• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official - Road to Ashes 2023

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But when Aus dicked them this summer we were told by erstwhile England fans they were weak as water and just wait til the Ashes. Which is it?
Yeah, England getting rollicked 3 times for under 200, including managing to lose by an innings when SA only scored 300-odd isn't exactly something to make you quiver in your boots. They have posted some decent scores at times though.

Look, it's not unlike England to claim they have reinvented the wheel when it had already been done before, so let them have their little moment.

Hopefully it's a good series. And by 'good', I mean 5-0 to Australia.

Molehill

International Captain
But when Aus dicked them this summer we were told by erstwhile England fans they were weak as water and just wait til the Ashes. Which is it?
I was merely pointing out that they weren't medium pacers.

Yeah, England getting rollicked 3 times for under 200, including managing to lose by an innings when SA only scored 300-odd isn't exactly something to make you quiver in your boots. They have posted some decent scores at times though.
You're allowed one bad match in 12. It was soon rectified.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Good to see the Aussies on here are their usual confident/arrogant selves .

Far be it from me to remind them they haven't beaten us in England for 22 years.

Twenty Two
W
E
N
T
Y
T
W
O

Son Of Coco

Far be it from me to remind them they haven't beaten us in England for 22 years.

Twenty Two
W
E
N
T
Y
T
W
O
We're just employing Muhammed Ali's 'Rope a Dope' tactic.

Admittedly, it's an extremely long version of it, but as we have shown by being bowled out for under a hundred multiple times in those 19 years while we refused to change the way we play, even on unfriendly decks, we are nothing if not patient.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
English cricket fans accusing others of arrogance is like SVB executives accusing others of financial mismanagement
I don't think you can accuse us of arrogance TBH.

The whole ethos of the Barmy Army was you must be mad to follow England abroad because we're so ****.

I've been watching us for since the 1970s and for the most part, we've been mediocre at best, often we've been outright crap.

But at the moment we're not, and in my humble opinion with home advantage, we've every chance of winning The Ashes back.

Son Of Coco

I don't think you can accuse us of arrogance TBH.

The whole ethos of the Barmy Army was you must be mad to follow England abroad because we're so ****.

I've been watching us for since the 1970s and for the most part, we've been mediocre at best, often we've been outright crap.

But at the moment we're not, and in my humble opinion with home advantage, we've every chance of winning The Ashes back.
Oh, you absolutely can.

If there's one certainty in cricket (and probably life), it's that when one country accuses the other of being 'arrogant', they're almost definitely guilty of it themselves.

Last edited:

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Marsh to open with Khawaja.

I'd love to see it.

Give him the same license Head was given against India.

Move Head to #5.

Two destructive batsman bookending Khawaja, Marnus and Smith.

I can't see Bancroft or Harris doing any better tbh.

sphynx

U19 Debutant

Twenty Two
W
E
N
T
Y
T
W
O
England haven't beaten Australian in a series of ANY description in 8 years.

E
I
G
H
T

Starfighter

Marsh to open with Khawaja.

I'd love to see it.

Give him the same license Head was given against India.

Move Head to #5.

Two destructive batsman bookending Khawaja, Marnus and Smith.

I can't see Bancroft or Harris doing any better tbh.
With respect to this and the equivalent comment you posted on BigFooty, I don't see anything from Marsh to indicate his defensive technique is any better, and unless England do prepare flat pitches it'll be needed.

Since the start of BazBall Crawley has only averaged 26 despite scoring on some flat decks.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
With respect to this and the equivalent comment you posted on BigFooty, I don't see anything from Marsh to indicate his defensive technique is any better, and unless England do prepare flat pitches it'll be needed.

Since the start of BazBall Crawley has only averaged 26 despite scoring on some flat decks.

I'd argue Bancroft and Harris won't do any better.

I see a scenario where Marsh could change a game or two from the top.

Like Head and Khawaja, opening might also just suit his game. It's 3 innings only at ODI level, but they were also 3 of his best innings of his career.

But at T20 level he's statistically much better opening or at 3.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Yeah, you might wanna check that matey.
The last time England secured a test series win against Australia was the 8th of August 2015.

Since that date, England have won 2 of 16 Ashes test matches, one of which was a 1000-1 come back.

But, but ....22 years......

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
The last time England secured a test series win against Australia was the 8th of August 2015.

Since that date, England have won 2 of 16 Ashes test matches, one of which was a 1000-1 come back.

But, but ....22 years......
"England haven't beaten Australian in a series of ANY description in 8 years."

Again check your facts......or alternatively learn to conveyn what your trying to say better.

Son Of Coco

"1st ball of the series...Anderson to Marsh...OOOHH THAT'S A BIG ONE! HE'S HIT HIM OUT OF THE STADIUM AND IT'S STILL ON AN UPWARD TRAJECTORY AS IT PASSES OVER CADBURY WORLD!"