• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Championless Trophy? - stop the bs and go

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
But they've toured everywhere else in the subcontinent. They've been to India for numerous ODI tours and the tests in 01 and 04. Went to SL too iirc.

I don't really think CA is taking into account whether there's a Pakistani version of Home Nightclub in making its decision. Of course, some players might and if they do, then they're idiots.
It is really hard to think there aren't other issues involved when they have been to other countries with similar issues and many times haven't even consider security. If Pakistan isn't safe now, then really no time in the last two decades has Sri Lanka been safe. But only once they have not toured. You got to ask why is that the case.

Polo23

International Debutant
Right now Sri Lanka would be more dangerous then Pakistan. Around the election time Pakistan was more dangerous. It is all realitive to the time frame. Overall they are about the same in certain parts and have been for decades.

But really as long as you stay away from those parts you are safe enough in both.

The point really is that if your not going to one country due to security concerns, then why are you going to another country when they have similar issues.
Tell that to the 2001 NZ team.

Bomb blast right outside their hotel room. Were lucky not to be killed. They had to be ******ed from the hotel walking past people who had limbs blown off and dead people scattered all around.

Not to mention having death threats sent to them before a tour because there was some religious month going on in Pakistan. What a joke.

You wouldnt see me going, I value my life more than a game of cricket...and i'd prefer my limbs attached to my body.

FRAZ

International Captain
Tell that to the 2001 NZ team.

Bomb blast right outside their hotel room. Were lucky not to be killed. They had to be ******ed from the hotel walking past people who had limbs blown off and dead people scattered all around.
Not to mention having death threats sent to them before a tour because there was some religious month going on in Pakistan. What a joke.

You wouldnt see me going, I value my life more than a game of cricket...and i'd prefer my limbs attached to my body.
I like the description of the situation (I mean the words that are used ) tbh !!!

Mard

Banned
NZC confirms touring Pakistan: PCB official
5 Jul, 2008 2016hrs IST, PTI

KARACHI: The New Zealand Cricket has assured its Pakistani counterparts it will undertake a short tour before the Champions Trophy despite security concerns being voiced by some of its players.

A senior PCB official said on Tuesday that New Zealand's tour was very much on and the Champions Trophy would also be held on schedule in Pakistan.

"So far New Zealand have confirmed the tour and we have heard nothing from the International Cricket Council indicating they are thinking about taking the tournament to some other venue," the official said.

New Zealand are due to tour Pakistan from August 20 to play three One-Day Internationals prior to the eight-nation tournament.

Their matches have been restricted to Faisalabad and Multan, the two small venues in the province of Punjab.

Some New Zealand players including allrounder Jacob Oram have voiced concerns over touring Pakistan because of the uncertain security conditions.

The ICC is also carrying out extensive security checks and monitoring for the tournament with another delegation visiting Lahore on Tuesday.

The PCB official admitted that the New Zealand team's tour would be the final test case for the Champions Trophy to be held on schedule.

"Their tour will pave the way for the tournament to be held in Pakistan," he said.

http://cricket.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/3237941.cms

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Right now Sri Lanka would be more dangerous then Pakistan. Around the election time Pakistan was more dangerous. It is all realitive to the time frame. Overall they are about the same in certain parts and have been for decades.

But really as long as you stay away from those parts you are safe enough in both.

The point really is that if your not going to one country due to security concerns, then why are you going to another country when they have similar issues.
I think that's the point. IIRC two tours ago was hot on the heels of the Afghan war kicking off, and early this year was close to the election. The NZ development is a positive one though - I understood they were being guided by the same security guys as Aus and England. Not sure it that's so, but if it is, and NZ are going, you'd think it makes it more likely Australia and England will too.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Meh, it'll get moved, Pakistan will get shafted again and all will be rosy. Can't see how a global split is in anyone's best interests.
Yeah pretty much what I figure will happen. Too much money involved to risk a split. Countries like Pakistan, with an incompetent board and weak teams, will continue to take it up the backside. Might as well get used to it I suppose.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Okay..Have been meaning to post this.

I recently had an opportunity to interview with US Army for a Consultant Position in Iraq, very, very lucrative contract (Initially for 1 year, after selection and Background Checks etc etc). For a moment I thought about the money but very next thought was my family, my two kids, 4 & 2, my wife and my parents and (somewhat uninformed) situation in Iraq. Both my heart and head - immidiately said NO.

Now I am not saying the situation in Pakistan is similar to Iraq nor do I want to influence others' opinion on the subject, but just stating that this one small incident has changed my stance on the subject forever.

Fusion

Global Moderator

I recently had an opportunity to interview with US Army for a Consultant Position in Iraq, very, very lucrative contract (Initially for 1 year, after selection and Background Checks etc etc). For a moment I thought about the money but very next thought was my family, my two kids, 4 & 2, my wife and my parents and (somewhat uninformed) situation in Iraq. Both my heart and head - immidiately said NO.

Now I am not saying the situation in Pakistan is similar to Iraq nor do I want to influence others' opinion on the subject, but just stating that this one small incident has changed my stance on the subject forever.
Sanz – I respect your decision and can understand your reasoning. However, like you pointed out, the situation in Pakistan and Iraq is not the same. There is a full on civil war + insurgency taking place in Iraq. There are terrorist groups in Pakistan, but the level of violence is nowhere close. Also, you as an indidual will not be getting the state-level security that players in Pakistan will get. I will argue that while you may be a specific target in Iraq (as someone who is working for the US army even in civilian capacity might be), the cricket players have never been perceived as targets. My whole point is that Pakistan is safe to tour and the tournament should take place there. Now if individual players want to pull-out, that’s their decision and I will respect it. Let’s play the tournament with those willing to travel to Pakistan is all I’m asking.

godofcricket

State 12th Man

Its amazing how some people can manage to come to such a ridiculous conclusion.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
ESPN now probably be the big player in this. Papers reporting that they don't want weakened sides being sent over, so may push for the trophy to be moved to prevent this.

pasag

RTDAS
I wonder if it was based on proper security reports and analysis or just a vote along the traditional lines.

Hopefully the Australian players won't decide as a group to go or boycott and the decision is made on an individual basis. Am looking forward to it, especially after the 2006 CT, which was a great tournament.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Not for me sir. Although, I can understand why you would think so.
With all due respect to your opinions on this i just thought if everyone started to had similar reasoning and the basis you had on the matter than no team would have ever toured pakistan since the start of war in iraq (or afghanistan for that matter).

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
India just played there and was absolutely fine so I have no problem with them supporting the bid and having it pushed through.

Now time to kick back and watch the fallout I guess. Can see a lot of withdrawals happening.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Champions Trophy stays in Pakistan

I’m obviously pleased with the decision. I hope that all players will chose to attend. However if they don’t, I will respect their decision no matter how much I disagree with it.

Sorry, I take the opposite view. This is piss poor by ICC (not the first time). Has ICC ever disagreed with BCCI ever since their rise in dollar value?

As soon as BCCI said they support Pakistan, ICC panicked and changed their views despite the dodgy reports. The same reports that were sent to Cricket Australia, England, South Africa and New Zealand who all have their concerns about the fact that "security is not guaranteed to the players' safety."

I personally have nothing against sending teams there, but when reports are as volatile as that, and given ICC's track record, this is hard to take.

Now we will see a Champions' Trophy compromised and could very well be as farcical (and dangerous) as the WOrld Cup.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Sorry, I take the opposite view. This is piss poor by ICC (not the first time). Has ICC ever disagreed with BCCI ever since their rise in dollar value?

As soon as BCCI said they support Pakistan, ICC panicked and changed their views despite the dodgy reports. The same reports that were sent to Cricket Australia, England, South Africa and New Zealand who all have their concerns about the fact that "security is not guaranteed to the players' safety."
Are you saying that security can be GAURANTEED in any other country? Even Australia and England may not be able to provide such an assurance. It would be impractical to demand such a guarantee from anyone. Also, from the reports I’ve read, the South African board were supportive of Pakistan, and they got the same security briefings as others.

I personally have nothing against sending teams there, but when reports are as volatile as that, and given ICC's track record, this is hard to take.

Now we will see a Champions' Trophy compromised and could very well be as farcical (and dangerous) as the WOrld Cup.

I am continually frustrated by this reasoning. The track record of the ICC and the PCB is 100% stellar when it comes to assessing terrorist threats. No player has ever been hurt or targeted by a terrorist in the history of the game! So when the PCB (or ICC if you prefer to blame them) says “it’s safe to tour”, they have a pretty good track record of backing up that statement.