• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5th Test at Hobart - 14-19 Jan 2022

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
As soon as a team goes through a **** phase everyone demands systematic changes and they get them. The team eventually comes good and people put it down to the changes rather than just realising life has its ups and downs. I think England will come good again, regardless of what they do, and Australia are due for another **** phase.
Agree players come and go and team wanes around that. But poor selection policy will extend down periods and also shorten good domination. Its not easy but being proactive while not consistently throwing away players helps keep the team strong.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Green is the cricketer managment wished marsh was. Don't think heyll average 45/25, he's a nervy af batsmen early and teams are well equipped to exploit that, think heyll end up roughly where his stats are now, maybe closer to 35/28, which is still phenomenal.
I reckon he'll get into a series a lot quicker with the bat than he did this one. It's hard to see him bowling better, but I reckon he can have a bigger impact with the bat as he matures.

Spark

Global Moderator
I reckon he'll get into a series a lot quicker with the bat than he did this one. It's hard to see him bowling better, but I reckon he can have a bigger impact with the bat as he matures.
Presumably he won't start every series with a completely messed up technique and having to spend half a series fixing it before he gets into gear.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Agree players come and go and team wanes around that. But poor selection policy will extend down periods and also shorten good domination. Its not easy but being proactive while not consistently throwing away players helps keep the team strong.
I'm not disagreeing. Some players need to be persisted with, even if they seem ****. Remember Waugh? He was ****ing **** for ages to start with. I agree bad selection policy hurts - I was just pointing out that it's not all about changing the system. Probably more than anything, it is about preparation. England had none. In the best recent performance in India, Australia put in a lot of preparation. I expect them to go there this time with none and get royally ****ed.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Jesus ****.

I mean, have we even hit rock bottom yet? Is there further we can fall?
The increasingly imminent retirements of Broad and Anderson will probably answer that question. Wood won't be around for too many years either. So before long we'll have a one man attack alongside the one man batting line-up.

Pothas

The increasingly imminent retirements of Broad and Anderson will probably answer that question. Wood won't be around for too many years either. So before long we'll have a one man attack alongside the one man batting line-up.
If England can do one thing it is produce bowlers who are decent at home so they might be ok on that side of things.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah for all the doom and gloom, they were still probably one more competent session of cricket away from winning the series against India. They'll win enough games at home.

Flem274*

123/5
tried to go to bed when crawley or malan got out thinking stumps was close and the game would meander to it.

my bad.

gg aus. can't believe green had doubters. bloke is the most talented young player in the world.

Starfighter

The overall batting average in that series was 25.20. This was the lowest in any Ashes series since 1981 (24.33) and in Australia since 78/79 (one weak and one extremely weak batting side combined for an average of 20.68, the lowest since 1912 in England and 1887/88 (!) in Australia). In comparison 2017/18 saw an average of 36.89.

England's average of 19.18 was their worst since 1890 overall and 1887/88 in Australia. In comparison you only have to go back to 98/99 to find a lower average from a winning Australian side in Australia (31.64 compared to 33.36). So yeah, England really were that bad.

N.B. these are based on the batting stats in Statsguru and do not include extras, of which the 102 when England batted outscored Burns, Hameed and Pope.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The makeup of the first choice attack suddenly becomes very interesting. You surely can't leave out Boland on any surface when he bowls with such relentless accuracy.
Can rotate the big 3 and keep them fresher. At times in this series Starc and Cummins looked done in not that it mattered but against a better side it may hurt them. The biggest compliment you can give Boland is that Hazlewood being injured wasn't even noticed. Be fascinating to see Boland overseas to see if he can do the same.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow. What a series that was. Bitterly disappointing for an England fan. And surely disappointing for a neutral too, not because they'd want England to win, but because they are entitled to expect a decent contest, and we just haven't mustered that for any sustained period at all. We have been appalling, and Australia - bowlers especially - have been excellent. Well played.