the previous night's game.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Was interesting after Mehidy's double wicket over, and exciting after de Grandhomme and Neesham fell in successive overs.

SL missed a trick by not attacking as soon as de Grandhomme was dismissed. Saifuddin had gone past Santner's edge 1st ball, then had a very close lbw shout in the next over, but field stayed defensive - and then Santner edged through a vacant slip. Coney made a good point on the radio, was no point having a long on when NZ needed 4 rpo, they could push singles and win, so SL needed to take 3 wickets and so better to have a slip.
Bangladesh*

Moss

International Vice-Captain
New Zealand's spin tactics should be a warning | ESPNcricinfo.com

Some valid points in this assessment, especially "Guptill and Munro seemingly didn't trust themselves to just milk the bowling". Trying to to smash noted nemsis Shakib from ball one was pretty daft from Guptill, he's usually far better with his shot selection than Munro or CdG. Unless there's a very quick mindset change opposition spinners could walk all over NZ.

Don't want to be too critical after a good start to the campaign and an excellent bowling effort, but really with that missed run out and the almost-choke, could have been a different story.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Mortaza bowling badly is one of the worst things that could happen to Bangladesh. He's ther clutch. Their spinners can be as economical as they like if sides can just stomp them at the business end.

Moss

SL missed a trick by not attacking as soon as de Grandhomme was dismissed. Saifuddin had gone past Santner's edge 1st ball, then had a very close lbw shout in the next over, but field stayed defensive - and then Santner edged through a vacant slip. Coney made a good point on the radio, was no point having a long on when NZ needed 4 rpo, they could push singles and win, so SL needed to take 3 wickets and so better to have a slip.
Also the missed runout of KW. Mushfiqur's ****-up came in the middle of a tense passage of play when Shakib's mere arrival at the bowling crease seemed to trigger panic among the NZ batsmen.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mortaza bowling badly is one of the worst things that could happen to Bangladesh. He's ther clutch. Their spinners can be as economical as they like if sides can just stomp them at the business end.
Yeah he's picked a pretty awful time to decide he's finished as a cricketer. I was actually more worried about Fizz this tournament but he's definitely back to first-season-Fizz quality at the moment. It's to the point where picking Jayed to bowl seven or eight straight up front might be a better option, and that's rather unfortunate. Not only because it's not a good way to organise a bowling attack in 2019 but also because Mashrafe is captain so it won't happen anyway.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah he's picked a pretty awful time to decide he's finished as a cricketer. I was actually more worried about Fizz this tournament but he's definitely back to first-season-Fizz quality at the moment. It's to the point where picking Jayed to bowl seven or eight straight up front might be a better option, and that's rather unfortunate. Not only because it's not a good way to organise a bowling attack in 2019 but also because Mashrafe is captain so it won't happen anyway.
I haven't been watching him that closely, but seems to me Fizz lost his effectively a couple of years ago when he was no longer getting his quicker one through at 140+.

In the last 2 years his faster balls seem to have been more around the mid-130s, which has meant his slower ball is less potent, and batsmen can set themselves for the slower ball as the default, but still have time to adjust if it's the quicker one. I could be totally wrong on this theory, and perhaps his faster ball is still as quick as it was, back around 2016/17 when he had that legendary season in the IPL.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I haven't been watching him that closely, but seems to me Fizz lost his effectively a couple of years ago when he was no longer getting his quicker one through at 140+.

In the last 2 years his faster balls seem to have been more around the mid-130s, which has meant his slower ball is less potent, and batsmen can set themselves for the slower ball as the default, but still have time to adjust if it's the quicker one. I could be totally wrong on this theory, and perhaps his faster ball is still as quick as it was, back around 2016/17 when he had that legendary season in the IPL.
Yeah this is more or less true (combined with coaches having a look at some tapes to develop strategies to combat that awesome slower one) but he's returned to something much closer to old Fizz in this tournament, hitting high 130s/low 140s on occasion. Back after he had those repeated injuries he was bowling low 130s at full heat and it just made his slower ball too close to that speed. He's been much more effective than I was anticipating; I actually thought it might be he who ended up dropped for Rubel or Jayed but I think he'll be fine now.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Surely if Banglasdesh change their attack it'll be for Saifuddin who appears at first impression to be your traditional Bangladesh nondescript seamer without the boost of being captain

Moss

Surely if Banglasdesh change their attack it'll be for Saifuddin who appears at first impression to be your traditional Bangladesh nondescript seamer without the boost of being captain
This could well happen, but he may have been a handful if he had been given the new ball yesterday and was pretty decent everytime he pitched it up. Also he almost had Henry and Ferguson in successive balls when Fizz wasn't able to do much at the business end.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think they consider him part of the batting lineup as well though. Rhodes seemed very concerned in his comments in the lead up to the tournament about their ability to hit out late and mentioned him a couple of times as someone who he was hoping to help out there, so I think he'd loathe to drop him. Plus he's legitimately bowled better than Mashrafe so far. He's actually traditionally been a bit of a lower order stodge domestically to the point where I'd think maybe even Mashrafe himself would be better at late over slogging, but he did strike them clean against NZ so maybe he's developed his game in a way we haven't really seen yet.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Just looked at the scorecard. Why didn't they bowl out Fiz? Yeah, he seems to have got some beating but surely you use him to pick wickets especially towards the end.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
New Zealand's spin tactics should be a warning | ESPNcricinfo.com

Some valid points in this assessment, especially "Guptill and Munro seemingly didn't trust themselves to just milk the bowling". Trying to to smash noted nemsis Shakib from ball one was pretty daft from Guptill, he's usually far better with his shot selection than Munro or CdG. Unless there's a very quick mindset change opposition spinners could walk all over NZ.

Don't want to be too critical after a good start to the campaign and an excellent bowling effort, but really with that missed run out and the almost-choke, could have been a different story.
Yeah, I posted before I didn't have a clue why he tried to smash Shakib first ball. Then next ball Munro did the same thing, and got the right ball to hit for six. It was obviously a ploy. Bold, if you see it that way...or potentially brainless.

Moss

Yeah, I posted before I didn't have a clue why he tried to smash Shakib first ball. Then next ball Munro did the same thing, and got the right ball to hit for six. It was obviously a ploy. Bold, if you see it that way...or potentially brainless.
Recalling the game between these two sides in the 2015 group stages, it was the exact same scenario; Shakib comes on in the powerplay, McCullum and KW try to take him on from ball one, and perish. In Munro's case, probably better off playing that way but sometimes you just have show an opponent more respect.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Some of the dismissals. I get that the tactic might be to try and hit Shakib off his stride, but to do it first ball of the spell? When he's their biggest threat? Kane's dismissal was unlike him, very inconsidered. Neesham's was timid. The sort of dismissals that suggested pressure got to us.
Kane plays that chip shot in his sleep, and it's normally low risk for him. He just got it wrong this . The Guptill, Munro, CdG and Neesham dismissals were woeful, though.