• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "ok" Meme Needs to Die

Aritro

International Regular
I don’t mind it so much here because I’ve interacted with the guys who did it before and know they’re just being silly even though I think the ok meme is basically dead unless you use it a lot more creatively or subversively.

However, I think doing it to a new poster or even a poster you don’t really have a dynamic with is obnoxious unless the ted talk itself was offensive.

I just hope that people will be smart enough not to use it in obvious detailed discussion threads like the book thread.
Haha, yeah for clarity I wouldn't have done it if I didn't know you somewhat.

Would be fairly happy for the OK meme to die though, it does get annoying.

Aritro

International Regular
To be fair, the post - while containing some very worthwhile points - also contained about 48 repetitive uses of the phrases "blue pill" and "red pill", which felt like it warranted some sort of pisstake. It might have been more mature and cerebral to let it go but I'm a man, and at that, one with a slightly subnormal talent for impulse control. Not a Tibetan monk.

I regret not coming up with something cleverer though. I also regret not realising when I was about 12 that the world doesn't need another generic as **** medium pacer and taking up leg spin instead.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My eyes just scroll past the ok posts automatically like they're promoted tweets. It hasn't been funny since about the 2nd time it was done, which feels like it was some time in 2016.

Probably for the best that someone called them out.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
at least it they replaced the other annoying one word reply that dominated CW for a while

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
My eyes just scroll past the ok posts automatically like they're promoted tweets. It hasn't been funny since about the 2nd time it was done, which feels like it was some time in 2016.

Probably for the best that someone called them out.
The truncation feature from the new forum software makes it so it barely registers anymore, but yeah it was really only funny maybe a handful of times. The best usage wasn't "ok" anyway, it was this, which again is a lot less effective with the truncation.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Okay so genuine question, what do people think our approach to examples like this http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/thr...cess-and-allowing-chucking.89579/post-4931584 should be? Because to me this is egregious, and actively discourages people from making serious contributions to discussions or starting interesting threads. Am I wrong, and this is just something I should lighten up about?
The latter.

I honestly never found any OK post to be offending to my knowledge. I guess maybe I am desensitized to it as it has basically been a staple of our posting here for a while. I suppose while I have made the odd effort post that was long and got the OK treatment, I never really felt it to be insulting or anything. As I had posted earlier, maybe we should be more considerate towards the new members and their posts. But for guys who have been here a while, I feel it is just part of the fun, at least IMO.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In that instance, the OP and the OK'er are pretty well known to one another so I don't think there's any offence meant or taken. It might well be different if it was a new poster I suppose.

Kind of agree with Daemon & HB on this one.

Which probably means I'm wrong. Give him seven!