• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Match - England v South Africa at The Oval

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Well played England, deserved favourites.

Not great batting from SA, but nothing unexpected or unknown either.

PikeyB

School Boy/Girl Captain
So pleased for them . Now gimmee them points! . I want to feel like a big man at the top of the table for a night .

Still pretty impressed with SA in the field , England have been barging through attacks and SA chilled them right out .

Archer is a crazy bonus . Honestly , I thought he was a risk we didn't have to take in the World Cup . I had him starting in the Ashes all day long but probably would have stuck with the blokes that got us here for this tournament :) .

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great game with some great moments to kick things off. Normally drubbings are boring but I was thoroughly entertained throughout (maybe barring overs 10-20 for England)

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Me too; and this is supposed to be a slowish pitch isn't it? Whilst I totally take Howe's point about 300+ always being more than competitive, it looked far better when we're unable to unleash Archer instead of David Willey. Our two most recent series against Pakistan and WI showed how vulnerable our attack could be.
watching him today I felt like he was holding something back a little v Pakistan.

certainly caught SA by surprise on a multiple occasions.

fella keeps his pace up, even in the longer form when I've seen him down at hove.

nick-o

State 12th Man
Well, that was a fun day out.

Haven't been to an ODI for decades, but that was a good one to experience.

That Stokes catch was astounding -- I was sitting just a few meters away and it was simply unreal. Archer the real deal too. Getting a real good feeling for this year's team. Bring it on!

thierry henry

International Coach
Unbelievably bad analysis throughout this thread, acting like SA were odds on and 300+ was a poor score.

Very kneejerk and a complete lack of perspective, I expect better CW.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I though England had a good chance, didn't expect that big a margin. Funny how the commentators were going on constantly in about the last 20 overs of England's innings about how good a batting surface it was, despite it not appearing so.

thierry henry

International Coach
I though England had a good chance, didn't expect that big a margin. Funny how the commentators were going on constantly in about the last 20 overs of England's innings about how good a batting surface it was, despite it not appearing so.
I also thought it was funny how coming into the last 10 overs, they were raving about how England average 9.5 RPO at the death. After a wobble from overs 40-45, England scored 46 off the last 5 and all I heard was how they were struggling.

England also scored 100 runs off 15 overs from 25-40 and not once did I hear about how they had done a good job of easily accelerating without losing wickets.

Definitely a bit of perspective missing.

veganbob

U19 Captain
Anyone else feel that stokes catch is very overated?

Its getting so much hype - Im sure ive seen over 300 more impressive catches in cricket before.
It was just a quick jump and a catch from a tall guy. Great catch but there have been 100s that are more impressive than that.

91Jmay

International Coach
Anyone else feel that stokes catch is very overated?

Its getting so much hype - Im sure ive seen over 300 more impressive catches in cricket before.
It was just a quick jump and a catch from a tall guy. Great catch but there have been 100s that are more impressive than that.
Bad opinion