• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th thread - who's going to win?

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone know Rashid's stats in the CC this season?

And/or last season, come to that?
11 wickets @ 22. Has only played the two games though.

46 wickets @ 26 last season. So probably the form spinner in England, though I can see his selection ending in tears.

flibbertyjibber

11 wickets @ 22. Has only played the two games though.

46 wickets @ 26 last season. So probably the form spinner in England, though I can see his selection ending in tears.
If they were seriously considering him for the ashes he should have had at least one test in WI.

He can stay at Yorkshire and help us to another title instead.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
If they were seriously considering him for the ashes he should have had at least one test in WI.

He can stay at Yorkshire and help us to another title instead.
Although that may change post-Moores.

The other thing is that if he's part of a five-man attack, we have alternatives if he's having an off-spell, which wouldn't be the case if we only had four bowlers in the side.

All that being said, I don't really know if he's a better bet than Moeen. I just question the assumption that he's hopeless based on what he was doing a couple of seasons ago and one warmup in the Caribbean. Especially when Moeen's form has been so dire lately.

Shady Slim

International Coach
bold prediction though i'm going to make it anyway, moeen is either going to be pumped sulieman benn style or get a bunch of wickets when players such as warner try to pump him

this ashes is going to be won or lost by the spinners

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think Australia will win but I think England will be value with the bookies. Australia may be too heavily favoured.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There's an irrational sense of optimism amongst a lot of England followers. We have no Test class spinner, no Test class Keeper, a new ball pair who currently both look likely to crack under pressure, unproven and inadequate 3rd and 4th seamer, a number 6 who'll come off twice a summer if we're lucky, unproven and iffy looking opener, a middle order where two of the three are misfiring. Happy holidays.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
There's an irrational sense of optimism amongst a lot of England followers. We have no Test class spinner, no Test class Keeper, a new ball pair who currently both look likely to crack under pressure, unproven and inadequate 3rd and 4th seamer, a number 6 who'll come off twice a summer if we're lucky, unproven and iffy looking opener, a middle order where two of the tree are misfiring. Happy holidays.
Now here's someone I can agree with . :D

You could add that our best batsman has been nobbled by being awarded England's Player of the Year. Kiss of death if recent winners are anything to go by.

I wonder what the bookies are offering for Aus to win 5-0. Has to be worth a tenner if the weather holds.

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
There's an irrational sense of optimism amongst a lot of England followers.
Well although its not a World Cup year, we've still got to celebrate the British summer tradition of overestimating the talent of a bunch of mediocre sportsmen

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To be honest I am probably a lot more optimistic than I probably should be but I really like this England team, just a lot of players that I like in it. The fact that so many people are desperate to moan at them at any given opportunity just makes that stronger.

Burgey

You've got to factor in the pretty ordinary records of a lot of the Aussie team in England, and the others who are unproven there.

Johnson has a lot to prove this series, Haze should be great but I thought Bird and Patto would be last tour as well. The batting is still really fragile IMO.

I think Australia will win, but largely because England has a lot of blokes who seem a bit shot ATM, rather than this being a very good or great Aussie line up.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
To be honest I am probably a lot more optimistic than I probably should be but I really like this England team, just a lot of players that I like in it. The fact that so many people are desperate to moan at them at any given opportunity just makes that stronger.
I don't think many people are desperate to moan at them. I don't blame them as individuals for not being good enough to play Test Cricket. It's not as if (KP aside) there are a string of better quality players who are not being selected.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't think many people are desperate to moan at them. I don't blame them as individuals for not being good enough to play Test Cricket. It's not as if (KP aside) there are a string of better quality players who are not being selected.
What do you think is the cause of the lack of talent coming through, as you see it?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
What do you think is the cause of the lack of talent coming through, as you see it?
Absolutely no idea. In my time of watching County Cricket has never produced anything other than the occasional strong XI. The 2005 side was a strong side but it was fleeting and there wasn't another group of unlucky players being left out. It just seems at the moment there's an extraordinary lack of quality. To have an XI where half of them are unproven is quite worrying - especially so when some of the established players are in poor form.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A lot of them are unproven because we just had a whole lot of good players retire in the last few years and quite a few of the new players have done pretty well. The real problem for England over the last couple of years has been that so many of the previous generation, which had been genuinely good for a while, have played really badly.

Of course you are right, England just generally are not a great side, has been like that basically forever.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
A lot of them are unproven because we just had a whole lot of good players retire in the last few years and quite a few of the new players have done pretty well. The real problem for England over the last couple of years has been that so many of the previous generation, which had been genuinely good for a while, have played really badly.
And I'd like to think that's been my main gripe in recent times. It wouldn't be hard to find posts where I've moaned about Bell, or suggested that Broad and Anderson aren't all they're cracked up to be, but I think you'd struggle to find posts where I've complained about the newbies. Possibly Moeen's form this summer, and whether he should be in the side, but that's about it. If people struggle with someone's objective view being 4 or 5 tests to Aus this summer, then that's their problem. Saves me some of the disappointment if that's what happens, and I end up being all the happier if they prove me wrong.