• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Paine has to be one of the biggest ball-chasing captains I've ever seen. Never seems ahead of the game field-wise.
Guessing you're referring to the lack of a leg slip and then him moving it in after a ball goes there. They've been hitting it there all series.

Spark

Global Moderator
Guessing you're referring to the lack of a leg slip and then him moving it in after a ball goes there. They've been hitting it there all series.
Yep. I don't, like, hate the lack of leg slip but ffs, if you're going to have one, have one before he hits it there. I wonder how much of Lyon's ineffectiveness is down to the cookie-cutter mindlessness of the plans he's had to work with.

Starfighter

Yep. I don't, like, hate the lack of leg slip but ffs, if you're going to have one, have one before he hits it there. I wonder how much of Lyon's ineffectiveness is down to the cookie-cutter mindlessness of the plans he's had to work with.
If Lyon's gonna bowl a straight line, as he has been doing, may as well set the field for it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Paine has to be one of the biggest ball-chasing captains I've ever seen. Never seems ahead of the game field-wise.
Perhaps interesting that Lyon under Smith averaged three less than he does under Paine but had a higher economy rate.

gabbadan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Forecast for the rest of Tuesday
Summary
Max 32Shower or two. Possible storm.Chance of any rain: 50%
Brisbane area
Cloudy. Medium (60%) chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm, possibly severe. Light winds becoming southeasterly 15 to 20 km/h in the late evening.

Coming down from 70% to 50%.
Nothing on radar 1100hrs local

Son Of Coco

If Lyon's gonna bowl a straight line, as he has been doing, may as well set the field for it.
I do seem to remember Clarke trying to push Lyon to get it outside off more by setting fields that would encourage him to do so. I think the straighter line Lyon used to take gave him the ****s. Paine may just have set the field poorly, but he may also not have wanted Lyon to be pushing it down leg.

On a fifth day wicket where there's a hint of turn, spending a bit of time tossing it up outside off isn't the worst idea. Lyon seems to take more encouragement to do so than most.