• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Final 2 - NZ v Australia - Eden Park

Athlai

Not Terrible
I reckon if Slade wasn't injured for the next game Cruden would probably end up starting. If that were the case I'd prefer Slade on the bench than Donald.

Ah well hopefully it won't be too much of an issue.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Agree about Gear, should have been there in the first place truth be told. Let's face it, Slade's injury was a blessing in disguise for mine. I'm not a big fan of Gruden or Donald for that matter, but both give me more confidence than Gruden.
Gruden? :blink:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I am interested in who will play fullback - Gear can't play there - presumably he will go to wing and Jane will go to fullback -

Plan A is for Dagg to play I guess.
I'd imagine it'll be Cory Jane at 15 if Dagg's still unable to play; I'd say Dagg will be fit to play though.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Love that Cruden's now 1st choice 1st 5. I saw him at the Wales v SA game last month in the crowd, and he was pissed off his nut. What a champ.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just on the Donald thing: was it a visa issue or was the ABs planning so meticulous/paranoid it involved keeping the 4th choice outside-half in NZ for the duration in case two of the chaps ahead of him broke down?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The latter, I'd imagine. Probably didn't want any off-contract guys leaving until after the World Cup in the unlikely event they were required.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
After watching Aaron Cruden's interview today I have come to the conclusion that we don't have a **** show of winning.

"The guys have told me to just be Aaron Cruden and to express myself and I intend to do that - last year in Aussie i was too nervous to fully express myself"

The reason why he was ****e is that all he did last year was express himself - little grubber kicks - solo runs there - and never passing the ball to his centres.

His turn around in the last game was because he didn't express himself - he actually passed the ball.

if I was not a kiwi I would change my tip in the tipping competition but i don't want to have split loyalties.

Rant over.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
McCaw wasn't fit in that game either and neither was Carter. The pair of them have been carrying injuries all season. McCaw took a huge knock early on in that game and Carter had one of his worst ever performances in a black jersey, but it was a very poor All Black performance for the most part with only a few players living up to their usual standards. Nevertheless, that was in August. If you look at the World Cup to date, Australia has regressed from that Brisbane performance and New Zealand have improved in the back three and more crucially the pack. This World Cup is no longer about Richie McCaw and Dan Carter. Guys like Tony Woodcock, Owen Franks, Jerome Kaino, Peri Weepu and Israel Dagg hold the keys to victory. Of course, Australia can win. If they were going to break their losing streak at Eden Park it would be more likely to happen on the big stage than in a Bledisloe test, but New Zealand are playing at home and have a very good team and need to go out there and perform to their ability. The last time Aaron Cruden started against Australia in Sydney he was let down by the senior players around him and some poor prep from the coaches for that game, but we still won.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
We lost to them with Carter in our last outing - now Mccaw isn't 100%

Is Beale playing or not?
That match in Brisbane represents a completely different situation to the SF on Sunday, and Ohtani's jacket has made a good post explaining that. I'll add too that the AB squad for that match was very disjointed, that the ABs had just come off a loss, and the Wallabies were playing in Brisbane which followed on from the Reds success in Super Rugby and seemed to motivate the Australians. I'd also add to his list of key players Conrad Smith and Kieran Read, both of whom are crucial to an AB victory. As for Cruden, I actually quite like the attitude he expressed in that interview. I got the impression Slade was under quite strict instructions in terms of a gameplan to try and fill the gap Carter left, and clearly he wasn't able to do so. In my mind, since Cruden's recently been added to the mix he hasn't been quite so influenced into playing in that style, and is rather carrying on from where he left off in the ITM Cup, in which he was outstanding, with his own style.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
McCaw wasn't fit in that game either and neither was Carter. The pair of them have been carrying injuries all season. McCaw took a huge knock early on in that game and Carter had one of his worst ever performances in a black jersey, but it was a very poor All Black performance for the most part with only a few players living up to their usual standards. Nevertheless, that was in August. If you look at the World Cup to date, Australia has regressed from that Brisbane performance and New Zealand have improved in the back three and more crucially the pack. This World Cup is no longer about Richie McCaw and Dan Carter. Guys like Tony Woodcock, Owen Franks, Jerome Kaino, Peri Weepu and Israel Dagg hold the keys to victory. Of course, Australia can win. If they were going to break their losing streak at Eden Park it would be more likely to happen on the big stage than in a Bledisloe test, but New Zealand are playing at home and have a very good team and need to go out there and perform to their ability. The last time Aaron Cruden started against Australia in Sydney he was let down by the senior players around him and some poor prep from the coaches for that game, but we still won.

That match in Brisbane represents a completely different situation to the SF on Sunday, and Ohtani's jacket has made a good post explaining that. I'll add too that the AB squad for that match was very disjointed, that the ABs had just come off a loss, and the Wallabies were playing in Brisbane which followed on from the Reds success in Super Rugby and seemed to motivate the Australians. I'd also add to his list of key players Conrad Smith and Kieran Read, both of whom are crucial to an AB victory. As for Cruden, I actually quite like the attitude he expressed in that interview. I got the impression Slade was under quite strict instructions in terms of a gameplan to try and fill the gap Carter left, and clearly he wasn't able to do so. In my mind, since Cruden's recently been added to the mix he hasn't been quite so influenced into playing in that style, and is rather carrying on from where he left off in the ITM Cup, in which he was outstanding, with his own style.
Good posts - I could quibble with minor details - but on the whole enjoyed reading both perspectives especially OJs.

I think we have a different understanding of what "Cruden's style" means. And what him expressing himself means.

to me it means him trying to do everything himself and not passing to Nonu.

If in the ITM cup he shone by PASSING the ball rather than breaking the line himself then I will be reassured.