• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Match - New Zealand v Sri Lanka

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sri Lanka were ordinary here and haven't done well recently but never underestimate them, especially at a neutral venue.
Indeed, and after losing to Bangers in the last CT in England after hammering them at home earlier that seasin should ensure they're cognisant of this possibility.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Like someone above said, boult and santner feel like they will do good. I have a lot of faith in Lockie as well....he hasn't looked all that great since the start of IPL but I believe he will come good here. Way too much talent to be kept down for long.

Zinzan

Like someone above said, boult and santner feel like they will do good. I have a lot of faith in Lockie as well....he hasn't looked all that great since the start of IPL but I believe he will come good here. Way too much talent to be kept down for long.
By too much talent, are you referring anything more than the fact he's fast?

I was really disappointed that he couldn't land a yorker to save himself in the IPL, the reason he then lost his overseas spot to that dude Gurney who hasn't been able to make either the ODI or T20 English side for 5 years.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia in the 99 world cup tried to stop NZ from progressing to the semis ahead of the West Indies.

_Ed_

IIRC, they played WI in their last pool game and deliberately batted really slowly in the chase to boost WI's net run rate. NZ then had to beat Scotland in super-quick time to progress.

Flem274*

123/5
this nz team, despite having 4 world class players (gup, kane, ross, boult), is pretty meh. ferguson, latham and santa are trustworthy, but they don't yet have the oomph to carry a knock out game. the rest are extremely untrustworthy or unproven.

i feel the 2007 team was a bit of a missed opportunity to reach the final tbh. shane bond with vettori at the end is enough to reduce a team to match sticks and the conditions were perfect for our batsmen who preffered the odi spinners (fleming, taylor, styris, mcmillan, oram etc)

we ran into mahela on a rare odi gem day and murali has always had the number of nz batsmen not called stephen fleming.

with the conditions in 2007 i think we could have made our team a bit better by swapping out the franklin/mason/gillespie spot for chris harris. oram and even styris/mcmillan were such trolls on those pitches. harris would have been perfect but nz wanted to shift towards #intent bowling.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Crowe was our only world class odi batsman in 92
Lol Andrew Jones had an ODI average of 42 going into the 92 World Cup and was almost up to 45 by the end of the second to last round robin game vs England.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Did you not know about this? It prompted Steve Waugh's famous line in the presser, 'we're not here to make friends we're here to win the world cup'
Lol, Came back to me as soon as it was mentioned. Don't worry, also had to be reminded recently about NZ sacrificing 2 points for not travelling to Kenya in the '03 WC.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I mean it definitely says something about how the Australians rated NZ, given that the WI weren't bad at all in 1999.

morgieb

I mean it definitely says something about how the Australians rated NZ, given that the WI weren't bad at all in 1999.
It also was the fact that they beat us in the group stage (as did Pakistan). So in the Super Sixes stage the West Indies going through would've given us more breathing room than in real life (where after the Pakistan game every game was effectively sudden death).

BeeGee

International Captain
That Super Sixes format was horrible.
Yes, it was ridiculous. It caused all the crazy game manipulation of trying to drag teams you've beaten into the super six, while blocking teams that beat you.