• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Match - New Zealand v Sri Lanka

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Two fairly ordinary sides. NZ favourites, but wouldn't put it past SL upsetting us.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Latham apparently fit, so I guess the XI will be: Guptill, Nicholls, KW, Ross, Latham, Neesham, CdG, Santner, Henry, Fergz, Boult

NZ to win comfortably.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Two fairly ordinary sides. NZ favourites, but wouldn't put it past SL upsetting us.
NZ are middling, but so are plenty of other teams and SL are actually bad, as we saw at home recently (barring Thisara Perera's batting). We should definitely flounce if we fail to beat them.

Last edited:

veganbob

U19 Captain
Two fairly ordinary sides..
Nonsense. Current sl team is ordinary.
If you put the current NZ odi team as ordinary then you would pretty much say bar 2015 all our squads in wc have been very ordinary.

Its the 2nd best squad we have ever sent to the world cup (2015 best easily).
Saying 92 or 99 squads was better would be laughable.

Zinzan

Its the 2nd best squad we have ever sent to the world cup (2015 best easily).
Saying 92 or 99 squads was better would be laughable.
This is nonsense, we only have 2 decent bowlers in Boult and Santner. Henry and Southee have both deteriorated horribly since 2015.

We do have a strong numbets 1, 3, 4 and 5 with the bat, but little else.

I’m terms of bowling 2015 was much stronger with Southee and Henry being much better ODI bowlers then and the like if Mills in the squad.

Furthermore I’d say our bowling attacks (relative to the conditions at the time and the way ODIs were played) were much better in ‘92, ‘99, ‘03, ‘07, ‘11 and ‘15.

I did say NZ were favourites for this game vs SL. but It’s our bowling attack that causes me to label us as ordinary. Example: in that game last night I’d say England would have scored 350 minimum against our attack in those conditions.

I wish I shared your optimism.

Zinzan

Latham apparently fit, so I guess the XI will be: Guptill, Nicholls, KW, Ross, Latham, Neesham, CdG, Santner, Henry, Fergz, Boult

NZ to win comfortably.
Mate, I’m no fan of Southee as you well know, but what the heck would be the rationale for Henry starting after that abomination against the Windies? (Assuming Southee is fit)

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Mate, I’m no fan of Southee as you well know, but what the heck would be the rationale for Henry starting after that abomination against the Windies? (Assuming Southee is fit)
Better new ball bowler if it's not swinging.

thundaboult

International Debutant
NZ bowlers will likely get a bit of stick but otherwise, this one should be won comfortably by them. SL looks to be the most out of sorts, out of form team in this world cup. Would ideally like to see a massive win for New Zealand to really cement that gap in class.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain

NZ to win comfortably.
Munro has a bruised foot apparently so won't be playing

veganbob

U19 Captain
This is nonsense, we only have 2 decent bowlers in Boult and Santner. Henry and Southee have both deteriorated horribly since 2015.

We do have a strong numbets 1, 3, 4 and 5 with the bat, but little else.

I’m terms of bowling 2015 was much stronger with Southee and Henry being much better ODI bowlers then and the like if Mills in the squad.

Furthermore I’d say our bowling attacks (relative to the conditions at the time and the way ODIs were played) were much better in ‘92, ‘99, ‘03, ‘07, ‘11 and ‘15.

I did say NZ were favourites for this game vs SL. but It’s our bowling attack that causes me to label us as ordinary. Example: in that game last night I’d say England would have scored 350 minimum against our attack in those conditions.

I wish I shared your optimism.

2015 was our best world cup squad ever. I think you are looking with nostalgia at the other years.

Crowe was our only world class odi batsman in 92- we have 3 at the moment in Guptill, kane and Ross.
No 5 is also good vy nz standards.

In 92 we didn't have a great bowling attack at all (but i agree suitable for conditions).

That 99 team is vastly overrated. The batting was awfully underpowered- Fleming , mcmillan etc were not world class standard for those times.. cairns was our only world class player . If you look at astle -yeah sure great by nz standards but compare him to other openers of the time and he was just "a middling odi opener".

Allot stepped up sure.

03 we relied on Bond offcousrse but lets not pretend everyone apart from vettori and bond were any good.

Id definetly take this team over all our other wc teams - bar 2015 offcourse.

flibbertyjibber

If you could hand pick a team to start against then Sri Lanka is the one so New Zealand have to get off to a good start and win. They will do and should do it fairly easily.

_Ed_

That 99 team is vastly overrated. The batting was awfully underpowered- Fleming , mcmillan etc were not world class standard for those times.. cairns was our only world class player . If you look at astle -yeah sure great by nz standards but compare him to other openers of the time and he was just "a middling odi opener".
Pretty sure Twose was ranked in the top three bats in the world in ODIs around the time of that World Cup.

Zinzan

Pretty sure Twose was ranked in the top three bats in the world in ODIs around the time of that World Cup.
Plus, our dibbly dobblers like Astle & Harris were always very economical at the time, and Gavin Larsen (even though I don't think he'd succeed in this era), was an ATVG white-ball bowler. Guy played from 1990-99 and managed a career ER of 3.7..

Problem I have with the bowlers outside Boult and Santner today, if they can literally be murdered for 8s-9s an over on a bad day, like what happened in the Windies warm-up, and we're exposed for 30 overs with this ordinariness.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Sri Lanka were ordinary here and haven't done well recently but never underestimate them, especially at a neutral venue.