• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ian Botham vs Kapil Dev

Ian Botham vs Kapil Dev?

• Total voters

salman85

International Debutant
Two of the more under-discussed players on the forums,which is rather surprising going by the large number of English and Indian fans here.

Reckon Botham will win this one,but i just want to see the arguments thrown in favor of Kapil and whether this will be as one sided as i think.My knowledge of Kapil's exploits is limited,and perhaps this thread will significantly increase it.

Happy debating!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I love reading about Kapil and listening to family and friends talk about him when they saw him live. But Botham was the better test player. Can't be denied.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both their own countries best ever all rounders, both would walk into their own sides best ever team but Beefy was clearly the better, more hundreds and his early wicket taking exploits were up there with the very best before the injuries took hold.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's a great pity that Botham didn't stop bowling when he couldn't bowl fast anymore and that he didn't give up altogether several years before he did. If he had there would have been no need for this thread at all

Same considerations apply to Kapil to a certain extent, but in his pomp Botham was just magnificent - and, as per the Jubilee Test in Mumbai, he most certainly could produce the goods on the sub-continent

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Botham is the greatest all round cricketer in history. Unfortunately his lack of dedication means it wasn't shown in his performances beyond the peak years for a Human Being where you can get away with it.

smash84

The Tiger King
Botham is the greatest all round cricketer in history. Unfortunately his lack of dedication means it wasn't shown in his performances beyond the peak years for a Human Being where you can get away with it.
He didn't have the dedication or the discipline yet he was the greatest all rounder in history :happy:

karan316

State Vice-Captain
There are many videos of Hadlee, Imran and Botham, I wish there were some more videos of Kapil,
I have requested Rob, maybe he would upload it someday if he has time.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Why single out a single country ? Maybe they had Botham's number and it could be because they knew Botham's game more than anyone else did. If I am not wrong Richards and Botham were team mates at Somerset for a quite a few years.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Why single out a single country ? Maybe they had Botham's number and it could be because they knew Botham's game more than anyone else did. If I am not wrong Richards and Botham were team mates at Somerset for a quite a few years.
Botham's peak years would have coincided with the West Indies' peak years as well wouldn't they?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
He didn't have the dedication or the discipline yet he was the greatest all rounder in history :happy:
I deliberate said "greatest all around cricketer" and not "greatest all rounder" so that anyone with a brain could differentiate between judging on ability or achievement.

We all know that sooner or later you're going to say that Imran Khan is the greatest cricketer ever so you might as well get it over with.:sleep1:

smash84

The Tiger King
I deliberate said "greatest all around cricketer" and not "greatest all rounder" so that anyone with a brain could differentiate between judging on ability or achievement.
The point still holds :p

Gary Sobers would probably fit in better with the greatest all round cricketer tag 8-)

Furball

Evil Scotsman

We all know that sooner or later you're going to say that Imran Khan is the greatest cricketer ever so you might as well get it over with.:sleep1:
In my book he's the greatest all-rounder, but then again I suspect my definition of an all rounder is slightly different in that I expect a great all-rounder to contribute well in both disciplines at the same time.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Time for me to post some of the incredible achievements by Botham:

• Only cricketer to pick 5 wkts in an innings and score a century in the same match 5 times. No one did it more than twice.
  • Only cricketer to take 10+ fivers and 10+ hundreds
  • Only cricketer to break the 800 ICC rating point barrier both as batsman and as bowler

For someone so unbelievably gifted, it's a sad thing that he could not maintain the levels of commitment / did not hang his boot at the right time.