• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Match - England v South Africa at The Oval

SeamUp

International Coach
Woakes or Curran I presume for England ? Vince, Dawson & Wood the other extras.

Gibson basically said Pretorius or Morris for Steyn. Didn't rule out Shamsi but doubt it. Other decision is can they fit Markram in. Miller would be in trouble then but that could change as tournament goes on.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Pretty sure Woakes will play as probably the only player who will bowl conventional outswing with the new ball. Attack will be Woakes/Archer/Plunkett/Stokes/Rashid/Ali.

Could see that 3rd spot going to Curran a fair bit, and Wood to come in if there’s an injury scare.

I’m guessing at some point we will see Stokes rested which case we’ll probably see more bowlers and Moeen/Woakes up to 6/7.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Woakes or Curran I presume for England ? Vince, Dawson & Wood the other extras.

Gibson basically said Pretorius or Morris for Steyn. Didn't rule out Shamsi but doubt it. Other decision is can they fit Markram in. Miller would be in trouble then but that could change as tournament goes on.
Miller is a must - as the only slog-overs hitter. I think one of Markram, Dussen and Duminy will have to sit. Given Duminy's experience and his bowling in absence of Steyn, I doubt it'll be him.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty sure Woakes will play as probably the only player who will bowl conventional outswing with the new ball. Attack will be Woakes/Archer/Plunkett/Stokes/Rashid/Ali.

Could see that 3rd spot going to Curran a fair bit, and Wood to come in if there’s an injury scare.

I’m guessing at some point we will see Stokes rested which case we’ll probably see more bowlers and Moeen/Woakes up to 6/7.
I have a feeling Morgan has made up his mind about Wood - don't be surprised if he's starting with the new ball.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Miller is a must - as the only slog-overs hitter. I think one of Markram, Dussen and Duminy will have to sit. Given Duminy's experience and his bowling in absence of Steyn, I doubt it'll be him.
He quite often needs to much time to get in, and has been inconsistent. I can remember one period of consistency where I thought he was turning it around about 18 months ago, never really pushed on. There is a reason his place has been questioned for awhile now.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
He quite often needs to much time to get in, and has been inconsistent. I can remember one period of consistency where I thought he was turning it around about 18 months ago, never really pushed on. There is a reason his place has been questioned for awhile now.
Yes I get all that - but who else can play that role in last 10 overs?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yes I get all that - but who else can play that role in last 10 overs?
Duminy has shown the ability, and I think Markram can take any attack apart. van Dussen in his recent T20 outings has also shown some good hitting ability.

SeamUp

International Coach
I have always been a JP Duminy fan but I think his spot is equally under pressure to Miller. He has hardly scored a run in the last 12 months when he has been fit and has an average tournament record.

If they want Markram in tomorrow I am fine if it is Miller left out but I can easily see it changing as the world cup goes on and he has a fine tournament record to push his case.

If Miller doesn't play tomorrow, it makes me want Morris even more. Get him through 6/7 overs and maybe Markram/Duminy 12/13 overs.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Considering the expected overcast conditions, Pretorius may just play. I mean with a moving ball he can be pretty dangerous.

I will be surprised if Markram plays. But it could be a toss up between Morris and Pretorius.

SeamUp

International Coach
Considering the expected overcast conditions, Pretorius may just play. I mean with a moving ball he can be pretty dangerous.

I will be surprised if Markram plays. But it could be a toss up between Morris and Pretorius.
True. Supposedly will be overcast and it may come into Pretorius' hands.

Either way, I don't think tomorrows result is the be all and end all. I think it may give us some answers even if we do lose.

SeamUp

International Coach
Faf pre-match presser

a fit Dale Steyn makes our attack a very strong one.

Adds that Steyn was about 60% fit when squad was picked.

No point playing defensive cricket against England, because they have shown they can take any attack apart.

Whether you're favourites or not, you still have to go out and play good cricket.
England deserve that tag, because they have played unbelievable cricket

“the focus for us is really having a good time. You treat these games as more important than others, but you have to be relaxed. We can’t go too high or too low. If we win against England, we’ll stay calm.”

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
George Dobell
@GeorgeDobell1
Not confirmed but, judging from nets, it seems Plunkett plays and Wood doesn’t.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
So,

QDK
Amla
Dussen/Markram
Faf
Duminy
Miller
Pretorius/Morris
Lucky
Rabada
Ngidi
Tahir

vs

Roy
YJB
Root
Morgan
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Woakes
Rashid
Plunkett
Archer

?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
So,

QDK
Amla
Dussen/Markram
Faf
Duminy
Miller
Pretorius/Morris
Lucky
Rabada
Ngidi
Tahir
vd Dussen will play. Shoot out between Miller and Markram. Likely Miller will be given the spot. Morris and Pretorius could be condition dependant, but think that Gibson is a Morris fan and he will get the spot. Else team picks itself.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Is the option really not there for Markram to play over Amla?

That'd probably be my choice honestly. I just don't trust Hash - even after his warm-up performances.