• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Unrelated but I thought Chapman's T20I average of 31 was Hong Kong inflated. I thought he got many starts but was just a cut below; mediocre at international level. But actually he averages 36 and strikes at 143, across 40 games. Goddamn. That Pakistan series really helped.
Chapman would be the perfect 7 if he was as proficient a spinner as Ravindra - Basically a like for like for Macewell. He does have an ER of <8s in both T20Is & T20s (all) but can't recall the last time he rolled his arm over.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Chapman would be the perfect 7 if he was as proficient a spinner as Ravindra - Basically a like for like for Macewell. He does have an ER of <8s in both T20Is & T20s (all) but can't recall the last time he rolled his arm over.
This. If Chapman and Phillips could get through 10 between them, I'd go for Chapman over Neesham. Far more effective batsman.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
This. If Chapman and Phillips could get through 10 between them, I'd go for Chapman over Neesham. Far more effective batsman.
Also Dazza has bowled in 10 of his 27 ODIs for total figures of 38 overs, 1 maiden, 11 wickets for 213 @ 19.36 (e/r of 5.6). Admittedly his figures weren't flash in India and Pakistan earlier in the year.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Interesting that Stead said the following on Chapman:

Stead said Chapman and fellow power-hitter Glenn Phillips were also part-time spin bowling options in India.

Doesn't marry up with what Doull said about Chapman having the yips.
Maybe Doull just wanted to say the hoop line.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That's an interesting discussion - the Chapman v Ravindra, or the any all-rounder v another discussion.

For some reason, we seem to prize the bowling as the deal breaker, even when the scales are not balanced on batting. Chapman is a far better batsman than Ravindra, basically in all respects unless you want to believe Ravindra is a decent opener - which we don't know at international level. So Chapman is a better fill-in from 3-7, is more likely to play a long innings, is a better death hitter, better at 90-5 off 20, everything.

So how much better of a bowler does Ravindra need to be, to own the spot? Ravindra's ODI RPO is 6.5. So we're saying he is good for 0-65 off 10, although for the sake of generosity, let's give him 1-58. Let's then also say between Chapman and Phillips, they go for 70 off 10 combined. Isn't Chapman the better selection when considered he is a great hitter, an asset we don't have past Phillips?

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Credit to them, I was fully expecting another Munro 2019 situation where Allen would be persevered with throughout the whole tournament despite having not scored runs for ages beforehand, only to be randomly replaced by Henry Nicholls when things got desperate.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I do think it's only fair given the regular brickbats we give Stead (deserved, most times) that we offer a bouquet when he and the selectors get it right. We've been frustrated with selection but I think they picked the best 15 guys. I didn't expect Chapman to make it, but they saw enough in what he's done in T20Is and how his skill set can definitely help us in a tournament like this.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Pretty much agree with the squad chosen, though feel Neesham and Ferguson are lucky to be there given the performances they’ve turned in over the last 2-3 years. Milne has his limitations (fitness being the biggest one) but would’ve still chosen him over Lockie. Not a fan of the Ravindra selection but I guess the selectors’ hand was forced with Bracewell being unavailable. Also hope Latham stays fit and is in form, the backup keeping options are paper thin.

On the other hand, great to see the Chapman selection, and right decision on Young over Allen. Decent enough squad though unlike 2019 the batting seems much the stronger suit.

Flem274*

123/5
I think on balance I'd go Neesham for that #7 spot. He's a better #7 than Ravindra and we do need the bowling and despite his inconsistency he is expected to bowl unlike Chapman and can put in some solid death overs as well which we lack tbh. On his bad days we have Mitchell and Phillips. I don't believe 3 bad bowlers = 1 good bowler but this is the best option we have. He's the best bowler of the 3 and the most suited to #7.

Conway
Young
Williamson
Mitchell
Latham (wk)
Phillips
Neesham
Santner
Sodhi/Southee
Henry
Boult

They won't bring home the cup because India, Australia and England are better plus Pakistan and Bangladesh in particular should be targeting the semis at minimum, but the above side is our best chance for some solid results imo.

Chapman and Southee are good depth too.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think on balance I'd go Neesham for that #7 spot. He's a better #7 than Ravindra and we do need the bowling and despite his inconsistency he is expected to bowl unlike Chapman and can put in some solid death overs as well which we lack tbh. On his bad days we have Mitchell and Phillips. I don't believe 3 bad bowlers = 1 good bowler but this is the best option we have. He's the best bowler of the 3 and the most suited to #7.

Conway
Young
Williamson
Mitchell
Latham (wk)
Phillips
Neesham
Santner
Sodhi/Southee
Henry
Boult

They won't bring home the cup because India, Australia and England are better plus Pakistan and Bangladesh in particular should be targeting the semis at minimum, but the above side is our best chance for some solid results imo.

Chapman and Southee are good depth too.
I think it's more like

Conway
Young
Williamson
Mitchell
Latham (wk)
Phillips
Neesham/Rachin
Santner
Sodhi
Southee/Henry
Boult

I wouldn't be surprised at all to try see us meme the spinning options entirely. I'm certain it was the plan when we thought Macewell would be fit.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I haven't been able to pay much attention to the cricket atm, but from our squad (which I mostly agree with), I'd be pretty tempted to take a risk on Chapman at 7 and part-time pies as the fifth bowler.

As a strategy, I think you're more likely to get away with it in ODIs than T20s, as long as the pitches aren't reaaaaaaally flat..

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Wonder if Milne would have made the squad if not for his latest injury. Been bowling well, though can understand if selectors don't want someone so injury-prone for a long tournament. Hope he's on standby if a pace bowler injured.

But... faith in Lockie despite all the evidence to the contrary :wub: