• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official - Road to Ashes 2023

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mitch Marsh opening the batting in Tests in England would explode my mind
Look, if Crawley and Duckett can slog their way to test opener status, so can Marsh. Broad and Anderson would just be throw downs to him. Be hilarious at the old blokes' pace. They might get a bit of drift but they'd be right in the Bison's hitting arc. #BazThoughts

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
In all seriousness im getting pumped for this like few others of recent years.

Both sides here are in early with the **** talk and chest thumping and I can't recall an Ashes series where both sets of fans seem equally confident?

Edit : maybe time for the subbie mods?

sphynx

U19 Debutant
"England haven't beaten Australian in a series of ANY description in 8 years."

Again check your facts......or alternatively learn to conveyn what your trying to say better.
Kind of like "Australia haven't beaten us in England in 22 years?"

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Look, if Crawley and Duckett can slog their way to test opener status, so can Marsh. Broad and Anderson would just be throw downs to him. Be hilarious at the old blokes' pace. They might get a bit of drift but they'd be right in the Bison's hitting arc. #BazThoughts
That's a thought. Assuming England dish up roads to suit a bazball style of play then Aus could go along with it and pick biffers like Marsh who will probably dominate

I think that would be a mistake though and England should play to their historical strengths of swing/seam bowling with the dukes ball that has typically won (or drew) them Ashes series in England in recent times

Molehill

International Captain
That's a thought. Assuming England dish up roads to suit a bazball style of play then Aus could go along with it and pick biffers like Marsh who will probably dominate

I think that would be a mistake though and England should play to their historical strengths of swing/seam bowling with the dukes ball that has typically won (or drew) them Ashes series in England in recent times
If you look at 2022, only Trent Bridge against NZ was really a road where there were two 500 scores. Most matches were in the 350 kind of areas.

If Australia cannot bowl England out in under 100 overs, they'll be conceding well over 400 runs.

I'd be surprised if there are any draws in this series unless it rains for 3 days.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Mitchell Marsh is your typical Aussie all rounder - not good enough at either discipline to be near a test team. Averages 25 with the bat and 38 with the ball.

It's a toss up who would be worse to open the batting with Khawaja - Marsh, Head or Warner.

Jimmy and co must be losing sleep over that little lot ?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't say I'm super confident about Australia's chances, still a couple of potential holes (most notably up top) in this team. But to say they are complete cactus before the series like some English fans are saying is utter nonsense

TJB is genuinely the most reasonable poster in this page of the thread, which is saying quite something

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't say I'm super confident about Australia's chances, still a couple of potential holes (most notably up top) in this team. But to say they are complete cactus before the series like some English fans are saying is utter nonsense

TJB is genuinely the most reasonable poster in this page of the thread, which is saying quite something
Yeah that goes both ways mate and it's just **** talk.......plenty of ur blokes are pretty bullish about it too.

Seriously I'm much the same as you. I think in England these teams will put on a ****ing good contest. I'm confident enough just because of weight of history and the way England are going about their cricket now.......would I bet my first born on us, yeah probably not.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
As I've said all along, it's likely to be a close series.

If the series was being played Down Under then the Aussies would be strong favourites.

But it isn't and home advantage is massive in test cricket and that's why I think we can win.

Spark

Global Moderator
Bancroft has inked a deal with Somerset for the county season; you'd think that if he does well in the first few games then he'll nab himself a spot in the Ashes squad or maybe even in the XI.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Bancroft has inked a deal with Somerset for the county season; you'd think that if he does well in the first few games then he'll nab himself a spot in the Ashes squad or maybe even in the XI.
Is Renshaw not playing county now? He did well for Somerset last year and AFAIK he was set to play with them this year.

WICFan

U19 Captain
Is Renshaw not playing county now? He did well for Somerset last year and AFAIK he was set to play with them this year.
Renshaw's in the Australia 'A' Squad to play in New Zealand, although Handscomb will also be on that tour and I think he has a County stint at Leics for the first few games.

Bancroft will be at Somerset, Harris at Gloucs, Labuschange and Neser for Glamorgan, Whiteman at Northants, McAndrew and Smith at Sussex and Abbott will be at Surrey.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Renshaw's in the Australia 'A' Squad to play in New Zealand, although Handscomb will also be on that tour and I think he has a County stint at Leics for the first few games.

Bancroft will be at Somerset, Harris at Gloucs, Labuschange and Neser for Glamorgan, Whiteman at Northants, McAndrew and Smith at Sussex and Abbott will be at Surrey.
I'm just surprised Renshaw was dropped by Somerset after going well last year tbh.

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
I always thought that Bancroft deliberately tried to get seen doing his stuff with the ball as he felt insecure about his ability to be in the team as an opener and was showing the world that he had a bigger role in the team than that. Seems like a right dopey so and so.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain

We're being very accommodating to the Aussies with counties queuing up to give their players some game time before the Ashes.

I've no issue with that but if the boot was on the other foot, would this be reciprocated by the Aussie state sides. ?