• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

Aritro

International Regular
Is having 14 men on the onside and bowling straight really all you have to do to get wickers?

Maybe not the worst idea.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's trying to hit the crack Cummins hit earlier in the day.

So far no good; he's either not accurate enough or the crack isn't making the ball misbehave as he thought it would. Should go back over the wicket and just bowl normally IMO.
He's got it once or twice. You could see it was playing on Gill's mind when he first came on. Given there's nothing for him to aim at on the other side of the pitch, he's not losing anything by going around.

Spark

Global Moderator
Is he salty about Pujara?
Nah he's annoyed about Starc going off the field because of the footholes when bowling around the wicket.

Must admit, I don't understand why he did that either.

EDIT: Also he's going off about no bat-pad to Pujara. Which, again... I don't really understand why there isn't one either.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I do seem to remember Clarke trying to push Lyon to get it outside off more by setting fields that would encourage him to do so. I think the straighter line Lyon used to take gave him the ****s. Paine may just have set the field poorly, but he may also not have wanted Lyon to be pushing it down leg.

On a fifth day wicket where there's a hint of turn, spending a bit of time tossing it up outside off isn't the worst idea. Lyon seems to take more encouragement to do so than most.
Paine either needs to get him to toss the ball up more or set the field for what he's bowling now. It's the half-arse strategy that frustrates.

Spark

Global Moderator
Paine either needs to get him to toss the ball up more or set the field for what he's bowling now. It's the half-arse strategy that frustrates.
It feels like a "default" field with no particular strategy or specific tactic to specific batsmen in mind. It's not an accident there have been so many balls at catchable height just wide or over fielders in this series, the field isn't being set with a great deal of precision IMO.