• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official - Road to Ashes 2023

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Assuming Stokes is fit enough to bowl, I think we'll play 2 of Anderson, Broad and Robinson and either Wood or Archer. Leach is obviously our first choice spinner.

If Woakes is fit and firing then he'll come into the equation as his batting is so handy at 8. If he doesn't play, then we do have a bit of a tail, even more so if Robinson doesn't play.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't rotate the bowlers when there's back to back tests.

Stokes being able to bowl is so crucial otherwise we're going in with 4 bowlers which is never ideal.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah he’s got that recurring knee issue doesn’t he?
He's going over to play in the IPL despite an ashes being 4 months away and his knee giving him issues in the new zealand series, which i'm not a fan of given he's the test captain but what can you do.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Yeah he’s got that recurring knee issue doesn’t he?
Yeah, he's been really struggling for a while. I think its just wear and tear and we could do without him playing the bloody IPL.

He seems to think he'll be ok for the Ashes but time will tell. When he's fit he just gives us so much balance in the team.

Green does the same for you. He's not at Stokes' level yet but he looks a seriously good prospect.

FBU

International Debutant
How will they fit Anderson, Broad, Archer, Leach and Robinson into the same team? Is that on the basis Bairstow comes back into the top six and keeps? Leaves a very long tail
They will pick 3 fast bowlers and Stokes, Leach. The six I mention will be in the squad.
I'd say for Australia Cummins, Hazelwood, Starc, Boland, Green, Neser with Lyon.

England won't worry about the long tail. 1-7 to get all the runs and hopefully we declare. :)

sphynx

U19 Debutant
I think Head’s innings in Hobart was worthy of praise and fair to say it was on a seaming track. But as I said elsewhere, playing away isn’t just about mastering the pitch. Even aside from all the mental aspects of playing away in sports, especially international sports, I’ve always felt in England it’s the overhead and atmospheric conditions as much as it is the pitch that batsmen can struggle with. Head’s innings in Hobart doesn’t prove he can do it in England, because it wasn’t in England, but fair enough to think he’s got a better chance than previously based on such innings.
Why is it only Hobart?

His knock at the GABBA was on a pitch with more sideways movement than he will probably experience this Ashes series, against a better bowling attack to boot…

People love to write him off in certain conditions before giving him a chance to prove himself.

He’s a different batsman to what he was 3-4 years ago and is turned into one of the worlds best.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is it only Hobart?

His knock at the GABBA was on a pitch with more sideways movement than he will probably experience this Ashes series, against a better bowling attack to boot…

People love to write him off in certain conditions before giving him a chance to prove himself.

He’s a different batsman to what he was 3-4 years ago and is turned into one of the worlds best.
This is what i'm saying. Head made 2 brilliant hundreds against england's attack starting vs the new ball in crunch situations last ashes, one of which had as much movement as you'll get in england. I don't see why that wouldn't translate to success over there now. He's not done well in county cricket recently but I think that was pre his 2021 ashes, would need to fact check that.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah the bloke who’s in his 40s taking new ball wickets is downhill skiing, that’s how it works
Mate, I think he is doing well. It's an impressive effort to still be playing, let alone taking wickets.

It was your suggestion that he would only turn up once we'd been trampled that shocked me. Very unlike you.