• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2022-2023 New Zealand First-Class Draft

Flem274*

123/5
Well the guy who was nice enough to try to keep this thing going for you two for another season has had a moderately serious road accident. But yes, parasites just tend to suck harder, in adverse circumstances.
If it bothers you I'm happy to withdraw.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's probably a similar issue in that Davey is being over-rewarded for taking McPeake's wicket in the 2nd innings. The irony being McPeake was Wellington's top scorer, but still.
@Kippax - not sure I can think of a way around this issue using the current scoring model.

The issue here is the different points for Batsmen 1-5, 6-7 and 8-11 but excluding night-watchmen.

I did think that I could use the 1st innings as the default batting line up, but there's still a chance of a night-watchman there.

Then, from one game to the next, someone like McPeake (who is at best a reasonable #9) could end up being #7 due to a combination of electoral lunacy and the selection of players like Snedden, McComb etc. So, from one game to the next, McPeake could go from being worth 12 to 21 points.

This is the sort of non-logical, human-led thing where Excel sucks. Two alternatives would be:

1. Create a data table listing whether each player is top order, middle order, tail ender. In this case, regardless of place in the batting order, McPeake would always count as tail ender. The downside is having to add new players to the database and the lack of clarity over some players' roles (e.g. Georgeson could be opening, could be down at #7/8)
2. Use FC batting averages as a proxy. Say, if you have an average <15 at the start of the season, you're a tail ender. <30 & >15 then 'middle order' and >30 top order. Problems here are small sample sizes for some players, new players having no average at all but would recognise a wicket's value based on a (somewhat flawed) measure of a batsman's quality.

Obviously changing to either of these mid-season isn't workable, but something to think about in the future.

For now, it probably means an extra manual adjustment for the scorer. At least it should only be 3 adjustments

1. Blunter's Bonus
2. Spinner's Parsimony Bonus
3. Adjust value of wickets taken when batting line-up used a night-watchman

Any other suggestion as an alternative to 1 or 2 above is welcome!

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well the guy who was nice enough to try to keep this thing going for you two for another season has had a moderately serious road accident. But yes, parasites just tend to suck harder, in adverse circumstances.
When I ran this forum game, there was significantly less toxicity. Maybe you should try that.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Just don't enter these comps and bang the table for more time-consuming 11-man teams and frequent updates etc. if you don't intend to shoulder some of the burden. I think that's a perfectly reasonable thing to ask.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Amazing work @HeathDavisSpeed to mostly automate the scoring.

I'd briefly thought of how to do that myself, it seemed a huge task to pull the data from the format on the scorecards, pull out the relevant data and use oodles of special-case logic for the sorts of things below.
Ha. Bugger. Didn't think of c&b or the pain the arse of having multiple O'Donnells and K Clarkes.
You've made pretty short work of it, very well done.

HeathDavisSpeed

Amazing work @HeathDavisSpeed to mostly automate the scoring.

I'd briefly thought of how to do that myself, it seemed a huge task to pull the data from the format on the scorecards, pull out the relevant data and use oodles of special-case logic for the sorts of things below.

You've made pretty short work of it, very well done.
Ha! Longer ago than I care to think (about 12 years ago I suspect: http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/threads/rugby-union-sim.52393/), I built a rugby simulator in excel which will spit out commentary and statistics for an imaginary game of rugby. That taught me all the excel functions you need to know for this sort of task. This was child's play in comparison. But thank you!

I think it probably took about an hour or two of work all up to get it to the point it is now.

HeathDavisSpeed

Any interest in making one for the T20s this summer Heef? Dream11s own fantasy stuff is dire
I cbf to come up with rules. Heef's too much of a happy-go-lucky, heads in the clouds guy for such things as rules to tie him down. Plus, he likes talking in the 3rd person.

Come up with some rules, I might be able to though. As long as you keep them simple.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I cbf to come up with rules. Heef's too much of a happy-go-lucky, heads in the clouds guy for such things as rules to tie him down. Plus, he likes talking in the 3rd person.

Come up with some rules, I might be able to though. As long as you keep them simple.
Yeah simple is always good, the CW Fantasy system isn't too bad for scoring as a baseline imo. Then tinkering around to see what seems most fair to everyone.

Twenty20 Matches

BattingPoints
Each Run Scored1 Point
Scoring Rate 250+60 Points
Scoring Rate 200.0 - 249.950 Points
Scoring Rate 175.0 - 199.940 Points
Scoring Rate 150.0 - 174.930 Points
Scoring Rate 125.00 - 149.9920 Points
Scoring Rate 100.00 - 124.9910 Points
Scoring Rate 75.01 - 99.99-5 Points
Scoring Rate 0.0 - 75.0-10 Points
Duck-10 Points
Golden Duck-20 Points
Diamond Duck0 Points

Scoring rate min 20 runs or 20 balls

BowlingPoints
Each Wicket Taken30 Points
Each Maiden Over10 Points
R.R.P.O: 3.0 or Less40 Points
R.R.P.O: 3.01 to 4.0030 Points
R.R.P.O: 4.01 to 5.0025 Points
R.R.P.O: 5.01 to 6.0015 Points
R.R.P.O: 6.01 to 7.0010 Points
R.R.P.O: 8.01 to 9.00-10 Points
R.R.P.O: 9.01 to 10.00-15 Points
R.R.P.O: 10.01 to 12.00-20 Points
R.R.P.O: 12.01 to 14.00-25 Points
R.R.P.O: 14.00+-30 Points

Min 2 overs for economy

Per Catch10 points
Per WK Catch8 Points
Per Run Out10 Points
Per Stumping15 Points
Notes: If applicable all players involved in a run out score points.
30 Run milestone15 Points
50 Runs30 Points
75 Runs45 Points
100 Runs60 Points
130+ Runs80 Points
3 Wicket Haul40 Points
4 Wicket Haul50 Points
5 Wicket Haul60 Points
6 Wicket Haul75 Points
Not Out / Retired Hurt5 Points
4+ WK Dismissals20 Points
3+ Fielding Dismissals (Non WK)20 Points
Man of the Match100 Points

HeathDavisSpeed

Yeah simple is always good, the CW Fantasy system isn't too bad for scoring as a baseline imo. Then tinkering around to see what seems most fair to everyone.

Twenty20 Matches

BattingPoints
Each Run Scored1 Point
Scoring Rate 250+60 Points
Scoring Rate 200.0 - 249.950 Points
Scoring Rate 175.0 - 199.940 Points
Scoring Rate 150.0 - 174.930 Points
Scoring Rate 125.00 - 149.9920 Points
Scoring Rate 100.00 - 124.9910 Points
Scoring Rate 75.01 - 99.99-5 Points
Scoring Rate 0.0 - 75.0-10 Points
Duck-10 Points
Golden Duck-20 Points
Diamond Duck0 Points

Scoring rate min 20 runs or 20 balls

BowlingPoints
Each Wicket Taken30 Points
Each Maiden Over10 Points
R.R.P.O: 3.0 or Less40 Points
R.R.P.O: 3.01 to 4.0030 Points
R.R.P.O: 4.01 to 5.0025 Points
R.R.P.O: 5.01 to 6.0015 Points
R.R.P.O: 6.01 to 7.0010 Points
R.R.P.O: 8.01 to 9.00-10 Points
R.R.P.O: 9.01 to 10.00-15 Points
R.R.P.O: 10.01 to 12.00-20 Points
R.R.P.O: 12.01 to 14.00-25 Points
R.R.P.O: 14.00+-30 Points

Min 2 overs for economy

Per Catch10 points
Per WK Catch8 Points
Per Run Out10 Points
Per Stumping15 Points
Notes: If applicable all players involved in a run out score points.
30 Run milestone15 Points
50 Runs30 Points
75 Runs45 Points
100 Runs60 Points
130+ Runs80 Points
3 Wicket Haul40 Points
4 Wicket Haul50 Points
5 Wicket Haul60 Points
6 Wicket Haul75 Points
Not Out / Retired Hurt5 Points
4+ WK Dismissals20 Points
3+ Fielding Dismissals (Non WK)20 Points
Man of the Match100 Points
I've pretty much built 90% of that already. A few more formulae over the top and it'd work. Taking out the non-logic based functions means that you'd be able to automate 100% of the data. Perhaps using a macro to add the data to a separate sheet which effectively becomes the database.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Two double centuries for me this week, along with a pair (but that game will likely be excluded)

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Fancy low-ceiling McConchie and low-ceiling Schmulian delivering a 'Dawson crying' meme to Wellington youths, just as we were trying to get the ball rolling about discontinuing the use of the Dooka before Christmas.

One of that pair doesn't even have South African heritage on his side.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I don't appreciate Colin de Grandhomme, who I need to score more batting points than bowling points, bagging a pair this round.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes sorry for putting you crook pre-season. He's now got about 20 more bowling points than batting points. Maybe only one game left in his season, too. There's a chance he joins Munro in PSL cricket from the start of February until well into March.

Any word on Nuttall down your way @kaetor? Trying to prove fitness down at A level, or just joined McClure in getting on the wrong side of NZ stars being available and a Canty seeing good potential in its under-25s?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yes sorry for putting you crook pre-season. He's now got about 20 more bowling points than batting points. Maybe only one game left in his season, too. There's a chance he joins Munro in PSL cricket from the start of February until well into March.
Knew it was a risk - such is life.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Uni Oval on the schedule if he plays in R4, surely he'll just cruise to a ton and not bowl a lot down there.