• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Discussing Infractions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnerd123

likes this
The problem with doing this privately via email is that the discussion doesnt become an open conversation between all the members of the forum, but a behind-closed-doors conversation between the group of mods and the one complainant.

You're all good people and I'm not trying to imply anything malicious here, and I understand wanting to keep this convo off the main website as to not bother people who dont want to read that, but surely there is a better way to do this no? I have things to say and I am sure many other members have things to say, and I want to hear what they have to say and see how the mod team responds to it. In a group conversation you always learn more and have more perspectives than just one man airing his grievances. Plus I just dont have the time or energy to have a thorough discussion with the mod team on my own (inb4 comments about the podcast and lengthy blocky rants), and what I love about forums is being anle to put out an idea or opinion and returning later to read how other members pick it up and run with it. I also love being able to see other people put out a new perspective that I hadnt thought of and seeing that being discussed.

May I suggest we have some sort of chatroom/mini forum thingy (like we have for Mafia games) where the mods and all concerned members can get together and talk about this off the main forum? I feel this would work better than one-on-many email chains.

indiaholic

International Captain
Problem with this would be a group of people ganging up on the mods for not doing what they want done. Don't think it is the kind of thing mods would want to deal with. Plus creates a disincentive for future mods.

cnerd123

likes this
I see that, but I guess if people actually feel that way then that dissent is going to burst out somehow anyways?

Atleast by providing them a means to vent out their frustrations you give them an outlet off the main forum

Plus im inclined to believe that those who actually want to talk about the work the mods do are generally members who have been here a while and are capable of civil discussion. Many of them may have already used the email channel to talk about this stuff too.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's still going to be their decision at the end of the day. I just always like transparency when it can be afforded.

Shri

Mr. Glass
This won't happen because the assholes never respond to emails these days. I've tried.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
May I suggest we have some sort of chatroom/mini forum thingy (like we have for Mafia games) where the mods and all concerned members can get together and talk about this off the main forum? I feel this would work better than one-on-many email chains.
Already exists.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This won't happen because the assholes never respond to emails these days. I've tried.
In fairness I emailed them yesterday asking them to ban Blocky and they've responsed today, can't ask much more than that.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's still going to be their decision at the end of the day. I just always like transparency when it can be afforded.
In general a lot of us agree. But we work within the system that we have at the moment - it has its drawbacks of which this is the main one.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personally think it would be an absolute nightmare for mods to have to justify every decision they make publicly. Given these decisions are by nature very subjective & open to interpretation, and there's rarely an official right/wrong answer, I think it will create more questions than answers and more confusion ti air things publicly.

Hence the only sensible way IMO is to continue with mod discretion, even if that means it won't always be perfectly consistent. I'm doubtful discussing matters publicly will lead to any more consistency & I think we've already been provided with reasonable enough guidelines of what's acceptable posting and what's not.

Just my 2 cents.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Handing out infractions is like giving someone out LBW - the person who receives them never agrees with them, and for everyone else at the ground it depends on where they're standing.

Daemon

What's "repetitive posting"? Is it against the rules to keep bringing up the same point again and again over days and threads? Good rule ftr. Might need to infract Burgey and his tiresome AB posts. :ph34r:

Spark

Global Moderator
What's "repetitive posting"? Is it against the rules to keep bringing up the same point again and again over days and threads? Good rule ftr. Might need to infract Burgey and his tiresome AB posts. :ph34r:
Don't be shivfan, basically.

cnerd123

likes this
Personally think it would be an absolute nightmare for mods to have to justify every decision they make publicly. Given these decisions are by nature very subjective & open to interpretation, and there's rarely an official right/wrong answer, I think it will create more questions than answers and more confusion ti air things publicly.

Hence the only sensible way IMO is to continue with mod discretion, even if that means it won't always be perfectly consistent. I'm doubtful discussing matters publicly will lead to any more consistency & I think we've already been provided with reasonable enough guidelines of what's acceptable posting and what's not.

Just my 2 cents.
For me the purpose of having discourse isnt necessarily to challenge the mods consistency in decision making, but to understand how they interpret the scenarios better.

For example, i've made no secret of how i interpret Blocky's posting. My line of questioning would be more towards trying to understand how the mods interpret his posting, and why they interpret it that way.

Secondly, i think the discourse will help the mods better understand what us posters expect out of vague nebulous terms such as 'forum atmosphere' and the like.

I dont want a means of putting the judges on trial by the public, so to speak. I want an avenue of discussion where they can explain to all of us how they come to their decisions, and where we can voice our concerns if we have any. Really just an open channel of communication. And I do appreciate that the email system is meant to be this way, but as stated in the OP id much prefer a group chat/forum kind of things instead.

And by all means, if all it ends up being is a village mob trying to shout down the mods and persecute them, then abandon the idea. But i do believe all of us are a lot better than that, and that such a discussion can be civil and informative and can go some way to improving the mod/poster relationship somewhat. Even if we dont get a Blocky perma ban out of it

Zinzan

I don't think mods will necessarily be held on trial, just can't see much benefit from a practical standpoint, but can see it leading to more questions & confusion.

Who knows, I could be wrong.

Burgey

I think people need to keep in mind the mods do this stuff as volunteers. There's been times I've disagreed with **** they've decided, but at the end of the day unless you're prepared to get paid nothing and be a sounding board for every whinger on the site and arbitrate disputes between angry and juvenile members (like me), you pretty much have to wear the decision or sod off.

indiaholic

International Captain
Agree with Burgey. My only concern is that the mods are maybe not active enough on the forums.. Think they would have banned people way earlier if that was the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.