• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official - Road to Ashes 2023

FBU

International Debutant
I have a feeling Stokes won't be doing any bowling...he was uncomfortable even batting so what would the bowling look like if this was the case?
Four fast bowlers and leave out Leach, Root as the spinner?

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
Back to this old chestnut.
Seems to be a bit of talk starting that the intention is to drop Foakes.
I think that would be massively harsh, and potentially quite unwise.
He's demonstrated excellence with the gloves and his final knock in NZ was superb. Could not have realistically done any more to keep his place.

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
I have a feeling Stokes won't be doing any bowling...he was uncomfortable even batting so what would the bowling look like if this was the case?
Four fast bowlers and leave out Leach, Root as the spinner?
Stokes and McCullum have said his leg's going to be alright. No idea what they base that on though and it does seem like pie in the sky.

Regardless, Leach will play 100% in my view (mind you I'd have pretty much said the same about Foakes and the media seem to be questioning that already).

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Back to this old chestnut.
Seems to be a bit of talk starting that the intention is to drop Foakes.
I think that would be massively harsh, and potentially quite unwise.
He's demonstrated excellence with the gloves and his final knock in NZ was superb. Could not have realistically done any more to keep his place.
I dont think it's potentially unwise......I think it's dead set stupid and nonsensical.

Just hoping it's unfounded media crap tbh. Foakes is about my 3rd name going on the team sheet right now and dropping him whilst keeping Crawley would be up there with the biggest selection blunders ever imo.

FBU

International Debutant
I dont think it's potentially unwise......I think it's dead set stupid and nonsensical.

Just hoping it's unfounded media crap tbh. Foakes is about my 3rd name going on the team sheet right now and dropping him whilst keeping Crawley would be up there with the biggest selection blunders ever imo.
Hope so as well. Last time Bairstow played for Yorkshire was in 2020 and he batted at number three. Can't see any difference between opening the batting and coming in so early. If he wants to get fit quickly he shouldn't be keeping wicket for Yorks as well.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I think it would be mad to have Bairstow keep when he'd just found his happy place as a batsman alone. If they don't want to change the middle order, drop Crawley and have Bairstow be the cannon fodder up front while the ball is moving. As an Australia supporter I'd be well and truly in favour of that rather than have him in the middle order where he's done well against us in the past.

Last edited:

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
It's hard to see how Crawley keeps his place in the side but of course that leaves the issue of who opens with Duckett.

There's no obvious solution which means that it wouldn't surprise me if we do drop Foakes and Bairstow bats at 7 and takes the gloves.

I'd probably open with Pope, not that I think he'll do particularly well but it's the least disruptive option and he'd do at least as well as Crawley would do.

Then it would be Root, Brook, Bairstow, Stokes Foakes.

The other issue batting wise is who bats at 8. Robinson is the best batter of our seamers but 8 is one spot to high. Woakes would be ideal if he's 100% fit and firing.

FBU

International Debutant
Yeah I think it would be mad to have Bairstow keep when he'd just found his happy place as a batsman alone. If they don't want to change the middle order, drop Crawley and have Bairstow be the cannon fodder up front while the ball is moving. As an Australia supporter I'd be well and truly in favour of that rather than have him in the middle order where he's done well against us in the past.
And does well opening the batting with the white ball too 58.20

Burgey

Yeah, but then again Mitchell Starc is arguably in the top 3 white ball bowlers of all time, but that doesn't necessarily translate to test matches.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I'd be very surprised if Bairstow opened. He should be batting at 5 where he did so well last summer.

For me it's got to be Pope, far from ideal, but it's the least bad option.

Root, Brook, Bairstow have to play as does Stokes of course, so it's either Crawley or Pope to open.

Pope hasn't opened in his career but he's in after a couple of overs anyways after Crawleys out for a flashy 8.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Personally I think any of Pope, Root, Stokes or Bairstow are all possible shouts to have a crack at opening. I'd probably favour Pope as Ashes81 has mentioned purely cos he's generally in early anyway. But I dont have particularly strong views on who it should be.......just so long as its Bairstow in and Crawley out and they leave Foakes right where he is.

Molehill

International Captain
It's worth pointing out that Pope is still only averaging 32 and quite often appears to be like a duracell bunny on red bull at the crease. He doesn't seem to have improved at all under McCullum/Stokes. Perhaps the change that makes the least impact is just swapping him for Bairstow at 3. I really don't think we want to make any changes to what we have at 4-7 which looks so strong.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's worth pointing out that Pope is still only averaging 32 and quite often appears to be like a duracell bunny on red bull at the crease. He doesn't seem to have improved at all under McCullum/Stokes. Perhaps the change that makes the least impact is just swapping him for Bairstow at 3. I really don't think we want to make any changes to what we have at 4-7 which looks so strong.
His average at 3 is much higher than that though. He was poor in NZ but his output has been much better in this new era.

Burgey

Personally I think any of Pope, Root, Stokes or Bairstow are all possible shouts to have a crack at opening. I'd probably favour Pope as Ashes81 has mentioned purely cos he's generally in early anyway. But I dont have particularly strong views on who it should be.......just so long as its Bairstow in and Crawley out and they leave Foakes right where he is.
Would be a terrible idea to open with Root when he’s rock solid at four

Burgey

Lol it’s true. England is in for the rudest awakening since the halcyon days of Ravishing Rick himself

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Problem with Pope opening is you then have to move someone to 3. Stokes is the best option.