• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Howe_zat

Audio File
They where praising him in the PAK tour and still rested him to play jacks in the 1st and 2nd test.
he had the wild ****s for the first test. 2nd test was very weird but will jacks had taken a six for so they thought they'd try something funky i guess. figured it out for the third

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Overall, yes, but he's averaged 41 since batting at 3 under Stokes & McCullum. He must be our most effective number 3 who isn't Joe Root since Trott was at his peak.
Yeah Howe and I touched on it in the match thread the other day but I’m still surprised when I see his low average; a bit like it used to be seeing Anderson/Broad’s which both took a long time to drop below 30 despite having both been guns for ages

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Stokes opening is actually going to have to happen.
I really think it is. He can play to get his eye in before opening up the shoulders. And I think he'll be a better fit there rather than coming in a 6 trying to smack every ball into row Z

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
He definitely won't be in the preferred first xi but he's a good option to play a couple of tests in the series if required. Should be in the group of 6 or 7 seamers that could be used. Has skipped the IPL this year so should have some first class cricket behind him in the leadup to the series.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He definitely won't be in the preferred first xi but he's a good option to play a couple of tests in the series if required. Should be in the group of 6 or 7 seamers that could be used. Has skipped the IPL this year so should have some first class cricket behind him in the leadup to the series.
Yeah you would rather have Woakes as an injury replacement than Potts or an Overton.

Howe_zat

Audio File
3+ matched would be a fairer comparison wouldn't it??

but regardless, interesting to see that crawley doesn't stand out a mile in this company in terms of opportunities v performance as you might imagine would have been the case.
I think he does stand out compared to Burns and Sibley, unfortunately, in that his average includes a 267, so is more skewed away from his typical output. He rarely makes a start, which isn't a good quality in an opener who is supposed to protect the middle order.

Burns and Sibley made 20+ on 50% of their scores
Crawley makes it to 10+ on 50% of his scores

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
I think he does stand out compared to Burns and Sibley, unfortunately, in that his average includes a 267, so is more skewed away from his typical output. He rarely makes a start, which isn't a good quality in an opener who is supposed to protect the middle order.

Burns and Sibley made 20+ on 50% of their scores
Crawley makes it to 10+ on 50% of his scores
:laugh:

That's a fair point. 100s and 50s compares equally or favourably with Jennings, Sibley and Butcher with similar games played and averages though. I'd still stand by my comment that the difference doesn't stand out (at least without further examination) like you might expect.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Stokes has a fantastic record against pace bowling in English conditions, better than root last time I checked (think this was before roots purple patch, could be different now), his issue in test was not being amazing vs spin. Reckon hede take to opening really well.

FBU

International Debutant
Last Ashes in England Woakes and Archer played 4 Tests
Archer 22 wickets at 22.27
Woakes 10 wickets at 33.10

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
Woakes has been great for England (obviously mostly at home) and could well have played more than he has.

I'd be pretty surprised if he plays another test though. England have so many bowling options.