• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

32nd Match - England v Australia

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Buttler has essentially played three innings under pressure in this World Cup and scored a 75 ball century in one of them. Can't hack it clearly.
A 33% strike rate under the kosh plainly makes him a real clutch performer.

Last edited:

vcs

I still think this England side ought to win one of their next two games tbh. If they don't then, yeah, chokey-mc-chokeface. But 10 points probably still sees you in the door more often than not.
Pakistan losing tomorrow will make them feel a lot more comfortable. If they won that, you'd think they'd then beat Afghanistan and Bangladesh to get to 11. They're probably banking on India to beat both Bangladesh and Sri Lanka as well.

91Jmay

International Coach
Stinking chase, bunch of chokers. Need Roy back to remove dog**** Vince, still the rest of the side played absolute pony. Bairstow, Morgan giving it away.

trundler

Wasn't that a JAMODI? Seen a lot of Sachin/Kohli innings written off for that reason..
Not by me! He put up a century stand for the last wicket IIRC. Insanity.

I'd have Dhoni's 183, Anwar's 194, Sachin's desert storm all in the mix.

Spark

Global Moderator
If England wins only 1 and Pakistan wins all 3 (v NZ, Afg, BD) Pakistan go through
Which you would not bank on happening a majority of the time. I think Bangladesh is pound-for-pound a better side than Pakistan anyway.

Spark

Global Moderator
Wasn't that a JAMODI? Seen a lot of Sachin/Kohli innings written off for that reason..
JAMODIs have only really become a asterisk-worthy thing in recent years IMO when teams have quite clearly stopped taking them seriously at times and played obviously crap sides just to see how they went. Also with many series just shoehorned into random slots in the calendar purely to fill FTP/broadcast obligations rather than any sound cricketing reason, which only heightens the sense of "why are these happening and who cares". So I wouldn't hold it as a mark against Sachin, since he his peak was predominantly before that was a thing.

Last edited:

Burgey

You can play remarkable innings in JAMODIs, but they’re not worth a squirt of piss compared to a pressure knock in a WC.

Moss

International Vice-Captain

Kapil's 175 against the Zimbos in 1983 should be in the discussion, too bad the BBC went on strike for that day (so the story goes?)

Niall

International Coach
Pakistan losing tomorrow will make them feel a lot more comfortable. If they won that, you'd think they'd then beat Afghanistan and Bangladesh to get to 11. .
Pakistan v Bangladesh is very much 50/50 for me at the moment.

trundler

Kapil's 175 against the Zimbos in 1983 should be in the discussion, too bad the BBC went on strike for that day (so the story goes?)
Was only including non WC innings. If we include those then Richards 138, Ponting 140 and Gilchrist 149.

OverratedSanity

I'd vote for Aravinda's hundred in the WC final as the greatest ODI knock for having the best combination of pressure situation+ high quality opposition+ great strokeplay. There are lots of other innings which are better from one of the individual components but none with all three at such a high level.