• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2022-2023 New Zealand First-Class Draft

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Otago: Hamish Rutherford, Jacob Cumming, Dale Phillips, Dean Foxcroft, Thorn Parkes, Michael Rippon, Max Chu, Jake Gibson, Travis Muller, Jacob Duffy, Michael Rae, Jarrod McKay.

vandem

International 12th Man
Final pick Ferns. Wheeler-Greenall B3 (as all my other subs are bowlers). No other changes to my selections or batting order.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Final pick is Mitch Hay. We all know Matt Henry will be getting the nicks at this time of year, lots of 8-pointers for Hay on the cards if Fletcher isn't available.

No news to give you yet re: how long Fletcher, Nuttall or Shipley will be out for.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Seth Rance taking a break from four-dayers. Greg Hay broke his arm in the nets two weeks ago.

CENTRAL STAGS SQUAD

Tom Bruce (c) - Taranaki, RH batsman, off-spin bowler

Doug Bracewell - Hawke’s Bay, RH pace allrounder

Josh Clarkson - Nelson, RH pace allrounder

Dane Cleaver (w) - Manawatu, RH wicketkeeper-batsman

Ajaz Patel - Hawke’s Bay, LH off-spin bowler

Brett Randell - ex-Northern Districts, RH pace allrounder

Brad Schmulian - Hawke’s Bay, RH batsman, leg-spin bowler

Ben Smith - Whanganui, RH batsman

Blair Tickner - Hawke’s Bay, RH pace bowler

Ray Toole - Manawatu, LH pace bowler

Bayley Wiggins - Hawke’s Bay, RH batsman, wicketkeeper

Will Young - Taranaki, RH batsman

Players unavailable for selection

Seth Rance - Wairarapa

Greg Hay - Nelson (injury)

Bowlers Nathan Smith (back injury), Ben Sears (abdominal injury), Ollie Newton (birth of second son) Logan van Beek and Adam Milne (T20 World Cup) are all unavailable.

2020 ND and NZ U19 seamer Dave Hancock selected in Wellington squad.

No mention of Joey Field as an injured player so just didn't make the twelve? If that's the case I should bump him from the XI into reserves.

edit: No Josh Finnie in the Otago squad either, though that's less surprising as his numbers are not good.

Last edited:

vandem

International 12th Man
No mention of Joey Field as an injured player so just didn't make the twelve? If that's the case I should bump him from the XI into reserves.
Having watched Field play a few times in the last two seasons, I think his red ball bowling didn't progress last season as hoped (expected). And with Doug Bracewell fit, and Brett Randell having some batting ability, no need to pick your 5th best seamer just because they can bat at #7 / #8.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Having watched Field play a few times in the last two seasons, I think his red ball bowling didn't progress last season as hoped (expected). And with Doug Bracewell fit, and Brett Randell having some batting ability, no need to pick your 5th best seamer just because they can bat at #7 / #8.
Yeah agree - his first season I thought he looked like a bowler with some potential who could bat a bit, but whenever I caught clips last season he was falling away a lot in delivery stride, so no surprise he put up poor numbers.

I picked him in my draft team on the hope that he'd made some changes in the off-season and would come back stronger this one.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
McPeake led a whole bunch of inexperienced Wellington seamers early last season and still came away with barely a wicket iirc

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
That's right. He was really bad, but there's no Nathan Smith getting plenty through the air and off the pitch this time. If McPeake can't get 15 wickets over the next three weeks at the Basin, he'll have hit new levels of mediocrity.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
BetVictor put me on some extra harsh stake limits a long time ago, unfortunately. I'm surprised they now figure it's become safer to go swimming in these murky NZ first-class cricket waters. New employees, no doubt.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Will wait with baited breath to see how McPeake goes.

Decided it's worth rejigging my lineup. CDG looks like he may play the whole pre-Xmas round, though will probably mostly score bowlers points than batting. I'm very short of batting and will take a punt on Vishvaka getting a few matches this season instead of Finnie. Can't fit in Fisher, sadly. Please change to the following:

Rutherford (B1)
Popli (B2)
Seifert
G Phillips
Cleaver †
Vishvaka
de Grandhomme
Muller
Henry
Southee
Duffy

Fisher
Field
Z Gibson
Finnie

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
CdG still a bit worried about his heel injury on the bowling front, I think. He is known to do some dopey and completely unnecessary things though.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
CdG still a bit worried about his heel injury on the bowling front, I think. He is known to do some dopey and completely unnecessary things though.
Any news articles? I would like to bat him at six but if he does bowl, he's bound to take a bagful in pre-Xmas conditions and disqualify all his points from my side.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
No, just a hunch he stays all about the batting until the BBL money is collected.

If he takes hauls it wouldn't be his points you lose, that's something worth noting. It'd be your bowler who's got the fewest points at the end. Muller maybe.