• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Championless Trophy? - stop the bs and go

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/...pakistanboycott/2008/06/18/1213770732237.html

Ok, so Pakistan during Ramadan would not appear on too many peoples' "must do" lists.

However, whilst I supported the boycott of the recent tour, there is little doubt that the situation in that country is less volatile than it was a few months ago and, as such, the Australians should be roundly criticised if they refuse to play in this event UNLESS things deteriorate again

Also, isn't it just a tad hypocritical to be discussing the situation in Pakistan at a meeting in Dubai despite this:

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/United_Arab_Emirates

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I said it in the previous boycott thread, the election/current volatility excuse didn't wash. Pakistan wasn't going to get considerably better or worse for a long long time.

Many people called it then, these guys won't be going to Pakistan for a long time. Probably never.

EDIT: Yep from the old thread:

I'm not saying it's safe, what I'm saying is it's no different to any other time during the country's history.

I can't see any Australian team going anywhere near the place for a very very long time.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a really difficult one, and I'd imagine it rests more on the senior players - if they say they'll go, the rest of the team are likely to follow.

I also expect there to be a big backlash over the decision of Warne/Watson to stay in Jaipur during the IPL if the Australians don't go - which I think is unfair. That was a personal decision and even if Australia don't go to the CT, we don't know the views of the individual players. That said, it would be really interesting to hear Watson's views on the subject... but I doubt we will. I expect he'll keep his mouth shut.

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah, called this ages ago (think was the first on here). More interesting now is the fact other countries are involved and what decisions they take.

I think the right thing to do would be to let whoever wants to go, go, whoever wants to stay, let them stay. If that means fielding a second XI, so be it. I'd be just as interested in that as how our senior players faired and there's no way you could tell me that fringe players wouldn't jump at the chance. Obviously it'll never happen though.

James

Cricket Web Owner
From what I read on Fox Sports a few weeks ago, there's a great chance of the Champions Trophy being moved to England which is the backup country for the tournament.

Craig

World Traveller
Either you hold the tournament or you don't hold it at all. Either India or Australia would be the most viable options at that time of the year (and I could be wrong about South Africa) if they were going to move it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That June is poor (well, more accurately the odd day in June - mostly it's been pretty good the last couple of weeks) doesn't mean either a) October won't be or b) that it won't matter that October is poor.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh no, international cricket in England in October? 8-)
Well, last time it was in September...

"They say you can't have cricket in England in September, well look at this!" - David Lloyd

But yeah, October is pushing it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Last time it was September, yeah - and that was a fiasco, as was always a fair possibility.

October would change the probability of fiasco from very possible to almost certain.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Keep it in Pakistan, if you don't want to go, don't go. I'm not getting into this one again :p. My opinions are clear.

funnygirl

State Regular
To be fair for the Kiwis they obviously have some reasons to worry .They indeed came to pakistan in the last series in 2001 only to find a huge explosion near to their hotel room which shattered some window glasses found nearby Craig Mcmillan .The situation at that time was better ,i guess .

There is a certain unpredictability in pakistan when u watch from outside ,however may not be the case when u r living there .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To be fair for the Kiwis they obviously have some reasons to worry .They indeed came to pakistan in the last series in 2001 only to find a huge explosion near to their hotel room which shattered some window glasses found nearby Craig Mcmillan .
2002 TBH.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That June is poor (well, more accurately the odd day in June - mostly it's been pretty good the last couple of weeks) doesn't mean either a) October won't be or b) that it won't matter that October is poor.
Isn't it dark by about 4 pm in October in England? :p

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It is getting there tbh. Think we would struggle to get a Twenty20 played due to the light on the grimmer days in October, playing a supposedly prestigious tournament here anytime outside of the regular cricket season is foolish tbh