• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "ok" Meme Needs to Die

Teja.

Global Moderator
I don’t mind it so much here because I’ve interacted with the guys who did it before and know they’re just being silly even though I think the ok meme is basically dead unless you use it a lot more creatively or subversively.

However, I think doing it to a new poster or even a poster you don’t really have a dynamic with is obnoxious unless the ted talk itself was offensive.

I just hope that people will be smart enough not to use it in obvious detailed discussion threads like the book thread.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was funny the first few months, but it's killing the forum as hard as the endless comparison threads but far more under the radar. Any time someone puts some effort into a post or response, especially if the ideas are unorthodox or earnest, they're drowned in a chorus of our version of snarky teehee iM s0 cLeVeR internet culture.

Teja made a pretty interesting post today and he's copped two oks in response. I don't mean to call those guys out specifically because they're not alone or even the biggest users of it, but it was a good example to use here and spurred me to say this instead of just thinking it for ages. Teja made probably my favourite OT post ever during lockdown and today that would get a chorus of "ok" which is lame.

Likewise in CC, it does more harm than good. My favourite ever post was by either Uppercut or PEWS about Sehwag in like 2009 or something and that was a pretty big challenge to the conventional wisdom of this website at the time and caused a lot of sooking. It didn't quite stick like PEWS longevity stuff where I think Walsh was the example but the Sehwag post was a great post and today he'd just get meme'd.

"ok" is not for beating up on people making a long post or expressing something left field or genuine, it was first used for people who were getting a bit punishing in a thread or posting like dicks. Atm it's basically just a tool to beat "too cool to try or express what i think" conformism into people. It was a contributor to me taking a month or two out of the forum tbh, though mainly I was just busy.

It actually is starting to annoy me a bit when someone makes a genuine effort and just gets meme'd. You're not cool and you're not funny, otherwise you wouldn't post on here. Try contributing something yourself for a change.

I include myself in contributing to this meme because I have definitely done it probably. Cbf to check. Athlai had it coming.

Right, you may now proceed with the inevitable. Get it out of your system and I'll see you in 3 pages.
Basically the CW version of 'what?'

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was funny the first few months, but it's killing the forum as hard as the endless comparison threads but far more under the radar. Any time someone puts some effort into a post or response, especially if the ideas are unorthodox or earnest, they're drowned in a chorus of our version of snarky teehee iM s0 cLeVeR internet culture.
This is a massive over exaggeration imho.

At worst it's annoying.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don’t mind it so much here because I’ve interacted with the guys who did it before and know they’re just being silly even though I think the ok meme is basically dead unless you use it a lot more creatively or subversively.

However, I think doing it to a new poster or even a poster you don’t really have a dynamic with is obnoxious unless the ted talk itself was offensive.

I just hope that people will be smart enough not to use it in obvious detailed discussion threads like the book thread.
Yeah it's definitely going to be perceived as an outright insult if you don't know them well.

And yeah, I've done it as an insult.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah memes are good. I don't think people are posting the ok meme instead of engaging seriously - they're doing it instead of not replying. People who want to engage seriously with long posts still do.
There are quite a few times when the same posters who also engage in serious discussion on the topic also post the ok. I think @Teja. said it best. Like most memes its fun to do it to established folks who know its meant to be fun.

Bijed

International Regular
I don't think people are posting the ok meme instead of engaging seriously - they're doing it instead of not replying.
This is almost certainly true, but getting an "ok" or similar in response to a post can be annoying/upsetting(?), which just not replying wouldn't be. It can come across as bring a stick for no reason sometimes imo, even though that's nearly always not what the "ok" poster intended

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
There are quite a few times when the same posters who also engage in serious discussion on the topic also post the ok. I think @Teja. said it best. Like most memes its fun to do it to established folks who know its meant to be fun.
But even then, newer members and even visitors see it and, not being aware of the "fun" element, gain a poor impression. I can't really see where the "fun" aspect comes from and find it annoying.