• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "ok" Meme Needs to Die

Flem274*

123/5
It was funny the first few months, but it's killing the forum as hard as the endless comparison threads but far more under the radar. Any time someone puts some effort into a post or response, especially if the ideas are unorthodox or earnest, they're drowned in a chorus of our version of snarky teehee iM s0 cLeVeR internet culture.

Teja made a pretty interesting post today and he's copped two oks in response. I don't mean to call those guys out specifically because they're not alone or even the biggest users of it, but it was a good example to use here and spurred me to say this instead of just thinking it for ages. Teja made probably my favourite OT post ever during lockdown and today that would get a chorus of "ok" which is lame.

Likewise in CC, it does more harm than good. My favourite ever post was by either Uppercut or PEWS about Sehwag in like 2009 or something and that was a pretty big challenge to the conventional wisdom of this website at the time and caused a lot of sooking. It didn't quite stick like PEWS longevity stuff where I think Walsh was the example but the Sehwag post was a great post and today he'd just get meme'd.

"ok" is not for beating up on people making a long post or expressing something left field or genuine, it was first used for people who were getting a bit punishing in a thread or posting like dicks. Atm it's basically just a tool to beat "too cool to try or express what i think" conformism into people. It was a contributor to me taking a month or two out of the forum tbh, though mainly I was just busy.

It actually is starting to annoy me a bit when someone makes a genuine effort and just gets meme'd. You're not cool and you're not funny, otherwise you wouldn't post on here. Try contributing something yourself for a change.

I include myself in contributing to this meme because I have definitely done it probably. Cbf to check. Athlai had it coming.

Right, you may now proceed with the inevitable. Get it out of your system and I'll see you in 3 pages.

Bijed

International Regular
Yeah, this forum is great when we do proper discussions, but it feels like there's more of a tendency towards stuff like "ok" than there used to be and, similar to Flem, it's a part of why I mostly just read the forum these days and don't post much

shortpitched713

International Captain
Joke's on you guys, I make my long, and thoughtful cricket opinion posts using evidence and cogent argumentation for the sole purpose of seeing the beauty of my own keystrokes. The cool feminine curves of the font, bewitching my mind and ensnaring my senses. In the face of such a pure joy, nay a perfect actualization, what is the disregard of a simple "ok" from the lowest of the low who frequent this space? Any venom and contempt from such a source has as much power to disturb my ecstasy as the warmest summer breeze passing over my buttcheeks.

Shady Slim

International Coach
excellent post! my longposts are dreadful and unreadable but i always got the feeling that the ok meme was generally dissuasive for most ppl who wanted to really lay down the law on subjects like what the tej’s just done on tate; but those, when done well, are always the best posts made on the forum and contribute most to discussion broadly; it has to go.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Guys I can appreciate the OP but Shady saying the ok meme discourages him from making long posts really throws a spanner in the works….
i said i think it discourages others i'm unrestrained baybee

like on a real though imagine you're a new poster and you've made some pretty insightful long post in CC and then a bunch of cw stalwarts just hit you with the "ok", you'd never do it again lol

shortpitched713

International Captain
Alright folks, let's talk about something that often gets overlooked in these discussions: first chance average. In my opinion, this statistic is crucial in determining the true greatness of a Test batsman.

And when it comes to first chance average, Brian Lara blows Sachin Tendulkar out of the water. Lara's first chance average is a staggering 74.36, while Tendulkar's is a mere 57.84. This means that when Lara was given an opportunity to establish himself in a Test match, he made the most of it, consistently scoring big runs and setting a solid foundation for his team.

But it's not just about the numbers, it's about the way Lara played the game. He was a true master of the craft, able to take on the best bowlers in the world and dominate them with his elegant strokeplay. He had the ability to score runs in any conditions, against any team, and always looked to take the attack to the bowlers.

On the other hand, Tendulkar, as great as he was, had a tendency to play a more defensive game and relied heavily on his technique rather than his natural flair. He was a brilliant player, no doubt, but Lara had that certain x-factor that set him apart from the rest.

So let's give credit where credit is due, and acknowledge that Brian Lara is the true king of Test cricket, especially when it comes to the vital statistic of first chance average.