• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Match - England v South Africa at The Oval

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone else feel that stokes catch is very overated?

Its getting so much hype - Im sure ive seen over 300 more impressive catches in cricket before.
It was just a quick jump and a catch from a tall guy. Great catch but there have been 100s that are more impressive than that.
Nah it was a very fine catch. Not, as Nasser Hussain said, the greatest catch ever (he'd basically say a dolly to silly point was the greatest catch ever if a Pom took it, that's why his commentary, as with his droning voice, is so odious, parochial and error-riddled) but it was still a great grab.

Burgey

Sorry mate, I'll rely on 25 plus years practicing law rather than gather a few tidbits from an anonymous blogger. But feel free to hit the books (you know, the real ones) all you ****ing well like.

Daemon

sometimes i imagine burgey and sledger just prowling the forums in court dress just waiting to pounce on people who make ill informed posts on legal and data security respectively

not the heroes we need but the ones we deserve

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Depressing effort, England looked on top all throughout their bowling innings. Archer had exactly the sort of impact they hoped he would.

Annoying that Plunkett picks up a couple of largely undeserved cheap wickets yet again

Burgey

Yeah Archer looks very good indeed. Great find for England. I'm grateful our blokes have seen a lot of him via the BBL, so they at least shouldn't be too surprised at what he dishes up.

Hope Amla is ok. SA have three matches in a week including last night, so if he's badly concussed he could end up missing a significant chunk of the tourney.

PikeyB

School Boy/Girl Captain
Unbelievably bad analysis throughout this thread, acting like SA were odds on and 300+ was a poor score.

Very kneejerk and a complete lack of perspective, I expect better CW.
You say that , but England had all kinds of good measured analysis , in 2007 and '11 and '15 ...and it didn't help us none .We were so far off the pace in '15 it was embarrassing . After the debacle of 2015 ,England had to tear up everything we thought we knew about one day cricket . One of the first things to go was the notion that 300 was a good score . To the England mindset 300 is the new 240 :it's 'something to bowl at' .

I would be delighted if this World Cup proved that good cricket trumps shooting for the moon but I'm skeptical . I'll be interested to see how West Indies approach the game today.

91Jmay

International Coach
Sorry mate, I'll rely on 25 plus years practicing law rather than gather a few tidbits from an anonymous blogger. But feel free to hit the books (you know, the real ones) all you ****ing well like.
In the UK? Or in Aus?

You are genuinely trying to claim that the average sentence for affray is a long custodial one?

Zinzan

Damn, just pipped by Howe

England score sweep: (Closed)

Burgey 264
Trundler 280
Weldone 282
StephenZA 289
Howe 299
Zinzan 327
Seamup 329
Cabinet 330
Harsh 338
Jaideep 341
Groundking 347
PikeyB 355
Mr_mister 400

91Jmay

International Coach
sometimes i imagine burgey and sledger just prowling the forums in court dress just waiting to pounce on people who make ill informed posts on legal and data security respectively

not the heroes we need but the ones we deserve
He hasn't provided any evidence he has just said "I am very old".

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
That net run rate is going to be very important when the top 4 is decided. Worrying start for the Saffas to be far behind on NRR early

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
That net run rate is going to be very important when the top 4 is decided. Worrying start for the Saffas to be far behind on NRR early
SA generally start the WCs on a great note and then things progressively start getting worse for them towards the business end. For a change, it would not hurt them to start so badly and then progressively improve.

Pom_in_SA

Cricket Spectator
SA generally start the WCs on a great note and then things progressively start getting worse for them towards the business end. For a change, it would not hurt them to start so badly and then progressively improve.
They will need a much better batting line up for that too happen

Pom_in_SA

Cricket Spectator
Of course it was not.a stupid time to retire..he has just had two kids in the last three years.

...It is the best time of his life to be there for his wife / family...cricket is just a game in comparison.