• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5th Test at Hobart - 14-19 Jan 2022

Raz0r6ack

U19 12th Man
Green looked pretty comfortable on a pretty dicey wicket as a batsmen. Bowler friendly series and he averaged 33 as a 22 year old.

If he plays on more flat wickets he could average close to 50. Bowling would probably be closer to 30 then 25 though.

Shane Watson was averaging like 42 and 28 IIRC before he fell off a cliff.

If anyone is ever going to average 45 and 25 it's probably going to be some 6ft6 super athlete.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
No point analysing how rubbish England were, given it's all been done here, in media etc.

What I'm very intrigued about is where they go to from here in terms of the ECB's plan to address the batting woes. Are they suitably embarrassed enough to reform what they're doing, bring in the right people (who probably won't be English) etc, or are World Cups and T20s and Hundreds and people getting pissed in banana suits more of what they'll carry on in the direction of?

ImpatientLime

International Regular
or are World Cups and T20s and Hundreds and people getting pissed in banana suits more of what they'll carry on in the direction of?
I don't get why when people talk about England it has to be one or the other? other teams balance being good at both.

there is still such an innate snobbery in the UK towards any white ball cricket. you see it in social media Comms. "hit and giggle", people happy to marginalise white ball cricket if they had their way. the same types who think playing county champ games in july and august will magically fix all the test sides batting issues.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't get why when people talk about England it has to be one or the other? other teams balance being good at both.

there is still such an innate snobbery in the UK towards any white ball cricket. you see it in social media Comms. "hit and giggle", people happy to marginalise white ball cricket if they had their way. the same types who think playing county champ games in july and august will magically fix all the test sides batting issues.
No, you're absolutely right. I don't get it either. I'm not saying it has to be one or the other, just that they've dive-bombed the Hundred right into July/August as you say which made a strong indication of where they were at priority-wise. And fair play, it resulted in a World Cup *victory* at home and whatever else came of the shorter form in terms of marketing to audiences.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Clearly England haven't found a satisfactory balance. Bookending the longer game into either end of a normal season and prioritising white ball games during the best conditions is crazy.

On another topic, I though Green could have been made MOTM in the final Test. Surely 97 runs and 4 wickets trumps 109 runs.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tried to go to bed when crawley or malan got out thinking stumps was close and the game would meander to it.

my bad.

gg aus. can't believe green had doubters. bloke is the most talented young player in the world.
I still think he's a poor man's Hilton Cartwright.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
not so sure...didn't cummins assure harris that he was still in their "long term plans" or something to that effect? also khawaja failed as an opener in hobart and warner finished the series on a very shaky note as well...